Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/22/2021, 12:11 PM   #1
cbass488
Registered Member

Tank still good?

I just pulled an old 90 gal out of the garage. My plan is to use it as a sump for my new set up. The plastic rim around the top is cracked significantly in a couple places. Is the plastic rim there to keep the walls together? Or was it there for aesthetics? Can I use as it or do I need to replace this plastic rim before I fill with water?

cbass488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2021, 04:24 PM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

That depends on who manfactued it. If it's an original Oceanic then the trim is not structural and is mostly for protectong the edges anf making a lip to keep covers in place. Most other manufacurers yhe plastic frame is structural and the tank will need appropriate bracing to minimize failure if the trim is cracked, broken or missing.

Old 02/22/2021, 09:14 PM   #3
cbass488
Registered Member

Not sure on the manufacturer. I did read about bracing with a piece of glass and silicone. Going to need to add baffles anyways. Will glass held to the sides with silicone actually hold tight enough to brace against bowing?

Old 02/23/2021, 07:57 AM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

Yes, but make sure to leave a 1mm gap in the joints for the silicone.

Old 02/23/2021, 10:26 AM   #5
cbass488
Registered Member

Cool, thank you very much! I wouldn’t have expected silicone to hold that tight.