Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2007, 04:06 PM   #151
loosecannon
Registered Member

Sorry peter I hope they come up with some kind of test for cyni. peter what do you know about . The ues of trankwellisers in the caribbean. P.S. sorry for the spelling.

Current Tank Info: 44gal. 40 gal. 75 gal. 30gal. and working on a 75gal. rigt
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2007, 04:20 PM   #152
hulley
Registered Member

Does anyone know of reputable online retailers that does not sell drug caught fish?

hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2007, 04:42 PM   #153
happyface888
Registered Member

Does anyone have any info on Mertensii Butterfly? I see them alot at fish stores and wondered if they are hard to keep.

happyface888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2007, 04:46 PM   #154
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
Does anyone have any info on Mertensii Butterfly? I see them alot at fish stores and wondered if they are hard to keep.
Very difficult to keep and certainly one of those Butterflies in the first part of the list, they're specialized coral feeders.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2007, 04:50 PM   #155
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hulley
Does anyone know of reputable online retailers that does not sell drug caught fish?
I'm not aware of any that guarantee their fish were not collected using drugs. There have been strides made in testing for fish caught using cyanide, testing the bags and holding facilities is possible, they're just not tested all that often from what I've heard. Also, it used to be that the Phillipines was the only place where cyanide was used regulalrly, but now it has spread throughout the Indo-Pacific.

Unread 07/15/2007, 04:53 PM   #156
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon
Sorry peter I hope they come up with some kind of test for cyni. peter what do you know about . The ues of trankwellisers in the caribbean. P.S. sorry for the spelling.

I think clove oil is about as bad as it gets in the Caribbean.

Unread 07/25/2007, 08:48 PM   #157
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Congratulations!

This thread has been nominated for "August's Thread of the Month" Please take a minute to check all the nominees and vote here

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 08:09 AM   #158
techigirl78
Registered Member

Very nice list. Just a few comments.

For the lionfish (dwarf) listed, I'd probably mention that getting one that is eating is key. I got my dwarf zebra from the LFS eating frozen food and have had good luck with it.

I'd probably add all or most scorpionfish are best left for experienced keepers. It took me a while to get mine eating good.

In additon to the canary fang blenny (which is a great little fish), I'd list all the Meiacanthus blennies. I would also put the Plagiotremus blennies on the list under extremely agressive. Pointing out that they can look similar to neon gobies as I've seen a few people here get the blennies when they thought/were told they were gobies.

techigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 08:35 AM   #159
rssjsb
Registered Member

techiegirl78 - I'm curious about your comments on engineer "gobies/blennies" being aggressive.

I understand people getting confused by their juvenile form and then being surprised that they get so big, but I've never read the "extremely aggressive" thing before - can you elaborate?

Unread 07/26/2007, 10:41 AM   #160
rbursek
Moved On

great thread Peter!!!!!!! I have a Potter's since Dec 06, from Drf&S, did and have not had a problem at all, he is in with a Purple and Sailfin tang and some Lyretail Antuis, Reef Chromies, Bluestar wrasse, 6 line, 3 K. Cardinals, and a Mandrin. He is as active and agressive as the tangs, which are the same size. When I feed dried sheet algae he is right there playing tug of war with one of the tangs. Since you are from the area i will email you about a LFS, which I lost alot of LS from before I stated dating an employee there who works in the fish room and got the real stories. Lost a blennie and so di a buddy of mine after are tanks cleaned up. We think they starve to death, even with 150lb of rock in are tanks.
Bob

rbursek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 10:56 AM   #161
nsreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hulley
www.jlaquatics.com

From their website:

"We at J&L Aquatics do not believe in the practice of fish caught using drugs. Although these fish tend to be cheaper, it harms the environment, and tends to cause organ failure in fish.

We do not purchase or sell drug (cyanide) caught fish.

We also believe a fish that does not have a reasonable chance to be sustained in a home aquarium should remain in the wild. You will therefore not see many types of fish (certain species of butterflies, filefish, etc.) for sale by us. These fish are better left in the wild where they can flourish.

We will not ship a fish that is unhealthy or not eating. Our customers deserve the highest quality of fish, and this includes receiving animals that are eating, and free of disease.

90% of our fish our gained through the actual collectors not wholesalers or trans-shippers. This means that we have total control over how our fish are collected, handled, and shipped. "

I am inclined to believe every word of this, as I have dealt with JL on many occassions and found the quality of their live stock to be second to none. How much help this is to those of you south of the border i don't know, but for us canucks they are great!

nsreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 11:16 AM   #162
rbursek
Moved On

Nice site!!! But if I remember right they will not ship to the US and vise versa do to Customs holds and delays in shipping?
Bob

Unread 07/26/2007, 11:18 AM   #163
rbursek
Moved On

Peter,
I forgot to mention I got a pink tube coral from DFS about 6 weeks ago and it is doing great.
Bob

Unread 07/26/2007, 05:26 PM   #164
techigirl78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rssjsb
techiegirl78 - I'm curious about your comments on engineer "gobies/blennies" being aggressive.

I understand people getting confused by their juvenile form and then being surprised that they get so big, but I've never read the "extremely aggressive" thing before - can you elaborate?
It looks like the engineer gobies/blennies are part of the Pholidichthys genus. I don't know much about engineer gobies besides that they get big as you said. The genus of blennies I mentioned was Plagiotremus. They are in the same family as members like the canary fang blenny, but belong to a different genus that is much more aggressive. Here's a link for some info/pictures of them: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sabertoothblens.htm. Checkout the bluestripe fangblenny in particular.

techigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2007, 09:22 PM   #165
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbursek
Peter,
I forgot to mention I got a pink tube coral from DFS about 6 weeks ago and it is doing great.
Bob
If it's non photosynthtic keep it fed with small foods such as rotifers and it just might continue to do great. Unfortunately, many non-photosynthetic corals starve to death over the course of several months.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and for getting the thread nominated. I've been on vacation for the last week and I'll try to get some revisions done on the list soon.

Peter

Unread 07/26/2007, 09:46 PM   #166
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techigirl78
Very nice list. Just a few comments.

For the lionfish (dwarf) listed, I'd probably mention that getting one that is eating is key. I got my dwarf zebra from the LFS eating frozen food and have had good luck with it.

I'd probably add all or most scorpionfish are best left for experienced keepers. It took me a while to get mine eating good.

In additon to the canary fang blenny (which is a great little fish), I'd list all the Meiacanthus blennies. I would also put the Plagiotremus blennies on the list under extremely agressive. Pointing out that they can look similar to neon gobies as I've seen a few people here get the blennies when they thought/were told they were gobies.

Thanks for the reminder about the Plagiotremus Blennies. I had forgotten about them and though they're quite rare in the trade, they're certainly worth a mention. I'll also change some of the notes on the other things you mentioned.

Unread 07/27/2007, 12:30 PM   #167
kingfish7
Registered Member

very nice work, you produced a very informative writing. I was also shocked about the Clown tang but I understand what you mean by regretting keeping one. Mine was so mean I think it gave my Soha tang a run for its money.

kingfish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2007, 01:40 PM   #168
lpsluver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
Would still appreciate some more feedback on the Potter's since I'm seriously considering adding it to the second part of the list. More feedback on the Blue Reef Chromis is appreciated as well.
Peter...I am by no means an expert but as some additional feedback on the Potters I'd like to offer up that at the very least they are an "expert only" species. Since we cannot be guaranteed how well they were shipped it is up to us to choose wisely and provide the best environment. Both of these things come with experience. When choosing, are they active and responsive to you presence (maybe even a little arrogant)? Will they eat while at the LFS? How often do you feed your tank and do you have adequate forage in your tank for the Potters? I believe that a "no" to any one of these questions means to leave it alone. And, again, experience helps to honestly answer these questions.

I have one but only bought it after having answered yes to all questions. The first time I tried a Potters was month 3 in the hobby. It is now 5.5 years later and I feel experienced enough to own one.

BTW...what a great list! Thanks!!

Current Tank Info: What tank?
lpsluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2007, 01:16 PM   #169
zemuron114
Moved On

online retailers can claim they never buy drug caught fish but in the end they have no idea if it is or isn't, because most wholesalers dont know (especially from indo or the like) Just because they claim it, doesn't mean it is 100% true. It is a start though.

Peter - there are many threads around RC on potters angels with a ton of info

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2007, 03:22 PM   #170
Gordonious
Registered Member

"Regal Angelfish (Red Sea Specimens tend to be hardier and more willing to accept prepared foods and the more recent trend to keep this fish in reef aquariums helps with survivability)"

Why do you think it is that keeping them in reef aquariums helps? They get important vitamins eating zoanthids?

Gordonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2007, 03:53 PM   #171
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordonious
"Regal Angelfish (Red Sea Specimens tend to be hardier and more willing to accept prepared foods and the more recent trend to keep this fish in reef aquariums helps with survivability)"

Why do you think it is that keeping them in reef aquariums helps? They get important vitamins eating zoanthids?
Well, they certainly get extra nutrition from various algae, tunicates, sponges that show up on live rock. The availability of a more natural food source found on live rock does a lot to sustain them while they get accustomed to thier new surroundings and start accepting prepared foods. I wouldn't suggest people try them in reef tanks, especially mixed reefs, but those that have had success with them not nipping usually have SPS dominated tanks. The Regals that do nip at corals are getting a more diverse diet though

Unread 07/28/2007, 03:54 PM   #172
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

If you guys like the thread/list don't forget to vote for it as the thread of the month

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1170759

Unread 07/28/2007, 04:32 PM   #173
DaveP
Registered Member

Back on one of the earlier pages you were asking for info from people with Potters experience.

I kept a Potters in a 55 gallon fish only for 4 years! I picked a healthy fish that was not only eating frozen food but constantly grazing in the tank at the fish store.

Poor guy died one summer when the tank temp reached 88

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2007, 04:38 PM   #174
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveP
Back on one of the earlier pages you were asking for info from people with Potters experience.

I kept a Potters in a 55 gallon fish only for 4 years! I picked a healthy fish that was not only eating frozen food but constantly grazing in the tank at the fish store.

Poor guy died one summer when the tank temp reached 88
Thanks Dave, it's pretty clear now that they're one of those fish wtih lots of failures and also some success stories. Getting a particularly good specimen from the start seems to be pretty key.

Unread 07/28/2007, 04:49 PM   #175
Brock Fluharty
Registered Member

If you buy CB seahorses, they don't need live food.

Current Tank Info: 75g aggressive reef, 20g A. percula tank, 29g H. erectus seahorse tank
Brock Fluharty is offline   Reply With Quote