Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Carey1465
Registered Member

Reef Octopus bio pellet reactor issue

I have the reef octopus br-140 bio pellet reactor and I’m having a hard time getting a even flow of water through the pellets. As the water enters the reactor through the bottom, it mainly pushes off to one side. In return, the pellets don’t tumble on the other side of the reactor. I’ve contacted Coralvue and they think it’s a clogged pipe or screen. I performed my monthly cleaning today and took the entire reactor apart and cleaned it from top to bottom and I’m still having the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I tried to adjust the intake pipe that goes down into the pellets but no luck. I may have to contact coralvue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carey1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 05:23 AM   #2
fishyguy7
Registered Member

down in the bottom of the unit there is a piece of plastic sticking up, is the vertical pipe from the top sitting on this piece ? from time to time when I put mine back together I wouldn't get it on that part and would have issues as you describe

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 05:34 AM   #3
Carey1465
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyguy7 View Post
down in the bottom of the unit there is a piece of plastic sticking up, is the vertical pipe from the top sitting on this piece ? from time to time when I put mine back together I wouldn't get it on that part and would have issues as you describe

Once the pipe gets so far down in the pellets, you can feel the pipe sitting on the that plastic piece. I took the lid off 5-10 times to try to get a better position but still no luck. I submitted ticket to coralvue this morning.

Unread 08/28/2017, 06:28 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did it every work?
Are the pellets brand new?
What pump are you using?

Unread 08/28/2017, 06:44 AM   #5
Carey1465
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Did it every work?
Are the pellets brand new?
What pump are you using?

It tumbled the pellets when I first started the setup but I only had 1-2 cups of pellets. I probably have 4-5 cups of pellets now. This reactor has been set up since April of this year and I’m using a Sicce Syncra silent 4.0 pump that Bull Reef supply recommended.

Unread 08/28/2017, 07:02 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

That may be um "normal" then and you would need more flow to achieve more consistent tumbling with that amount of biopellets..

Very "consistent" tumbling with how simplistic those reactors are just isn't always possible.. Even just being tipped at a slight angle will cause more flow on one side vs the others..

Can't say for sure but I'd bet what you are experiencing is just how its going to be and nothing you can do about it expect more flow possibly..

Unread 08/28/2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Carey1465
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
That may be um "normal" then and you would need more flow to achieve more consistent tumbling with that amount of biopellets..

Very "consistent" tumbling with how simplistic those reactors are just isn't always possible.. Even just being tipped at a slight angle will cause more flow on one side vs the others..

Can't say for sure but I'd bet what you are experiencing is just how its going to be and nothing you can do about it expect more flow possibly..

That pump is pretty powerful. When I get home I’ll have to post a quick video. The pellets are blasting from one side of the reactor while the other side is dead.

Unread 09/23/2018, 01:39 PM   #8
marcus aurelius
Registered Member

Reactor

Hey what did you do. I have the same reactor with the same pump. And mine has just started doing the same thing. I have also taken it apart several times.

marcus aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote