Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2004, 08:36 AM   #1
Anemone
Cloning Around

SoCal Area Marine Hobbyist Clubs

This forum is not longer a "club" forum. If you are interested in a Southern California marine hobbyist club in your area, check:

-Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County (http://www.masvc.com/) for Ventura County,

-The Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angeles County (www.maslac.org) for Los Angeles and areas north,

-The Southern California Marine Aquarium Society (www.scmas.org) for southern Los Angeles County and Orange County, and

-The San Diego Marine Aquarium Society (www.sdmas.com) for the San Diego area.

-North County Reef and Marine Aquarium Society of San Diego (www.NCRMAS.com)

-Inland Empire club (http://www.inlandreefs.net/) for the Riverside, San Bernadino, Temecula area.

-San Fernando Valley Reefers (SFVR) (www.SFVR.org) for the San Fernando Valley.

-Southern California Reef Keepers www.scrk.org

Kevin

Last edited by geo; 02/20/2010 at 07:16 PM.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Kevin, thanks for still keeping the MASLAC forum.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Old Yeller Tang
Premium Member

So who's the MASLAC officer in the MASLAC forum?
With Pierce gone, there goes half the post made there!

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!

Current Tank Info: 170g in-wall reef, In The Zone!(ozone that is), EuroReef CS8-2 Skimmer, 150lbs. lr & no sand, (2) 400w mh's, (1) 110 actinic vho's, 1hp Aqua Medic chiller
Old Yeller Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Konadog

Roland, algaeguy or Scott is the MASLAC officer that usualy posts upcoming events. I know the forum is very quiet compared to this forum, but it is usually just club info, not the day to day stuff.

Pierce will be missed, but I think he will still add his 2 cents worth just to rub it in from time to time

-Ken

Unread 06/04/2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Old Yeller Tang
Premium Member

That's cool that Scott takes the time do provide info for the MASLAC forum. Still surprised not one member from SCMAS wanted to do the same for their forum.

Yep, Pierce will definitely be missed! Just call him NY_Reef nowadays!

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!

Current Tank Info: 170g in-wall reef, In The Zone!(ozone that is), EuroReef CS8-2 Skimmer, 150lbs. lr & no sand, (2) 400w mh's, (1) 110 actinic vho's, 1hp Aqua Medic chiller
Old Yeller Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2004, 12:35 PM   #6
nanocat
Moved On

There was a SCMAS member who volunteered. I was not at the steering meeting, so I have no idea whether he didn't show, or the club just made a decision to utilize their SCMAS website.

nanocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2004, 01:33 PM   #7
NicoleC
Registered Member

There will be an effort to post upcoming club events on this forum (as well as the web site), for information purposes.

(And no, I'm not the volunteer.)

Current Tank Info: 40g Indo-Pacific lagoon with tank bred livestock
NicoleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2004, 11:53 PM   #8
cali_reef
Registered Member

Hey, I am barely gone and you guys are talking about me already?

You guys should be glad the socal clubs are so active and have some great reefers, the NY reef scene is nothing like it. I will miss everyone and the great frag swaps.

Can I post events happening in NY?

cali_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2004, 02:01 PM   #9
TangTied
Moved On

Quote:
Also I live in HB what club are you guys in?
(the above quote from another post)

This is EXACTLY the type of confusion that can be expected from now on since the name change....

I can't forsee ANY benefit to be derived from deleting our club name from this forum (SCMAS)...nor any logic in doing so.

For that matter, is it not SCMAS that made this forum so popular in the first place?

How sad

TangTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2004, 02:51 PM   #10
argi
Everybody Talks

Where is the confusion? I am not sure where you got the quote from, but I do not see any type of confusion from the person. They asked a simple question, what club are you guys in? I personally am in SCMAS, not MASLAC or SDMAS because I live in Orange County and live closer to the SCMAS meetings than the MASLAC meetings.

If you feel this was a mistake please come to one of the steering committee meetings and let us know why you feel this way. We had let everyone know about the past meeting (these meeting are open to every SCMAS member), but only two people showed up at the last meeting (two extra people I should say besides the normal officers of the club). We had always let everyone one know at the SCMAS meeting about the steering committee meetings, but the past meeting was posted more to try to get more people involved.

I have seen no negative effects from simply calling this forum Southern California Reefers and having a list of the three local clubs sticky at the top of the forum. This way depending on where you live you can choose which club is more local for you.

And like you said in your post:

For that matter, is it not SCMAS that made this forum so popular in the first place?

Then why should it be named SCMAS when MASLAC, SDMAS and other join in on the discussion? Why not give it a name that suits the users better?

Keith

"Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience." Denis Waitley
argi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2004, 05:40 PM   #11
TangTied
Moved On

I (and I'm sure many others) were under the assumption that ReefCentral made the decision to drop our name. It was briefly discussed at last night's meeting about it actually being a SCMAS decision...kinda odd I think, but not my place to question.
Many "unfriendly" things have been occuring at RC over the past year or so, thus, this just seemed like the usual incident. Admittedly, this is by-far the most popular website for hobbiests...I just wish it was managed better.
again, not my place to question, so......

TangTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2004, 05:55 PM   #12
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally posted by TangTied
I (and I'm sure many others) were under the assumption that ReefCentral made the decision to drop our name. It was briefly discussed at last night's meeting about it actually being a SCMAS decision...kinda odd I think, but not my place to question.
Many "unfriendly" things have been occuring at RC over the past year or so, thus, this just seemed like the usual incident. Admittedly, this is by-far the most popular website for hobbiests...I just wish it was managed better.
again, not my place to question, so......
I wish I had a clue what you were referring to. "Unfriendly things?" The name-change came about as a direct result of commercial free-for-all in this forum, and a request that the club take a more active role in "their" forum. When it became clear that the club did not wish to be associated with the forum, the name was changed. I fail to see how that is "unfriendly." However, I could show you some emails from a banned member threatening Staff members and the site...now that I consider unfriendly.

As far as "I just wish it was managed better," please feel free to make constructive suggestions. I personally am all ears for suggestions on how to keep RC from falling into disuse due to its poor management. However, previously banned individuals with their own agenda probably shouldn't make themselves evident.

Kevin

Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2004, 09:11 PM   #13
Entropy
Texas Reefer

Thanks for the Add, Kevin. Our new club appreciates all the help we can get!

150G cube FOWLR, 30g sump, ReefKeeperII, 3x Koralia 1400's, QuiteOne 3000, Reef Octopus DNWB150, 4x 30w Par38 LED.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x27 150g
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2004, 06:09 PM   #14
wobble123
Registered Member

Are there any clubs in the Ontario, Riverside Area? I live in montclair and it is a rotten drive into the LA area from here most of the time.

wobble123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2004, 12:27 AM   #15
tangsta
Moved On

wobble123,
The 57 frwy South (1/2 hour drive) will take you right into SantaAna where SCMAS meets the third friday of each month (7-10pm):
the IHOP restaurant at 1001 E. 17th. St., one block east of the 5 Freeway. Meeting is in the dining room at the far rear of the restaraunt.
Come check us out at least once, then decide if the drive is not worth it...I don't think you will be disappointed. Everyone is very friendly and layed back. You don't have to join to sit for the meetings if you don't care to. Up to you. (awesome raffles too!)
Good luck

tangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2004, 05:00 PM   #16
wobble123
Registered Member

Thanks for the invite. I will try to make it to the next meeting to check it out.

wobble123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2004, 12:49 AM   #17
ejocam
CORAL WHOLESALER

Quote:
Originally posted by wobble123
Are there any clubs in the Ontario, Riverside Area? I live in montclair and it is a rotten drive into the LA area from here most of the time.
I am in Montclair/Upland

ejocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2004, 11:38 PM   #18
jaypainter24
Moved On

Eric we are starting a IE reefers club for all of us out here in the IE. our first meeting is 11-18-04 @ the Denny's off of 6th and the 91fwy in corona @ 7p.m. let me know if you can make it

Jason

jaypainter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2004, 02:05 AM   #19
KT & SJ
Registered Member

jaypainter24, missed the first meeting, when's the next? I live up in Hesperia and since Eric just had to ditch us and move to Chino there's no one close any moore to pick up macro. I've been looking in to the other so cal groups and the drive would be horrendous.

Current Tank Info: 100 Gal FOWLR, 125 gal corner reef tank w/ 30 gal sump and 110 gal fuge, 10 gal guppy tank in the kids' room, and tons of QT's. Coming soon, 180 gal F/O. Now lets see, there's got to be a way to fit a 500 gal in here somewhere.
KT & SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2005, 04:55 PM   #20
radecatur
Registered Member

Is there anything around the El Segundo, Westchester, Marina Del Rey area?

Trigger 36, Cone S Q2, Bio-Pellets, Apex 2016, AWC, 3-part dosing, Gyre 3K, ATI 6X54, Jebao PP8's
Birds nest, Duncan, Alveopora, Stylophora, Hydnophora, acropora, GSP, Hammer, montipora

Current Tank Info: 75G Mixed
radecatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2005, 07:22 PM   #21
Konadog

Quote:
Originally posted by radecatur
Is there anything around the El Segundo, Westchester, Marina Del Rey area?
MASLAC move to Encino (just over the hill) check the link at the top of this thread to get directions. It's probably 30 min from LAX now.

-Ken

Unread 05/18/2005, 11:40 AM   #22
aesthetic
Registered Member

shoot i live in huntington/costa mesa... SCMAS holds their meetings right up there in santa ana? is that ihop right across from the del taco by chance?

aesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2005, 11:41 AM   #23
aesthetic
Registered Member

whoa i just realized how old this thread is.. nevermind lol =\

aesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2005, 12:32 PM   #24
Konadog

Old thread but the clubs are still around and links should still work.

-Ken

Unread 02/10/2006, 12:12 AM   #25
zimmy1979
Premium Member

Hmm..trying to figure out the best club would be for me. I live in Claremont and work in Pasadena..Hmmm!.

zimmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote