Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2009, 12:16 PM   #1
hpglow
Registered Member

?s regaruding drilling a full display tank.

I have a 125G that has been set up for 2 years now. I have a HOB overflow that is a massive PITA. I have been debating drilling this thing for months now but I am afraid the pressure from the water would cause a crack or breakage. I haven't done it because I don't want to risk any livestock. This is my softie tank so most of the more hardy species reside in there.

Anyway I would like to hear from someone who has drilled a semi-full display before I try this.

hpglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2009, 12:49 PM   #2
dantimdad
Registered Member

Why risk it? Get some rubbermaid trashcans, drain it almost empty. Drill it and then fill it back up. The softies can handle being out of the water for a little while as long as you keep them wet.

dantimdad

Current Tank Info: 50 reef (dry docked after vandalism...long story), 46 reef and getting ready to setup 300+ shark tank
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2009, 12:52 PM   #3
superedge88
Registered Member

Re: ?s regaruding drilling a full display tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by hpglow
I have a 125G that has been set up for 2 years now. I have a HOB overflow that is a massive PITA. I have been debating drilling this thing for months now but I am afraid the pressure from the water would cause a crack or breakage. I haven't done it because I don't want to risk any livestock. This is my softie tank so most of the more hardy species reside in there.

Anyway I would like to hear from someone who has drilled a semi-full display before I try this.
I drilled a 180 gallon that was about 90% full. If you have the option I would take about 50% of the water out then drill it. The thicker glass can take quite a bit of beating in order to get it to crack so the risk is much less than if you were drilling a full 40 gallon tank for example.

Current Tank Info: In charge of over 50,000 gallons of fish only tanks
superedge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2009, 01:10 PM   #4
troylee
Moved On

is it glass or acrylic????i drilled my 220 acrylic while it was full.....fwiw lol....just stuck a net on the iside to catch all the shavings.....

troylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2009, 02:09 PM   #5
hpglow
Registered Member

It is 3/8" glass.

hpglow is offline   Reply With Quote