Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2014, 03:35 PM   #26
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I'm sitting at 3 deployments and a few TDYs in 3 years and my wife has done a great job with each one. The worst that's happened is a big cyano problem from last year's deployment. I should have changed the DI resin and never thought of it while gone, so I blame that one squarely on me. Nothing died and the slime cleared up in a few months after my return.

She added a few corals and a sponge to the tank this time around and the tank looks better than when I left. When I get home she washes her hands with it and I get the fun of scraping the skimmer cup, haha.

Moves can be a bit of a pain. I've moved my setup (smaller tanks then) 3x and, while it was work, all worked out.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2014, 07:13 AM   #27
Mistersponge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk17 View Post
unfortunately I just came home from a deployment and had a freshwater tank (30) gallon and had a friend watch it. He informed me he knew what he was doing and how to take care of it. I showed him everything he needed just in case he didnt know something. I really wanted to be safe about it. Well hadnt heard from him the entire time while i was deployed. When I got back all my fish were dead and the house smelled something terrible. The water was green and stagnant not only that but the fish were still dead in the tank rotting. Lost a good friend to that and some good fish. I know better next time to not do that and pull better resources for someone to watch it.
That really sucks, sorry to hear about this. Any future plans for a tank?

Mistersponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2014, 03:37 PM   #28
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Mine has made it through a deployment fine my wife did a very good job. Luckily(if you wanna call it luck) I'm coded to minot afb nd so I'll probably never have to move my tank.

Toby_Kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 11:19 PM   #29
mlprce
Registered Member

I have a biocube 29 which I got set up a few months before I mobilized. Let's just say it wasn't a good year for the cube lol. Lost all coral(ZOA's,gsp,Xenia's) and one of two clown fish.

mlprce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2014, 10:53 PM   #30
Fogvalley
Registered Member

Ha I traded a buddy my Xbox for his 125 some years back. Moved the tank and water whole setup. Got the call within 2-3 months, moved the tank back to his place for deployment, he bought a 60 square, and jacked my water and didn't move all the fish, killed a 8 yr naso. he came with the tank so I think he felt worse then me. Lol got home moved it back alone except for the glass and stand. Remember this a 125 no fun to move, retired and it was in storage for almost five years and just bought another house and set it back up! Again I plan to get a new stand and hood built some day, so I will be draining it again one more time but I had to set it up!

Fogvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 07:33 AM   #31
philr21
Registered Member

My 125g fish only was fine during my Afghan tour, but during my year in Diego Garcia the drain side of the sump overflowed due to clogged filter. After a few times of overflowing the filter onto the floor, she ended up emptying the tank where it has sat since. Just getting ready to try and reset it back up.

philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2015, 10:48 AM   #32
dabob79
Registered Member

My ex never would take care of my tanks for me, so every time I deployed I had to tear down and sell or put it in storage :/ Now that I'm out I can't wait to put together my new tank and leave it up for more than a year! lol

dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 09:58 AM   #33
madcanary
Registered Member

wife did her best, unfortunately lack of knowledge on both parts, feeding with pump on etc ATO taking a crap and skimmer not keeping constant, lost a few fish nitrates and phosphates through the roof, everyone is happy and moved to LPS corals...now apex in my future..

madcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 12:34 PM   #34
nmotz
Registered Member

Set up the tank with sand/dry rock before I left. Talked my wife through everything else. Making the RO/DI water was the most "exciting." I forgot to tell her to close the valve on the cold water line leading to the washing machine before she loosened the screw. Water went spraying everywhere. Hahah it was great because we were on FaceTime through the whole thing. She managed to close the valve and did a great job making RO/DI water.

She did it all though....put the powerheads on, dosed pure ammonia to start the cycle, added BioSpira. She's even done pretty well keeping up with top off water (i have a glass lid so that helps) When I get back it'll be there waiting for me, all cycled and ready to go. I can't wait!

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 06:52 PM   #35
hotelbravo
Registered Member

I am worried about when I deploy. My wife says she wants to go back home while im deployed. That leaves the tank by itself in an empty house... I cant seem to convince her to stay and look after it. I am considering letting an airman from my work who lives in the dorms look after my tank and it would give them time away from the dorms but that brings up a whole bunch of other problems. I might only have one option.. tear down..

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 40b sump. 3x OR T247 lighting, Reef Octopus protein skimmer, phosban 550 reactor, tunze ato, gyre xf 150, 2x mag 9.5 returns.
hotelbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2015, 12:35 AM   #36
nmotz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelbravo View Post
I am worried about when I deploy. My wife says she wants to go back home while im deployed. That leaves the tank by itself in an empty house... I cant seem to convince her to stay and look after it. I am considering letting an airman from my work who lives in the dorms look after my tank and it would give them time away from the dorms but that brings up a whole bunch of other problems. I might only have one option.. tear down..
Yeah that sucks man. I'm trying to avoid a larger tank until I'm out of the military for this very reason. If I have a small tank, I feel confident that most of the daily stuff can be taken care of through automated equipment (ATO, lights on a timer, etc). Water changes are small and fairly straightforward so it's less risk for a spouse. I know my wife gets herself all stressed out by doing too many things while I'm away so adding in tank-keeping responsibilities is a tough ask. I was lucky my wife agreed to it this time, but then again I'm on my first deployment.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2015, 09:12 AM   #37
danrobberg
Registered Member

I had to tarey tank down and set it up at my brothers apartment. The whole time I was deployed he said the tank was doing great. Then I return home and go to his apartment to find two inches of water in the dam thing. He let everything die. I was pretty ****ed off about that.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 03:29 AM   #38
Harleyguy
Premium Member

I've been delayed a couple of times and in each instance I had to tear dow my system. After the last deployment I never set it up again. I will set up again some day after I get out. It is too costly and sad to have to get ride of all my corals and fish.

Current Tank Info: 740 in the works, 244g collecting dust
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2015, 03:20 PM   #39
Navymedic
Registered Member

My last deployment (14 months) I came back to most of Corals covered in algae, LMAO. after some good cleaning, water changes, and aggressive skimming and phosphate removal, i saved a bunch of my stuff. fast forward 2 years and I have a very established tank and better trained helper

Navymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2015, 10:07 PM   #40
littlec984
Registered Member

My wife took real good care of my 200 gallon during my last deployment. Taking care of it made her fall in love. Now she is just as much into the hobby as I am.

littlec984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2016, 08:42 PM   #41
daquan44
Registered Member

I just came off of a deployment myself. The Apex and my wife kept the tank in good order until I returned. I tried to automate as much as I could before I left. ATO, AWC, dosing pumps, Auto fish feeders. I used aqua medics water testing since my wife doesn't know how to use the hanna checkers, or Red sea test kits. All she had to do was fill two bottles put them in the addressed return box, and put the box in the mail. I received an email on the ship with the results, and surprisingly the parameters were great mid way through the deployment. When I returned home, I was surprised to see how much the corals grew. The only thing I had to contend with was a cyano problem. I have another 6 to 9 month deployment coming up. I just invested in a calcium reactor to help better automate dosing alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

daquan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 03:51 PM   #42
Itz_Koolio
Registered Member

Thank you guys and gals for your service!

Unread 10/27/2016, 08:21 PM   #43
CaseysAquariums
Registered Member

Honestly when I left home for the first time I left my 2 30 gallons in the watchful eyes of my father. All my fish died.

CaseysAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote