Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2017, 02:18 PM   #1
blowmecius
Registered Member

Osmolator pump

Hi Roger - Problem with my osmolator. The pump runs for approximately one minute then slows to a stop. If I unplug it for a couple minutes, it fires up again for about a minute then slows to a stop. The control unit is well over 10 years old. I replaced the power supply with a generic one years ago and I have replaced the pump a few times. Is it time for a new pump?

Thanks,
Paul

Unread 09/06/2017, 02:28 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

This is a somewhat complicated problem so the answer is not very simple.

An Osmolator made before 2009 used an 800mA PTC as a sort of circuit breaker for the pump, since 2009 it is 1200mA as in late 2008 we requested the pump manufacturer customize the Osmolator pump with a double o ring seal to increase the durability, the added drag needs more mA of power to run the pump. What you are seeing is more than 800mA is required and as a result the PTC is breaking contact. The key to solving this is to get the draw below 800mA, this means clean wiring, no corrosion, a 9V power supply, the original was switchable 9-12V and 9V will reduce the mA consumption, of course the pump also runs slower and a good working pump, the higher the head pressure the less mA draw as well. If all these are in order it should work, long term if ignored a transistor will overheat and damage the controller irreparably. If it was me, I would strongly consider just replacing it when the big black friday sales roll around as with the age, more issues are probable in time.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 03:01 PM   #3
blowmecius
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I certainly got my moneys worth with this one and will take your advice for for a new one.