Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2017, 05:31 PM   #26
lapin
Registered Member

Built a jig to hold the bigger panels for assembly. These 90 degree clamps are a great pair of extra hands. Takes a lot of worry out of getting panels at the perfect angle. Also holds up the panels to form that 1mm gap needed for #40. This is a bubble I got in my first seam for the sump . I lifted the syringe mid seam then touched it back down in the wet #40. Did not try to remove it since its an internal baffle and wont show. Live and learn. Practice, practice and practice some more. Here is the first side being welded to the back of the sump. By lifting one end of the panels the #40 runs into the seam a lot better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_Glue_up_jig.jpg (35.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 2_Clamps.jpg (100.1 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 3_Seam_bubble.jpg (22.0 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 5_Sump_glue_side.jpg (36.2 KB, 256 views)
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 07:33 PM   #27
lapin
Registered Member

Working on the divider panels for the sump. Here they are being welding to the back panel. Since i had extra #40 mixed I decided to use it and made a mini tank. I can use it as a coral viewer or a dipping box.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7_Sump_D_panels.jpg (102.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 6_Mini_tank.jpg (91.4 KB, 312 views)
Unread 12/25/2017, 04:20 PM   #28
Jamesmost
Registered Member

Big

Jamesmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 06:09 PM   #29
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very inspiring! Great job posting pics showing your progress. Jealous!

It looks like there is no walk-through between the tank and your reactors. How will you access them?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 05:16 PM   #30
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
It looks like there is no walk-through between the tank and your reactors. How will you access them?
Thanks. There is about 3ft from the wall that the reactors are on to the edge of the tank. I will build some stairs to climb up onto the platform. This way I should be able to reach into the tank and service the reactors. I will have a board to cover that gap you see, so I don't break a leg.

Unread 12/27/2017, 08:29 AM   #31
lapin
Registered Member

Sump is almost done. Will add the top after the tank is done. I wanna be sure all the holes in the top are in the right place for the over flows and stuff. Water will flow into the chamber on the back right side, then over into the socks. Then out the bottom into the middle chamber. I left a 2" gap at the top in case the socks get plugged, for the water to flow over into the next chamber. The middle will be full of rock and some of those marine pure blocks. The water will be pumped out to the skimmer and returned to the middle chamber. Then over and thru the spaghetti mat. Then back to the tank. Simple design, no frills.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8_Sump-fini.jpg (98.6 KB, 248 views)
Unread 12/28/2017, 09:10 AM   #32
lapin
Registered Member

Got the sump fitted. Had to shim a bit. The floor is sloped towards the drain. Plumbed the pumps and attached the ATO. Put an extra pump in the last chamber for water changes. Will used a peristaltic pump later for this but for now I will do it myself. The picture shows 2 flex tubes going into the middle chamber. The small one is from the salt mixing barrel for water changes. The large one is extra flow from the pump supplying water to the skimmer. I can open that more or less depending how much flow I want in that middle chamber and to the skimmer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9_Sump_pumps.jpg (99.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 10_Sump_socks.jpg (95.7 KB, 235 views)
Unread 12/29/2017, 03:26 PM   #33
lapin
Registered Member

Picked up the Marco Rock today. The stuff looks great. Not as lite as Pukani, but close. Great price too. Big pieces will make for fun aquascaping. Now to get with the cookin.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3A_Marco1.jpg (52.4 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 3A_Marco2.jpg (100.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 3A_Marco3.jpg (30.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 3A_Marco4.jpg (101.6 KB, 169 views)
Unread 01/03/2018, 09:21 AM   #34
lapin
Registered Member

Here is the tank acrylic. This will be fun. Big and heavy. My back is glad its not glass. I had to drill some holes in the coast to coast overflow for the bean animal. There is about a 5mm warp in one of the panels over a 5ft span. Hope this does not create a problem down the road.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30_Tank_acrylic.jpg (99.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 32_Overflow_holes.jpg (38.7 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 31_Warp.jpg (94.7 KB, 238 views)
Unread 01/03/2018, 11:02 AM   #35
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Exceptional build - particularly all of the DIY acrylic work...very impressive...

If I may ask, where did you source your spaghetti mat? I have been looking to replace mine in my sump and can't seem to locate any that is long enough to span the total distance with a single piece...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 12:14 PM   #36
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltzNSalt View Post
Exceptional build - particularly all of the DIY acrylic work...very impressive...

If I may ask, where did you source your spaghetti mat? I have been looking to replace mine in my sump and can't seem to locate any that is long enough to span the total distance with a single piece...
Thanks

The mat does not span the full 30". It is only 24" long. I had to cut a small 6" piece to make it span the full length. It is supported underneath by egg crate. I will look for a longer piece if this works.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamesh-blue-3.html

Unread 01/03/2018, 07:25 PM   #37
lapin
Registered Member

Been freezing here. Cold when wet. I need some feedback ideas for rock work. I took it out of the barrels to pressure wash and decided to stack a few pieces up. Sort of how I want it to look. Here are 3 views. The tall section is going near the back corner. 3 power heads will move water thru openings in the rock work. Any suggestions before I start over ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rock1.jpg (51.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Rock2.jpg (49.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Rock3.jpg (93.4 KB, 123 views)
Unread 01/03/2018, 10:53 PM   #38
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Check out "McPuff's new 300" on this forum. It's the best rock work I've seen. Post #82 has a vid of it.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 08:06 AM   #39
ClownNut
Registered Member

i hope you plan on bracing the sump.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 03:15 PM   #40
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
i hope you plan on bracing the sump.
Yes I will put the top on the sump when I have the tank dry fit in place. I want to be sure all holes are in the correct place before routing the top. FYI I will have a dogfish to guard my clowns.

Unread 01/04/2018, 03:23 PM   #41
lapin
Registered Member

3 Pictures of work in progress. The coast to coast to over flow box being welded together. Don't do this in the kitchen, as it will smell like glue and make people not happy.
The first tank seam (2sides) are being welded. Here is the make shift jig I made to hold in in place at 90 degrees. Along with those 90 degree clamps made it easy to keep in place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33_Overflow_box.jpg (97.4 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 34_Tank_seam.jpg (95.2 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 35_Tank_seam2.jpg (102.0 KB, 245 views)
Unread 01/06/2018, 05:49 PM   #42
lapin
Registered Member

I have 4 panels welded. It is now way to heavy for me to do anything myself. Time for BBQ and beer for my neighbors. Next step is to weld the bottom to the sides.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36_Tank_seam_back.jpg (100.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 29_Glue_up_table.jpg (101.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 37_Tank_roll.jpg (33.5 KB, 186 views)
Unread 01/07/2018, 03:59 PM   #43
lapin
Registered Member

Finally the 4 sides are flipped over and onto the bottom for welding. Both me and my buddy are beat. It is very heavy and to maintain a gap for solvent I used strips of teflon cut from a sheet. They are 2mm thick and compressed down to about 1mm with all that weight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37_Tank_on_bottom.jpg (100.7 KB, 167 views)
Unread 01/08/2018, 08:55 AM   #44
McPuff
Registered Member

How are the seams looking so far? Were you able to get them nice and clean? I find that very difficult personally.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 01:11 PM   #45
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
How are the seams looking so far? Were you able to get them nice and clean? I find that very difficult personally.
I tried to do a few practice seams with sci-grip #4 and pins. 1" stuff is so thick its hard to work with. They all had bubbles. So I am using sci-grip#40. Its like gear oil. I saw the builders on that show "Tanks" pouring some thick stuff when making a very thick tank seam. Maybe this is what they used or something similar. You need to have a 1mm gap for the stuff to flow into. it takes 15 min to set. Not like #4 which takes a a few seconds. And you dont use pins. I used some small chips of the stuff to keep the gap across the 5 ft span. They are almost invisible when done. I took a look at the one seam that's going to show (outside corner). No bubbles. Yaaaaaaa. Very Happy. Was almost afraid to look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41_Seam_outside_corner.jpg (25.0 KB, 233 views)
Unread 01/08/2018, 01:18 PM   #46
lapin
Registered Member

One more thing. I way overfilled the seams to allow for shrinkage when drying. It causes the inside to have what looks like a silicone bead that was smoothed with your finger, like on a glass tank. The difference is that it is clear. With water in the tank i dont think it will be that big a deal. May even be invisible.

Unread 01/08/2018, 02:44 PM   #47
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

This looks awesome. Also, the Jackalope in your workspace is awesome.

I would love to try a build like this, making a custom tank looks like a fun (but stressful) project.

It appears that you have two calcium reactors, or is one just the second chamber?

Are you going all kessil on this tank or other lights as well? Do you have a vent or something in that room to prevent from having one very humid fish-room?

Keep up the great work, that tank seam you showed looks perfect!

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 04:33 PM   #48
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
This looks awesome. Also, the Jackalope in your workspace is awesome. Thanks

I would love to try a build like this, making a custom tank looks like a fun (but stressful) project. Good Fun ....Teaches me patience

It appears that you have two calcium reactors, or is one just the second chamber? It is for a possible sulfur denitrator down the road

Are you going all kessil on this tank or other lights as well? Do you have a vent or something in that room to prevent from having one very humid fish-room?

Keep up the great work, that tank seam you showed looks perfect! Thanks[/I]
Right now I have 4 Kessel 360W. I might make a couple of cannons myself to add more of a spot light on the bottom for clams.
The room has a fan/vent in the 10 foot tall ceiling, vented thru the roof. If this is not enough I can add a second one

Unread 01/09/2018, 07:34 AM   #49
McPuff
Registered Member

That seam looks terrific. Well done! Eager to see how this turns out. I'm pretty impressed with the tools you have... but that's what you need to do something like this the right way!

Making your own LED canons? Wow! Please create a thread for that too.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 09:59 AM   #50
lapin
Registered Member

Whooo Hoooo . Time to climb in the tank and finish the bottom seams. I placed wood on the outside to keep it from sliding off the platform. I jacked it up on 1 end at a time to get the solvent to flow into the joint. Its slippery inside on that paper protective covering. Had to do this barefoot. Car jack and some jack stands worked pretty good. Too bad i didn't have a floor jack. The last picture shows part of the cutouts for the coast to coast overflow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38_Bottom_seam.jpg (100.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 39_Bottom_seam2.jpg (95.3 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 40_Bottom_seam3.jpg (100.6 KB, 230 views)