Reef Central Online Community
Aquarium

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/06/2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Reefer40b
Registered Member

T5 supplementing a V2

Just wondering if anyone is using T5's along with their V2's?

What type of T5 would be best to use? Blue plus? Coral Plus?

How much intensity should I drop on the LED's if I do add the T5's? Maybe not use all the LED spectrum? what are your thoughts?

Right now Im running the 32 V2 and thinking about adding 2 24in T5s to supplement my 40b.

Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2017, 01:17 PM   #2
fraggin corals
Registered Member

Thinking about adding some T5s to my 32 as well. My concern is how to cool the T5 to get the max out of them and how to mount when I don't have a canopy. I have a PAR meter so will use that to make sure not over lighting the corals.

fraggin corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2017, 04:26 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I'm following as well. I have the V2 50" and would like to add a t5 in front and behind the fixture. But like fraggin coral, I don't have a canopy and the new addition would have to look good or I wouldn't do it. I also have a PAR meter and would offer help with PAR to anybody who helps out here.

Old 01/10/2017, 07:35 AM   #4
fraggin corals
Registered Member

I a looking at adding lamps just as Ron, but looking at two T5s on each side of the V2. If I can figure out what to use, I will be using a combo of two Blue+ and two Coral+ as they are supposed to be the best stand alone lamps. I have found one option at BRS but not sure of how it will look without a canopy.

Here is link to what I am considering: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hamilt...-retrofit.html What do you think?

Old 01/11/2017, 04:27 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

fraggin corals, I wouldn't be willing to add those to my V2 without a canopy. I like the slim clean look of the V2 and want to keep it. I also feel the V2 provides all the light needed for my sps tank, so a single t5 on either side will be more than enough. But I want the t5 to have a slim design, maybe with a remote ballast so it can be just the bulb, reflector and ends.

Old 01/11/2017, 05:37 AM   #6
SPotter
Registered Member

What about this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUD3Y..._1484134631053

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2017, 02:39 PM   #7
fraggin corals
Registered Member

While there are options to retros, my main concern is that without fans to cool the bulbs we're not going to get the most PAR or life out of them. While I agree that the V2 has more then enough power, I want to make sure that all parts of the coral colonies get light. I was looking at buying an old Odyssea fixture a neighbor is selling to gut it and just use the housing for the V2, T5s, and some fans.

Old 01/12/2017, 04:05 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

As much as I try and do everything I can for the health of my tank and it inhabitants, I don't think I'd be willing to give up the super clean and slimline look of the V2 fixture alone. For 65 years I had just EverGrow IT2080 fixtures (virtually the same as the old Photon) and my corals did just fine. The fitures were in a big canopy and the switch to the V2 and the super good look is just not something I'd mess with right now.

fraggin corals, your plan probably makes the most sense for a practical solution and still a good 'finished' look. You should do a thread in the DIY or the build thread sections here at RC. You might get me looking for an old t5 fixture!

Old 01/19/2017, 07:22 PM   #9
surferarnie
Registered Member

I had to add 2 giessman razor 2 x54 to my photon 16. The photons would not grow or sustain anything but mushrooms. I even bought a par meter to check and make sure it was not the lights.it was. Since adding the t5 my monti has gotten its color back. It had been grey for a long while. Polyps are getting bigger and it actually is showing new growth.

The first led boards on the photons melted the blue leds, and just about everything in my tank died. They were replaced by reef breaders, but i could never get anything to survive after.hundreds of dolors of dead frags.
My kessil a360 are shipping in tomorow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surferarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2017, 06:42 AM   #10
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferarnie View Post
I had to add 2 giessman razor 2 x54 to my photon 16. The photons would not grow or sustain anything but mushrooms. I even bought a par meter to check and make sure it was not the lights.it was. Since adding the t5 my monti has gotten its color back. It had been grey for a long while. Polyps are getting bigger and it actually is showing new growth.

The first led boards on the photons melted the blue leds, and just about everything in my tank died. They were replaced by reef breaders, but i could never get anything to survive after.hundreds of dolors of dead frags.
This thread is for a V2 not the old regular photon. The new V2 grows all corals great, sorry to hear about your bad experience with Photon. I was only bringing up T5 supplementation due to the shadowing that happens on all LED lights.

Old 01/22/2017, 08:39 PM   #11
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferarnie View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just curious since I noticed every other post you put up is very negative about our lights-

How exactly do you have the lights set up? What size tank, are you using the optics lenses, what percentage are you running your channels at? If you have brand new LED boards you should have no trouble getting plenty of light in your tank.

What kind of PAR meter did you use and what were your readings?

Reef Breeders LLC
Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2017, 10:34 PM   #12
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Well Haven't been able to update this as I have had a bunch of unplanned expenses come up so in the distant future when some more money rolls in I can test this out. until then I will keep enjoying my Led only setup.

Old 02/18/2017, 04:32 AM   #13
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Reefer40b, I'm at the opposite end of that spectrum, I'm just putting the finishing touches (paint) on a couple of big home remodeling projects and now have time to consider the t5 project. Oh, and I'm kind of stuck at home since my wife still works (so she uses her car) and my hot rod Miata is getting an bigger engine transplant and won't be done for 6 weeks!

I think I'm going to order 2 of the 48" Sunblaster nanotech t5 fixtures. Even if I don't like them with my V2 fixture, I'd still be able to use them with my old 32" fixture over my shallow reef tank that's a work tank (not meant to be pretty) and in a back bedroom (or as we call it, the reef room).

Old 02/18/2017, 01:59 PM   #14
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Reefer40b, I'm at the opposite end of that spectrum, I'm just putting the finishing touches (paint) on a couple of big home remodeling projects and now have time to consider the t5 project. Oh, and I'm kind of stuck at home since my wife still works (so she uses her car) and my hot rod Miata is getting an bigger engine transplant and won't be done for 6 weeks!

I think I'm going to order 2 of the 48" Sunblaster nanotech t5 fixtures. Even if I don't like them with my V2 fixture, I'd still be able to use them with my old 32" fixture over my shallow reef tank that's a work tank (not meant to be pretty) and in a back bedroom (or as we call it, the reef room).

Ron I tried out your settings on my v2 and then tested par. My lights are 14" above the water and at 12" below the water I was still getting 425 par. So with that in mind....what t5 bulbs are you going to try and will you alter your light settings?

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Old 02/19/2017, 04:52 AM   #15
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Ron I tried out your settings on my v2 and then tested par. My lights are 14" above the water and at 12" below the water I was still getting 425 par. So with that in mind....what t5 bulbs are you going to try and will you alter your light settings?
Hey Steve, I'm not doing t5's for 'more' light but to make the tank look different. I will certainly have to dial back my led settings some while the t5's are on (assuming I use them... they'll need to look good).

I haven't picked specific t5 bulbs yet as I don't know for sure which led fixture or which tank they will get added to. My basic plan is to do a blue or deep blue behind the led fixture in hopes that it will help make the tank look a bit deeper (as in front to back, not top to bottom) and something in a cool white in front of the led fixture to help reduce shadows under rock and coral ledges and shelves.

I have a long day today doing a local club coral auction, but over the next few days I'd like to compare readings with our PAR meters if you don't mind? We could move this to a PM conversation if you want... or if Logan would prefer?

Mine is a quite old (about 6 or 7 years, purchased in a Reef Central group buy) Apogee QMSS-E and I'd like to compare it to yours given we have the same Photon V2 fixture to read from. Mine was known to be weak reading in the 400nm to 460nm range. Which PAR meter are you using and what are your feelings about it's abilities?

Thanks

Old 02/19/2017, 06:07 AM   #16
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Thats good to hear Ron, as always pictures are always good, looking forward to see what ya come with!

Old 02/20/2017, 12:57 PM   #17
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Steve, I'm not doing t5's for 'more' light but to make the tank look different. I will certainly have to dial back my led settings some while the t5's are on (assuming I use them... they'll need to look good).

I haven't picked specific t5 bulbs yet as I don't know for sure which led fixture or which tank they will get added to. My basic plan is to do a blue or deep blue behind the led fixture in hopes that it will help make the tank look a bit deeper (as in front to back, not top to bottom) and something in a cool white in front of the led fixture to help reduce shadows under rock and coral ledges and shelves.

I have a long day today doing a local club coral auction, but over the next few days I'd like to compare readings with our PAR meters if you don't mind? We could move this to a PM conversation if you want... or if Logan would prefer?

Mine is a quite old (about 6 or 7 years, purchased in a Reef Central group buy) Apogee QMSS-E and I'd like to compare it to yours given we have the same Photon V2 fixture to read from. Mine was known to be weak reading in the 400nm to 460nm range. Which PAR meter are you using and what are your feelings about it's abilities?

Thanks

I'm using the BTM3000 USB par meter. I've never compared it to any other meters so not sure about accuracy. I would love to try out the new full spectrum par meter but don't want to drop that kind of money on it. I would definitely share my par readings with you.

Old 04/16/2017, 02:05 AM   #18
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Any updates Ron?

@Ron Reefman

Old 04/16/2017, 06:36 AM   #19
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Hi Reefer40b. Very few updates. I still haven't bought any t5 fixtures... yet! And more recently I've been looking at (considering) a couple of led strip fixtures about 16" to 24" long that I could add to the back side of my Photon out toward either end. Then I could move the V2 forward some over the tank and use the led strip at a bit of an angle toward the back of the tank to fill in more light.

I have several plating corals growing off the back glass which are or than halfway up the back glass and in a tank that is only 20" deep I don't get the full light spread from the V2 front to back that a 24" deep tank would. And I have a center overflow, so 2 smaller led strips would cover the back glass on either side of the overflow.

Lucky for me, it's not like I'm in any big need. So I can take my time looking around.

Have you seen Jason's thread about using 4 V2 32" fixtures and a couple of t5's over his 180g tank? It got me thinking maybe I could just put a second 50" V2 behind the one I have. I'd pull one to the front of the tank and put the 2nd just a bit more than halfway back over the tank. Then tip the front one so it's shining back into the tank from the front. I'd try to get it so the front leading edge of light would be just where the sand meets the front glass. That would really help with cutting back shadows under ledges and bigger coral colonies. And I'd run the back fixture more blue to try and add the look of more depth front to back by being blue. But for me, spending almost $700 on a 2nd fixture would only be an option if the V2 could be given ID numbers and run separately like the remote is prepared for but the fixture isn't.

I've also considered adding led pendants behind the V2. That would work and they would run separate from the V2. But I think 2 pedants hanging over the tank behind the V2 would look 'cluttered' and I really like the slim, clean, modern look of the V2 alone.

Old 04/18/2017, 11:45 AM   #20
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Reefer40b. Very few updates. I still haven't bought any t5 fixtures... yet! And more recently I've been looking at (considering) a couple of led strip fixtures about 16" to 24" long that I could add to the back side of my Photon out toward either end. Then I could move the V2 forward some over the tank and use the led strip at a bit of an angle toward the back of the tank to fill in more light.

I have several plating corals growing off the back glass which are or than halfway up the back glass and in a tank that is only 20" deep I don't get the full light spread from the V2 front to back that a 24" deep tank would. And I have a center overflow, so 2 smaller led strips would cover the back glass on either side of the overflow.

Lucky for me, it's not like I'm in any big need. So I can take my time looking around.

Have you seen Jason's thread about using 4 V2 32" fixtures and a couple of t5's over his 180g tank? It got me thinking maybe I could just put a second 50" V2 behind the one I have. I'd pull one to the front of the tank and put the 2nd just a bit more than halfway back over the tank. Then tip the front one so it's shining back into the tank from the front. I'd try to get it so the front leading edge of light would be just where the sand meets the front glass. That would really help with cutting back shadows under ledges and bigger coral colonies. And I'd run the back fixture more blue to try and add the look of more depth front to back by being blue. But for me, spending almost $700 on a 2nd fixture would only be an option if the V2 could be given ID numbers and run separately like the remote is prepared for but the fixture isn't.

I've also considered adding led pendants behind the V2. That would work and they would run separate from the V2. But I think 2 pedants hanging over the tank behind the V2 would look 'cluttered' and I really like the slim, clean, modern look of the V2 alone.

Believe it or not we have 24" LED strips in the works that will bolt right onto the T-track on either side of the light. Should be in by mid May.

Reef Breeders LLC
Old 04/18/2017, 06:30 PM   #21
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
Believe it or not we have 24" LED strips in the works that will bolt right onto the T-track on either side of the light. Should be in by mid May.
Really glad to hear that! I look forward to seeing them. Thanks Logan.

Old 04/21/2017, 01:04 AM   #22
Reefer40b
Registered Member

What Kind of LED's are going to be in these new strips? customizable? Do you have any more details on these? Something like a reefbrite strip?

Old 04/25/2017, 01:23 PM   #23
steallife904
Registered Member

thought I would add in that I have a t5 retro kit infront of my 50 V2. I only rn it for 2 hours a day from 12-2, I kinda worked it out where this is the starting point from my ramp up, so right now at 12 my V2 maxes out at around 32%, after 2 I jump it up to 40-48% until 6PM then it starts to power down.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2017, 06:47 PM   #24
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
What Kind of LED's are going to be in these new strips? customizable? Do you have any more details on these? Something like a reefbrite strip?
We might make them customizeable- it depends on how quickly the factory can build them. It's a new supplier so we need to work with them for a little bit before we do that.

Right now we are just doing all royal blue- our lights already have a ton of violets, and the extra blue gives you a ton of PAR and color pop.

Reef Breeders LLC
Old 06/20/2017, 12:22 PM   #25
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:

Hey Ron, did you ever do anything t5's on your tank?

Tags
led, shadowing, sps, t5 supplements