Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/20/2017, 08:59 AM   #1
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 982
Super inexpensive but amazing fuge bulb...

I picked one of these LED plant bulbs up last week:

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Light-Bu...nt+light&psc=1

The bulb is huge and sticks out of my clamp-on fixture, but the results are nothing short of astounding. I am in no way affiliated with this seller or product, but I just wanted to throw it out there that you can get a really high quality light for very little. This bulb plus a clamp-on work light leaves you at about $25 for a fuge light that will beat almost everything else on the market with the exception of the crazy expensive Kessil light. I have seen more growth in my chaeto in the last week than I did in the last 2 months with my standard 10w LED flood light bulb. Not an exaggeration...


ktownhero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 09:27 AM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 14,391
what's the difference between 'super' expensive and 'crazy' expensive? I actually have the Kessil (H380, or something like that). Got sick of cheap ebay/amazon bulbs failing on me after a few weeks.


__________________
Simon

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 265 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 09:44 AM   #3
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
what's the difference between 'super' expensive and 'crazy' expensive? I actually have the Kessil (H380, or something like that). Got sick of cheap ebay/amazon bulbs failing on me after a few weeks.
Superfluous words, it's the "expensive" and "inexpensive" part that matters

That Kessil is awesome. It's about the only thing better than one of these bulbs but at over 10x the cost. The test that BRS did recently was really eye opening. These plant bulbs and the kessil out performed regular bulbs by significant margins and in just one week I've already seen the evidence of that as well.


ktownhero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 11:15 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 14,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
That Kessil is awesome.
It is! Bought it used, and then promptly dropped it into the sump. Fortunately it was off at the time, is very well water proofed inside, and I was able to dry it off an still use it. Phew!!


__________________
Simon

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 265 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 12:52 PM   #5
hegeh
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
It is! Bought it used, and then promptly dropped it into the sump. Fortunately it was off at the time, is very well water proofed inside, and I was able to dry it off an still use it. Phew!!
Glad to know its waterproof, else i couldnt image how painful to see kessil rust away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 03:39 PM   #6
callsign4223
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
Posts: 233
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these. Works good, and survived being rained on when my tank bottom cracked. The clamp socket failed and the light is still going strong in a new socket.

I'd like to see the Kessil H80 vs one of these cheapo lights. I can justify a $100 to replace one of these a lot easier than a $300 light.


callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Dealseer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by hegeh View Post
Glad to know its waterproof, else i couldnt image how painful to see kessil rust away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It is not waterproof.


Dealseer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2017, 08:46 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 14,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealseer View Post
It is not waterproof.
Well, not in the sense that they are submersible certainly, but the insides are well coated with rubber to make them water resistant. Like I said, mine survived a complete submersion largely because it was off at the time.


__________________
Simon

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 265 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 07:15 AM   #9
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Well, not in the sense that they are submersible certainly, but the insides are well coated with rubber to make them water resistant. Like I said, mine survived a complete submersion largely because it was off at the time.
Any piece of electronics can survive submersion if it is off and you let it dry out before turning it back on


ktownhero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Jonviviano
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 346
+1 on this fuge light it works great for me!


Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 07:50 AM   #11
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one of these. Works good, and survived being rained on when my tank bottom cracked. The clamp socket failed and the light is still going strong in a new socket.

I'd like to see the Kessil H80 vs one of these cheapo lights. I can justify a $100 to replace one of these a lot easier than a $300 light.
Ask and ye shall receive: https://youtu.be/dr1q5BkvO_o?t=11m30s (about 9 seconds after that starts they show the full chart). Essentially the Amazon-style plant bulbs (of which there are dozens) out perform a regular daylight bulb by about 50%. The Kessil out performs the Amazon bulbs by almost 100% which is insane. Of course the Kessil is great, but the Amazon bulbs are incredible value. I'm referring to the mass of the growth of chaeto -- They all were capable of reducing nitrates and phosphates to 0.


ktownhero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 07:57 AM   #12
bif24701
Registered Member
 
bif24701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida, FWB
Posts: 3,062
I got this light and in less than 5 days my NO3 went from 20ppm to 4-8ppm and PO4 from .9 to .03! What what what!?!

Unbelievable.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
180 Mixed Reef
SRO-5000 Skimmer
Neptune APEX Gold
Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 08:21 AM   #13
callsign4223
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Ask and ye shall receive: https://youtu.be/dr1q5BkvO_o?t=11m30s (about 9 seconds after that starts they show the full chart). Essentially the Amazon-style plant bulbs (of which there are dozens) out perform a regular daylight bulb by about 50%. The Kessil out performs the Amazon bulbs by almost 100% which is insane. Of course the Kessil is great, but the Amazon bulbs are incredible value. I'm referring to the mass of the growth of chaeto -- They all were capable of reducing nitrates and phosphates to 0.
The problem with this is it's comparing the amazon type bulb to a kessil h380. Thats a $300 bulb. I want a comparison to the kessil h80. That is their $100 offering.


callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 08:32 AM   #14
jda
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,859
I thought that this was going to be another post for a 5,500 CFL screw in bulb in a clamp-on fixture. These last for years, cost a few bucks and years and fill the tank with macro.

I have always found that water changes to keep your iron up, or supplementing iron, was significantly more effective at growing macro than any light.


jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 09:26 AM   #15
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
I got this light and in less than 5 days my NO3 went from 20ppm to 4-8ppm and PO4 from .9 to .03! What what what!?!

Unbelievable.
After 3 days with it my NO3 went from ~14ppm to ~8ppm and my PO4 went from .64 to .26. I haven't checked again in the last week or so but based on how much growth I see I'd imagine they are near zero. I can get back to spoiling my corals


ktownhero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 09:27 AM   #16
ktownhero
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post
The problem with this is it's comparing the amazon type bulb to a kessil h380. Thats a $300 bulb. I want a comparison to the kessil h80. That is their $100 offering.
Gotcha, the model names are so confusing. I didn't know they had two different ones. All I do know is that these $15 bulbs are awesome with a $10 clamp-on fixture.


ktownhero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2017, 10:29 AM   #17
bif24701
Registered Member
 
bif24701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida, FWB
Posts: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
After 3 days with it my NO3 went from ~14ppm to ~8ppm and my PO4 went from .64 to .26. I haven't checked again in the last week or so but based on how much growth I see I'd imagine they are near zero. I can get back to spoiling my corals


Let the Sin Begin!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
180 Mixed Reef
SRO-5000 Skimmer
Neptune APEX Gold
Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014