Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Prozium
Registered Member

Exclamation help worms eating my coral!!!!!

OK so my favorite coral in dieing because it looks like it is being eaten by worms! I saw 1 red/orange bristle worm come out from inside the coral(I was in panic mode at this point) and a gray-ish looking worm pop up and what looks like its eating the coral. It all happened yesterday it went from healthy great looking coral to "please help me!!" some time from yesterday morning to the evening.

tank is a 29g nano cube with a 96w 50/50 bulb in it, hasn't been up for too long, only has 1 yellow bellied damsel in it.

pic's of before and after....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2218.jpg (79.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2220.jpg (66.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2244.jpg (70.0 KB, 65 views)
Prozium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:42 AM   #2
LeslieH
Premium Member

99% of the worms that pop up in tanks are detritivores, scavengers, filter-feeders, & micro-predators. They're not predators of live corals. If your coral is having problems the scavengers will be attracted to necrotic or injured tissue. It may look like they're the problem but they're not - it's something else. If you can get a decent pic of the worms I can confirm if they're harmless or not. Have you posted in the appropriate coral section? Someone there can help with parameters or other possibilities.

LeslieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

THe likelihood is that your coral is dying from some other cause (alkalinity, lighting, etc) and the worms are actually keeping it alive by cleaning up dead tissue. Check your chemistry. I very much doubt it's the worms fault.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Prozium
Registered Member

I think I found the problem the heater was turned down to almost the lowest setting.....(I don't know who did it but my whole house got a talking to) I turned it back up and the coral opened back up today.

here's 2 pics of the other worm (best I could get with my camera)

edit BTW what is the coral called (came on some live rock I bought, and I haven't been able to find it online yet)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2245.jpg (56.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2246.jpg (52.9 KB, 38 views)
Prozium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Copperhead1
Registered Member

Looks like GSP(green star polyps)

Copperhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2009, 11:32 PM   #6
nvdiz
Registered Member

kinda hard to tell what worm it is in the pics, but i agree with the others. the worm isnt causing problems

nvdiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evilness, worms, wors eating coral