Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2010, 05:03 PM   #176
matt the fiddler
Registered Member

Rodger,

6000 old model-

I did all the cleanings You covered here... and when I turn the pump on it moves about 1/2 a rotation then jams.... when i try to move it manually (unplugged) in the shaft- it moves fine.. it feels like the magnetic field isn't rotating, and just holding one position.

ideas?

matt the fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2010, 09:02 AM   #177
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The bush bearing pries out with a screw driver at the notches, this is shown in the manual, the upper bearing is best removed with a hook tool, small needlenose pliers or a #12 3" screw driven into the hole in the middle and pulled up. If it is really stuck by calcium build up, I would pour some vinegar in the impeller well and let it sit over night to loosen the calcium.

Matt- it does sound like an electronic problem, I would suggest sending it in, if it is the motor this is no longer available so we do a discounted upgrade to the 6105 in this case.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2010, 02:58 PM   #178
shawnsharon220
Registered Member

Roger, We have the tunze 6212 and have done regular maintanence on it for 2 years. We started having problems with it beeping so replaced the impellar and bearings. We still have the beep and now are getting no wave. We can turn it by hand and it will run a couple of cycles and then stops and beeps again. What else can we try?

shawnsharon220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 10:10 AM   #179
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Typically this would mean the motor has failed if the pump still does not work with a properly installed drive unit, the only possible repair is to replace the motor.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/29/2010, 03:27 PM   #180
Rukis
Moved On

So Roger,
I pulled out the impeller and bush bearing, cleaned everything out really well and am still having the off and on alarm and can get it to last longer than a few seconds on. It's on for 3-5 seconds, alarming and shutting off, then a few seconds later it will turn back on, and back and forth??... What is the issue now, could it still be the impeller? What's the proper impeller for a Tunze 6260.10? Thanks

Rukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 03:37 PM   #181
rvitko
RC Sponsor

6260 uses 6200.700 drive unit, but I would suspect it is likely the motor is going out, it would be best to send in the pump and we can figure out the best course of action as the motor is no longer made so we would have to do a discounted upgrade to the new motor, worst case scenario.

Unread 03/29/2010, 04:40 PM   #182
Rukis
Moved On

where do I send it in? thanks

Unread 03/30/2010, 08:35 AM   #183
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Unread 03/31/2010, 07:26 PM   #184
Rukis
Moved On

What all do I need to include, just the pump or the whole wavebox?

Unread 04/01/2010, 08:28 AM   #185
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Pump driver and power supply, I don't need the box and don't recommend shipping it.

Unread 07/07/2010, 01:27 PM   #186
azpoolguy
Registered Member

Transformer keeps going out

Roger, after about 6 hours of working my transformer 7410.602A keeps going off. I switched transformers from my other stream to make sure it wasn't the power head and it works fine. If I wait until the next day and plug it in it will work then repeat the same thing. Can the transformer be fixed or do I need to get a new one?

azpoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2010, 08:18 AM   #187
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The transformer is sealed and cannot be repaired. I would suggest sending in the pump and power supply as what you describe should only happen if the driver has a bad contact or the pump or driver is drawing enough power to trigger the thermal overload protection. It could also be the pump is just jammed with some calcium. This pump uses 45W, the power supply can provide 60W. If it is clogged with calcium or if you have a wavebox or 6200 and inadvertently swapped propellers the pump can excede the 60W limit, cause an overheat and shut down. There are modest variations that may allow another transformer to supply 65W or so.

Unread 07/10/2010, 11:17 PM   #188
Crabby2004
Registered Member

Dear Roger,

I've got two Tunze 6201 pumps that are not working. One doesn't work at all (propeller doesn't turn) and the other works intermittently. For the one that doesn't work at all, I've tried the powersupply with other units and the powersupply seems to be working. The pump hasn't been used much. The unit that works intermittently has a strange behavior when first turned on - it vibrates and stops at about 10-15 second cycles for a few minutes and then kicks on. So, as long as that unit is just "on" it works, but if the unit is used with a wavemaker it doesn't work since it gets stuck in the vibration behavior.

Any suggestions? I've taken the propellers out and cleaned them but that didn't seem to be the problem.

Thanks,

Jonathon

Current Tank Info: 210G SPS tank
Crabby2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2010, 09:28 AM   #189
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is likely the internal electronics of the pump. Please send in the pump-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Include a return address and phone number.

Unread 07/12/2010, 11:55 AM   #190
Crabby2004
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll send it in.

Unread 07/21/2010, 03:06 PM   #191
Crabby2004
Registered Member

Received the replacement pump today! Thank you very much.

I'm sending the second broken pump today. It was workign for a while but now just vibrates with a klack-klack-klack-klack-klack (yes, five of them) sound every few seconds.

Unread 07/21/2010, 04:10 PM   #192
rvitko
RC Sponsor

OK, sounds good.

Unread 07/30/2010, 03:49 PM   #193
fernandoh
Registered Member

Hello Roger, I have two 6100.10 pumps old style (the square ones), when I conect them the driver emits an alarm and the pumps won't work, I bought them 3 years ago.

Yersterday I cleaned them as you posted at the beggining of this post and one worked for just one minute and then stoped again.

the problem began 2 months ago when one of them stop, I cleaned and I worked again for one month, then the other failed and I couldn't make it work again, three days ago the other one stoped.

For what I have read I think the problem is in my motors, what is the lifespan on these motors?

Do you think I should send them to you for an inspection?

Thank you.

Fernando.

fernandoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2010, 07:49 AM   #194
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Fernando,

It really depends on cleaning and care and also just a bit of luck against small assembly errors, they have a two year warranty, I have seen pumps form the first ones made in 2002 that still work and occasionally we had pumps that due to a defect died within a day or two of being installed. The goal is 5 years, we build everything around a 5 year service life. I would send them in, if we can't fix them, we will discount an upgrade to the new 6105.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Unread 09/16/2010, 07:47 AM   #195
Mark Elliott
Registered Member

Hi, Can anyone help? I have two Tunze 6105s running off a 7095 controller. I'm off on vacation tomorrow and decided to clean the pumps yesterday (that was dumb - I should have done it last month!). Internally there was a trace of limescale that came off easily but nothing else except algae on the casing.

Anyway one of the 6105s now won't start up (straight after cleaning it was fine, but 24 hours later its stopped). There's power getting to it OK and the impellor twitches when the 7095 turns the pump on, but the impellor refuses to spin up, so no flow. The other pump is OK and the 7095 is fine too - swapping connections and power supplies has eliminated anything other than a problem with the specific 6105.

Iv'e taken it apart and reassembled it agin, there's nothing blocking the impellor!

Any ideas? this pump is too new and expensive to simply throw away.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2010, 08:54 AM   #196
rvitko
RC Sponsor

They have a 2 year warranty so do not throw them away. The two most likely culprits are that lime has cemented the magnetic rotor and propeller to the metal shaft, it must spin freely on the metal shaft, the shaft stays stationary and the magnet spins. Clean the shaft and the hole in the magnet and make sure it spins smoothly. The other possibility I can think of would be if during cleaning one of the external electrical components got wet, this sort of issue would not be warranty but can be repaired.

Unread 09/17/2010, 10:29 AM   #197
Mark Elliott
Registered Member

Cleaned 6105 not starting (see above)

Well now I'm totally confused! I took the pump out and cleaned it again. The only limescale I'd missed was in the groove cut across the rubber O ring at the base of the spindle. I gave everything a good clean and checked it all span on its bearings.

Back in the tank and.... zip! Nothing not when controlled via the 7095 or directly driven off the transformer.

So I put it on the 7095, left it and put the TV on to watch the Cricket (US citizens may need to Google that, sorry).

90 minutes later and the pump is running!

Obviously I'm not touching it again, if I had to I'd guess the internal electronics somehow went awry, but as it's sealed I'm just thankful it now works.

Mark

Unread 10/02/2010, 05:24 AM   #198
Mark Elliott
Registered Member

Tunze 6105 "failure"

Well after a few more intermittent failures to start the 6105 I've eventually figured this out. Other RC users might benefit from this so....

The transformer (6101.240 - now replaced by another model 6105.240) had failed. The red light still lit up and the output was still OK at 18v (17.96v on my voltmeter). But somehow the transformer failed to peoduce enough peak current to start the pump consistently.

I'm not an electrician (shame really it would be useful) but if I had to I guess I'd say a capacitor in the transformer was leaking so the initial surge of power necessary to start the pump wasn't always generated. That meant sometimes the pump started, sometimes it didn't.

There's no obvious sign of failure but the transformer didn't get as warm as it should (since no current was being drawn). Other than that it's a puzzle how to identify the problem, and if you do the only solution is a complete new transformer unit when all that's needed is a cheap capacitor.

BTW the voltmeter is really a great gadget - inexpensive and brilliant at identifying stray voltages in a reef.

Mark

Unread 10/04/2010, 08:25 AM   #199
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thanks! Yes, I have seen this as well. I am not sure it is a capacitor as with more testing you will likely find the voltage drops under load, as soon as you connect the power supply to a pump the voltage drops to nearly zero which leads me to believe it is something more involved like a safety feature (overload) responding inappropriately.

Unread 10/05/2010, 12:14 AM   #200
delphinus
Registered Member

Hi,

I have two 6100 units. One is slightly older than the other. One of the drivers is model 7420.26 and the other is the newer 7420.27. Whichever pump head I attach to the 7420.26 seems to occasionally jam and then restart. Because the problem seems to follow with the driver I suspect the motors are fine and it is the driver.

Can I send the 7420.26 in for service or upgrade, or can I simply purchase a newer 7420.27?

Current Tank Info: 280g Reef, 65g FOWLR
delphinus is offline   Reply With Quote