Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2010, 06:28 AM   #1
frag factory
Moved On

blue ring proof tank

i am designing a tank that is 100% octoperfect

my idea is if i can make it perfectly safe for blue rings its perfectly safe for the rest of the octo family

my idea right now is to make a regular tank out of acrylic

imagine it like a cube with a hole on top

in here there will be a circle thread with a very fine mesh so theres no way any octo could get through but air flow is not too restricted

this will be a screw on cap

there will be 2 padlock points

what do you think? a i going on the right line?

i want a blue ring - ive kept 100's of bad *** snakes before - i know the risks and feel i have experience

i will test it with a non deadly octo first though

frag factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Lmecher
Registered Member

Why are people so drawn to blue rings? Is it the challenge of keeping a dangerous animal? They are beauthful that's a given but in most every other way they are not the most desirable octopus to keep. They have a poor survival rate in captivity, not good shippers, not known for being very active, definately not interactive and one bite it all it takes. Now explain how you are going to clean the tank? I can't imagine getting the glass clean (corners) without putting my hands in. I keep octopuses because I truely love their intelligents, interactivness and distinct personalities. There are so many safer species that very rewarding and IMO just as beautiful. My O.vulgaris is wonderfully playful and we interact daily. She actually begs for attention. Yesterday she was begging for attention during a water change. She kept bumping me with her head so I'd pet her. She even poped her head out of the water to have a look at me. I just think you will be missing out on the best part of octopus keeping.
I hope your test convinces you that there is so much more to keeping them. Ploping a pertty creature in a escape proof box and watching it seems boring. Maybe I am odd but I want more out it than that
Diablo with her head out of the water checkin me out.

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 11:54 AM   #3
frag factory
Moved On

i am drawn to the most dangerous animals

i used to breed rattle snakes - i had over 50 at one point

i love the thrill

not to mention the beauty of the animal - they look insane

how do you keep your octo from climbing out?

frag factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Lmecher
Registered Member

This was taken during a water change, cover is off. She is very active I keep her sealed up in her tank. I am not taking chances.

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 01:28 AM   #5
808Rob
Registered Member

How do you keep them sealed up in a tank? Are there absolutely no return lines going back to the tank or HOB equipment? I would think that any type of crack or hole, they'll be able to get through.

808Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 12:08 PM   #6
The Reef Expert
Moved On

Remember that blue rings can fit through any holes that are as big as their beaks. and thats freakin tiny!!

The Reef Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 02:27 PM   #7
sedor
Registered Member

Instead of fabrication a whole different kind of tank why not use a regular aquarium with a lid similar to the ones used to keep snakes in. Its a screen type mesh, and then you can clips for the sides that hold it very firmly in place. I used to use them when I had a ball python.

Unread 06/10/2010, 05:03 PM   #8
borcu
bordox

very nice animal however not living much.

Unread 06/12/2010, 01:29 PM   #9
WTyson
Registered Member

instead of an octo you could just get a bunch of cone snails, they are also very deadly

WTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

I make my own research tanks for blue-rings. They are all glass with flat, even side walls that allow me to lay a heavy plate of glass on them providing no gaps. I usually set another 5 lbs of weight on the lid just to make sure that it can't be lifted by the octopus. I use canister filtration with two holes drilled near the top that are just the diameter of the hose. The canister hoses are run through the holes. Actually to make them tight, I place a two inch length of hose into the hole and compress 90 degree barbed fittings into each end. This provides an 180 degree connector and expands the hose to provide a tight fit. The water output fitted to a spray arm with very small holes and the water intake is covered with a piece of foam secured with a rubber band. I have never had a blue-ring escape except when the lid was left ajar by a couple of mm or during feeding or maintenance.

I don't recommend that people keep blue-rings, but if you do, make sure that they are in an escape proof aquarium and in a secure location where an unattended child can get to them. The usual fix of a piece of duct tape hear and a cork there won't work. Neither will Astroturf.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Cichlid-Dave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTyson View Post
instead of an octo you could just get a bunch of cone snails, they are also very deadly
and also can be real pretty!!!

55 Low Tech 55 Natural
Cichlid-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2010, 05:05 PM   #12
EaZy DuZ iT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmecher View Post
Why are people so drawn to blue rings? Is it the challenge of keeping a dangerous animal? They are beauthful that's a given but in most every other way they are not the most desirable octopus to keep. They have a poor survival rate in captivity, not good shippers, not known for being very active, definately not interactive and one bite it all it takes. Now explain how you are going to clean the tank? I can't imagine getting the glass clean (corners) without putting my hands in. I keep octopuses because I truely love their intelligents, interactivness and distinct personalities. There are so many safer species that very rewarding and IMO just as beautiful. My O.vulgaris is wonderfully playful and we interact daily. She actually begs for attention. Yesterday she was begging for attention during a water change. She kept bumping me with her head so I'd pet her. She even poped her head out of the water to have a look at me. I just think you will be missing out on the best part of octopus keeping.
I hope your test convinces you that there is so much more to keeping them. Ploping a pertty creature in a escape proof box and watching it seems boring. Maybe I am odd but I want more out it than that
Diablo with her head out of the water checkin me out.

This should be made a sticky! You the man!

Unread 12/26/2010, 08:21 AM   #13
Eric the half-bee
Passer of gasses

Those are awesome pics Lmecher. I love the limited interaction I have with my tangs and zebra eel. Nothing like your octos, though. She looks like she's ready to play fetch in the pics.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. – Barry Goldwater

Current Tank Info: Semi agressive reef-400 gal.-8 tangs,2 rabbit fish,zebra moray,blue ribbon eel,Janss' pipe,pair bangaiis,wrasse,tomato clown,maroon clown
Eric the half-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2010, 06:57 PM   #14
bohannbj
Gone Fishin'

Make sure you get your doctor to prescribe some ambien so you can sleep at night. When I first got an octopus the tank was next to my bed. I kept having dreams it was coming down to greet me in the middle of the night. Can't imagine what having a blue-ring is like. Maybe if you put it in a panic room with steel walls and video surveillance to make sure it is still in the tank before you enter. Personally I would just stay with Lmecher's approach but that's just me. Not to say don't do it, because I say do whatever blows your hair back, but remember that a rattlesnake bite isn't necessarily lethal and antivenin is readily available. Can't say that for blue-ring venom.

Current Tank Info: 270+180 + 75= 525 & 65 + 15= 80
bohannbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 12:01 AM   #15
Mrrealmadrid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohannbj View Post
Make sure you get your doctor to prescribe some ambien so you can sleep at night. When I first got an octopus the tank was next to my bed. I kept having dreams it was coming down to greet me in the middle of the night. Can't imagine what having a blue-ring is like. Maybe if you put it in a panic room with steel walls and video surveillance to make sure it is still in the tank before you enter. Personally I would just stay with Lmecher's approach but that's just me. Not to say don't do it, because I say do whatever blows your hair back, but remember that a rattlesnake bite isn't necessarily lethal and antivenin is readily available. Can't say that for blue-ring venom.
You DO NOT want to get zapped by a rattler... Even with antivemon you will wish you were dead... Having a blue ring isnt smart either but I have seen videos of people "playing" with blue rings with no negative results... You will never see anyone "playing" with and intact rattler

Mrrealmadrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2010, 09:07 PM   #16
calamityjane
Moved On

LMECHER , that is a very nice octo , can you post some pics of the tank ?

calamityjane is offline   Reply With Quote