Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2010, 06:10 PM   #1
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Who else has A. thiellei???

I've been searching for pictures of, information about and people who own A. thiellei for over a year now and have only definitively found four people who have them. This notion sounds silly to me because I just can't imagine that these are all there are.
I've read on the 'Clownfish you can't buy and why' thread that there is at least one Japanese supplier who gets them in regularly. Yet I have not managed to find any pictures from Asia much less Japan in particular that were not "borrowed" from one of the four people I know to have them from over here. The only other fellow I can find info on having had a pair was a fellow from Portugal who lost his in a system crash.

To date I know that I have a pair, Mike Thielle has a pair and two other US hobbyists have individuals.

My suppliers and those with whom I have spoken who own them have claimed that they are coming out of Cebu Philippines. So, one could deduce that this is the major port from which they are shipped and that they probably are caught in or near the Philippines; which is consistant with the information given to Dr. Burgess when he made the original description (based on preserved specimens donated by Mike Thielle.)

Dr. Fautin said that they are have been found in other areas more recently.

Anyhow I digress. Who else has them??? Please provide photos. Dive photos are welcome too.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife

Last edited by WDLV; 05/02/2010 at 06:23 PM.
WDLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2010, 07:36 PM   #2
clowns101
Registered Member

I myself dont have these fish,have been on the look out and have contacted a few people(even Mike)on how about getting these fish.

At this point I really dont think there is very many in the U.S.I think there would have been more,but since most of these animals come in DOA or Die shortly after arrival,there are only few that have them.

One thing with this sp. is that it could be a hybrid.If it is a hybrid I see no reason why it couldnt reproduce in captivity with the proper combonation of clownfish sp.(if its a hybrid)Some say this sp. is a hybrid,a sp. alone not a hybrid,and even that it is a mroph of Amphiprion leucokranos .

Other than the 4 people that have them that you know of I doubt theres more than 1 or 2 other whom have this sp. of clownfish.

If there are facilities in Japan and in the Philippines that get these fish often,they must know the value of these fish or they have such poor husbandry that these fish have no chances(which is understandable).

I may be WAY out of the ball feild but thats my opinion and my experince with trying to obtain these fish.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef system
clowns101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 06:05 AM   #3
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Yeah, I've beaten the hybrid conversation to death in other threads. I'm just putting out what is probably a futile attempt to pull some other keepers out of the woodwork. Or maybe a few tattle tales for the shy ones who won't come out of the closet. I think that new fellow on RCF did not include them on the list of those he didn't have.
We'll see....

One thing I will say on the topic of them being hybrids is that Dr. Fautin said thielleis were being seen in an area that I know is not uncommon to see leucokranos. For that reason I have to question whether they are being seen there at all because Drs. Fautin and Allen are of the belief that they are the same fish. So, one must question if sightings are being counted as "A. thiellei" or if they're being counted under a leucokranos/thiellei designation. That's why I request pictures when someone (anyone) says that they have one. If 20 leucokranos/thiellei designees turn up on a checksheet from a particular island chain, it's not the same as having 4 thielleis and 16 leucokranos on a check sheet.

I hope that nobody interprets the above as meaning that I do not respect Drs Fautin and Allen. I have the utmost respect for them and their contributions. I simply think they are a different hybrid cross.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/03/2010, 07:14 AM   #4
MarinaP
Registered Member

Seems that the main difference between the 2 is body shape (thielle is more like perc/oc and leuks is more like chrys).

Here is a 5-month old leuk baby

Unread 05/03/2010, 09:10 AM   #5
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Yes that's one of the three things I think differs.

1. Body plan.
2. Body coloration (more orange -vs- yellow or brown.)
3. Markings are brighter and more well defined in A. thiellei (particularly on the rear half of the body.)

When i compare this....

To this....

I don't think they even look close. If leucokranos looks like anything, I think it's A. nigripes. My leucs are presenting a bit of black in their ventral and anal fins these days. The above picture was taken the day I got my female leuc about 3-4 years ago. I think the blackening of the belly fins is a maturity issue.

Just for comparison. Here's A. nigripes. (not to say I think they have anything to do with the above mentioned hybrids.)

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife

Last edited by WDLV; 05/03/2010 at 09:36 AM.
Unread 05/03/2010, 03:01 PM   #6
clowns101
Registered Member

I agree with every thing said Walt.The only real thing the 2 fish have in common is probobly the Barring Pattern.The Leuc's however have mush less coloration on the Dorsal fish area,where as Theillie has a destinc patter on the Dorsal fish area/region.I think the 2 fish look nothing alike and dont know exactly how they could be the same fish as some have stated in their theroys.

So anyways I hope you can find more people with them.If I remember right,a guy on RCF,picked up what looked like a Theillie with Leuc's coloration but with the body shape of Theillie and also a barring patter similern to Theillie also.

So many qustions and so many un-answerd ones too.

Unread 05/03/2010, 03:21 PM   #7
isseym328
Registered Member

If anyone has an extra Theillei please pm me. My single female is very lonely.

Current Tank Info: 270 gallon starphire
isseym328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 04:03 PM   #8
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Got pics? I would pair it with A. sandaracinos until you find another.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/03/2010, 04:16 PM   #9
isseym328
Registered Member

I can take a pic of it easier now that it's hosting in my frbta. I'll attempt tonight.

I had a pair. One of them jumped out unfortunately. So I'm hesitant to pair it up with anything else other than another Thiellei. I'm ok with waiting until I find the perfect mate for her.

Unread 05/03/2010, 04:24 PM   #10
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowns101 View Post
I agree with every thing said Walt.The only real thing the 2 fish have in common is probobly the Barring Pattern.The Leuc's however have mush less coloration on the Dorsal fish area,where as Theillie has a destinc patter on the Dorsal fish area/region.I think the 2 fish look nothing alike and dont know exactly how they could be the same fish as some have stated in their theroys.

So anyways I hope you can find more people with them.If I remember right,a guy on RCF,picked up what looked like a Theillie with Leuc's coloration but with the body shape of Theillie and also a barring patter similern to Theillie also.

So many qustions and so many un-answerd ones too.
The two people I know to have individuals are members of RCF. One is named "thiellei" and the other is "Amphibious." Thiellei sold his to Kris. i haven't heard from either of those members in a long time.

Schlect13 had or has a nice leucokranos that was very yellow.

Amphibious had a couple pics of his thiellei that had brown coloration but that was just a color mis-representation caused by lighting or something. It's actually orange like mine.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/03/2010, 04:26 PM   #11
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by isseym328 View Post
I can take a pic of it easier now that it's hosting in my frbta. I'll attempt tonight.

I had a pair. One of them jumped out unfortunately. So I'm hesitant to pair it up with anything else other than another Thiellei. I'm ok with waiting until I find the perfect mate for her.
Holy crap that really sucks.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/03/2010, 04:39 PM   #12
isseym328
Registered Member

Sure was Walt! I think it jumped because it was chasing a Leuc during the night, so it was sort of an accident he was not trying to jump out.

Both of my Thiellei I was fortunate enough to pick them up from different LFS. The one that jumped was sold to me as a skunk clown. I got real lucky.

Should've bought the one you got from BZA.

Unread 05/03/2010, 05:29 PM   #13
clowns101
Registered Member

Blue Zoo Aquatics had a Theillie?Did I read that wrong?

Unread 05/03/2010, 05:52 PM   #14
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Nope. My second one came from BZA.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/03/2010, 07:21 PM   #15
thebkramer
Registered Member

Is there a difference between the thiellei and the leucokranos? I will do some more of my own research, just wanted to ask.
Here is a link, they sometimes mislabel their critters:
http://www.qualitymarine.com/Product...Wild/Clownfish

Edit: Just found your post with rareclownfish..

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2010, 08:12 PM   #16
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Here's the whole thing. http://www.clowntank.com/About_Us.html

The RCF and RC versions are a good read because they have pics and others' opinions that you won't find in the article but the article has a little more info in a more condensed format. I tend to think out loud more on forums.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/03/2010, 11:14 PM   #17
isseym328
Registered Member

Unread 05/04/2010, 07:13 AM   #18
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Nice looking thiellei! I'd like to see more of these if you don't mind. If you have a pic from when you had your pair that would be great too.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/04/2010, 07:46 AM   #19
fin_wing
Registered Member

I'm live in Taiwan. I purchased my A. thiellei in our lfs ,and they said it was from Java,Indonesia.

fin_wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 07:59 AM   #20
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Now that is an odd one. There is no white marking at the caudal peduncle. Do you think you might be able to get some clearer shots? Thank you very much for posting the location of origin.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/04/2010, 01:12 PM   #21
fin_wing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDLV View Post
Now that is an odd one. There is no white marking at the caudal peduncle. Do you think you might be able to get some clearer shots? Thank you very much for posting the location of origin.
How about the two pics. She is really a shy girl and difficult to photo a lateral pic.

fin_wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 02:13 PM   #22
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Those are great shots. Given what I'm seeing I have to wonder if there's some A. perideraion in the blood line. I had spoken with a company that was conducting genetic tests (forgot the name) and they said that they have had a heck of a hard time nailing down the genetic markers for skunk clowns because there is a lot of inter-breeding with them that goes beyond what you see with leucokranos and thiellei.

That really is a one of a kind fish. Thanks for sharing!!!

BTW, is that a S. mertensii carpet???

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/05/2010, 12:40 PM   #23
hyperboy
Premium Member

Here is a pic of one I got from my LFS last week. Came from Solomon Islands.

Unread 05/05/2010, 12:43 PM   #24
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

That's A. leucokranos... and a pretty one at that.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 05/05/2010, 12:44 PM   #25
isseym328
Registered Member

Looks like a Leuc to me.