Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2020, 10:57 PM   #1
AusReef79
Registered Member

Live vs. Dry Rock & proposed Waterbox 20 setup

G’day Folks, I’m looking at getting a Waterbox 20 for my daughter and the plan is to have some ocellaris, anemone, SPS, gobys... I’m thinking of four, max six, fish. I just wanted peoples thoughts on the proposed setup:

Aquarium: Waterbox 20 AIO
Filtration: Mechanical and Chemical (Carbon) with biological taken care of in the substrate/rock
Skimmer: Tunze 9004
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.5
Lights: AI Prime HD+
ATO: Tunze Nano 3152
Wave maker: Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10
Substrate: Live Sand (Possibly Caribsea Black) and aiming for a reef setup

At the moment I’m deciding on aquascaping - I’m tossing up between live rock and dry rock - pros and cons of both...live rock there’s plenty of bacteria and you might get some good, or bad, surprises. Dry rock can be easier to work with - assemble out of the tank etc. What are people’s opinions/thoughts? I do like the idea of getting some critters from the live rock - I just don’t want them pests 😂 I’d also appreciate some feedback on the setup. Eventually I want to get a real display tank for me 6+ foot 😜 so getting it for my 5yr old daughter is more for me realistically 😂

AusReef79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2020, 08:23 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

I would go mostly dry rock (to save money), and then add a piece of LR for the biodiversity. It will spread to the other rocks. Try to buy your live rock from another hobbyist with an established, pest-free tank.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Fiish
Registered Member

Dry rock to play better with aquascape, I think it is a good recommendation to add a portion of live rock to help with your cycling, in any case remember that it is not good to rush things in this hobby. Get the rocks from a reputable store, and if you can select it to your liking.

Fiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2020, 08:51 PM   #4
drs2140
Registered Member

I like to go mostly dry and source live rock from multiple local hobbiest to boost the micro fauna and biological filtration

drs2140 is offline   Reply With Quote