Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2017, 09:42 AM   #726
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFS View Post
Auripes and Nippon are most commonly available, but for some reason not Wieblei. I will work with a few folks to try and procure some Wiebeli if the opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,
Kevin
Hey Kevin,

That would be one heck of a thing. Dayton Ohio say hello, btw.

Curious to know if you have a feeling for the price range.

Thanks,

Matt

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 11:53 AM   #727
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Hey Kevin,

That would be one heck of a thing. Dayton Ohio say hello, btw.

Curious to know if you have a feeling for the price range.

Thanks,

Matt
Dude,

So cool to have Kevin acting as point on this and to still see him doing what has made DD/LA many of our default LFS.

Following and wishing you every success. Great to see you doing this. I admire your courage. Lol, the Arabian, I drool over that fish.
If I can do anything to assist, let me know!

Best of luck,

Ted

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 12:11 PM   #728
caribfan
Registered Member

Hey Ted,

I'm hopeful Kevin can come through here, I don't have near the connections you do, but I know a few people, and it sounds like these fish are just not imported to the states often.

The Arabian is trying, not having success so far, but time will tell. Are you familiar with a product called mastic? Think it's sold on Amazon. I'm going to try that soon I think, it's a gel that you have to mix up.

Hope you and the tank are doing well.

Matt

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Unread 08/22/2017, 07:57 AM   #729
Naraku
Registered Member

how is the Moorish idol?

I want to try one again but they tend to just stop eating and get skinny.

Naraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:30 AM   #730
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
how is the Moorish idol?

I want to try one again but they tend to just stop eating and get skinny.
Mine is doing well, eats like a pig. I am feeding the tank heavily to try and fatten him up. He's gaining girth on the underside near his pelvic fins, but still isn't filling out up top. I figure it will take time.

He gets a diet of LRS and Julian Sprung Sea Veggies. And the occasional clams.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:33 AM   #731
caribfan
Registered Member

Here is a video of the Declivis, Semilarvatus and Golden Puffer. Everyone is doing well.

I'm acclimating the P. Ocellatus currently.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:41 AM   #732
Naraku
Registered Member

are you qt ing with prazi + copper?

Unfortunately my rainfordi pair died from brook. I was hesitant to treat them because they were eating pellets aggressively.

Unread 08/22/2017, 08:44 AM   #733
Naraku
Registered Member

did you get the idol from la?

The ones at my lfs tend to be skinny.

Unread 08/22/2017, 08:46 AM   #734
caribfan
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the Rainfordi, one of my favorite fish for sure.

I would typically treat with Cupramine and Prazi. I'm not sure what my plan is going to be here honestly, specifically because that Declivis is so tiny and puffers typically don't like copper. I did treat my black dog face in copper without issue, but this fish is almost twice the cost, so I'm a little skiddish on the copper.

Where did the brook come from?

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:47 AM   #735
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
did you get the idol from la?

The ones at my lfs tend to be skinny.
No, my local guy sourced it for me. Not sure where it came from, but it was skinny when it came in.

He's kind of a jerk, he'll actually attack my Achilles sometimes.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/22/2017, 09:10 AM   #736
Naraku
Registered Member

bza. brand new qt tank

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the Rainfordi, one of my favorite fish for sure.

I would typically treat with Cupramine and Prazi. I'm not sure what my plan is going to be here honestly, specifically because that Declivis is so tiny and puffers typically don't like copper. I did treat my black dog face in copper without issue, but this fish is almost twice the cost, so I'm a little skiddish on the copper.

Where did the brook come from?

Unread 08/22/2017, 09:53 AM   #737
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
bza. brand new qt tank
Hadn't they been in quarantine for a while? Did you add something new from BZA that introduced the Brook? Or did it just manifest itself after some time?

I've never dealt with brook before thankfully, but it's my understanding that fish typically come down with the symptoms shortly after it's introduced. Could be wrong though.

Sucks either way.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/22/2017, 02:07 PM   #738
Naraku
Registered Member

Quote:
Hadn't they been in quarantine for a while? Did you add something new from BZA that introduced the Brook? Or did it just manifest itself after some time?

I've never dealt with brook before thankfully, but it's my understanding that fish typically come down with the symptoms shortly after it's introduced. Could be wrong though.

Sucks either way.
It came down in like 2 weeks.
I noticed that copper and furan seem like very useful drug.

They were the only fish in qt

After treating my current fish, their appetite go up.

Unread 08/22/2017, 05:34 PM   #739
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
It came down in like 2 weeks.
I noticed that copper and furan seem like very useful drug.

They were the only fish in qt

After treating my current fish, their appetite go up.
So had you treated with copper prior to the brook development? Which product are you using?

I'm going to dip the declivis tonight, looks like she's got a fluke on her tail. Will be starting prazi if that's the case.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:00 PM   #740
Naraku
Registered Member

No, I started treating my current butterflies because the Auriga developed a sore. This happened after 2 months of observation.

I tank transferred them and then observed them. I didn't use chemicals on them because my in my past experience ( treatment + ttm) is too much.

The rainfordi were never treated, because I was focused on getting them to eat.
With rainfordi, I think its up to the individual. sometimes, they eat every well. In other shipments they never eat. 50% chance getting one that is eating.

Unread 08/23/2017, 09:42 PM   #741
Naraku
Registered Member

Caribfan,

I just saw your dream fish on DD! Better act now.

Unread 08/24/2017, 04:48 AM   #742
caribfan
Registered Member

The P. Ocellatus? I ordered the first one that came available last Friday, showed up this past Tuesday. It's doing ok, but not eating much or at all really. I'm going to give it another day and then move it to a new tank.

Thanks for the heads up though, l try to get another video with that fish in it.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/24/2017, 06:40 AM   #743
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
The P. Ocellatus? I ordered the first one that came available last Friday, showed up this past Tuesday. It's doing ok, but not eating much or at all really. I'm going to give it another day and then move it to a new tank.

Thanks for the heads up though, l try to get another video with that fish in it.
Looking forward to your progress!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 06:33 AM   #744
caribfan
Registered Member

Finally something to report. The Ocellatus starting picking at food for the first time last night. The behavior is very reminiscent of the Altivelis Coradion I had a while back. Kind of a shy and timid feeder, not really out with the rest of the fish eating.

I dipped the Declivis two days ago and had two small flukes pop off. I'm going to dip the Semi this afternoon, I'm pretty sure I've got a small infestation going. I don't want to start prazi yet though because the ocellatus isn't eating well yet. I may have to move him and start treatment anyway.

Quick video of my display tank and then quarantine tank. Does anybody know how to improve the video quality? Should I change the spectrum on my LEDs to all white?

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/26/2017, 08:47 AM   #745
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

IMO dipping will really help, and if a fish isn't eating well yet, it's definitely a way to go. Prazi is great for established fish, but IME it really does kill the appetite.

Your fish look great!! Ugh I really miss my flavirostris.... time to source another.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 08/26/2017, 09:30 AM   #746
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Finally something to report. The Ocellatus starting picking at food for the first time last night. The behavior is very reminiscent of the Altivelis Coradion I had a while back. Kind of a shy and timid feeder, not really out with the rest of the fish eating.

I dipped the Declivis two days ago and had two small flukes pop off. I'm going to dip the Semi this afternoon, I'm pretty sure I've got a small infestation going. I don't want to start prazi yet though because the ocellatus isn't eating well yet. I may have to move him and start treatment anyway.

Quick video of my display tank and then quarantine tank. Does anybody know how to improve the video quality? Should I change the spectrum on my LEDs to all white?

Drooling again...lol, just watched 3 times, looking great, continued success!
Try taking a video with only natural light, if that is possible. More whites could help too. Keep em coming!

Ted

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 10:42 AM   #747
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
IMO dipping will really help, and if a fish isn't eating well yet, it's definitely a way to go. Prazi is great for established fish, but IME it really does kill the appetite.

Your fish look great!! Ugh I really miss my flavirostris.... time to source another.
I definitely agree, I'm not the biggest fan of Prazi. I always end up dipping the fish after treatment anyway to be sure the flukes are gone anyway.

I think it's definitely time for some new additions to your tank. I'm targeting a mitratus around Christmas time.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/26/2017, 10:44 AM   #748
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
Drooling again...lol, just watched 3 times, looking great, continued success!
Try taking a video with only natural light, if that is possible. More whites could help too. Keep em coming!

Ted
Thanks Ted, I think it's gonna be a long road on the ocellatus.

I'll try to change the lighting and take another video this afternoon. Tanks are in the basement, not much natural light.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 08/26/2017, 11:49 PM   #749
Naraku
Registered Member

Its really skinny. need to get eating asap

Quote:

Unread 08/27/2017, 12:12 AM   #750
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
I definitely agree, I'm not the biggest fan of Prazi. I always end up dipping the fish after treatment anyway to be sure the flukes are gone anyway.

I think it's definitely time for some new additions to your tank. I'm targeting a mitratus around Christmas time.
Unfortunately my burgessi will kill that idea.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.