Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2019, 07:44 AM   #1
Seaweed Brain
Registered Member

Waterbox aquariums???

Anyone have any experience with waterbox aquariums? Specifically their 30 gallon AIO? I’ve been wanting to build a proper stand for my current 20 gallon reef. And I figured that if I’m going to be moving everything and resetting up my aquarium that I might as well upgrade. My current tank is drilled with a sump, but I’ve always want to swap it for an AIO.

Seaweed Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2019, 08:47 PM   #2
rockhead51
Registered Member

LOL- I have an AIO, and if I was upgrading or starting over, I'd go with a sump!
Drilled and with a sump gives you much more flexibility and room to add and try new techniques. I'm not saying not to, just that you need to really do a pro/con analysis before you make that leap.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 10:35 AM   #3
kevin21
Registered Member

I have the waterbox 50.3 and absolutely love it....

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 03:19 PM   #4
ManhattanReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed Brain View Post
Anyone have any experience with waterbox aquariums? Specifically their 30 gallon AIO? I’ve been wanting to build a proper stand for my current 20 gallon reef. And I figured that if I’m going to be moving everything and resetting up my aquarium that I might as well upgrade. My current tank is drilled with a sump, but I’ve always want to swap it for an AIO.
I would be disappointed with the lack of customization in an AIO vs having a sump. I would only go the AIO option if you don't have the resources/space for a sump, especially for a reef where you may want to later add reactors or other equipment.

ManhattanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 01:44 PM   #5
kevin21
Registered Member

I can argue that there is plenty of space in the back of my 50.3 AIO for addidtions if I needed. Currently I have my ATO, 2 heaters, 2 filter socks, and a protein skimmer in the back, and I definitely have room to run a reactor if I chose to do so. But I do get your point.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 50g, Tunze 9004 dc skimmer, Vortech mp10, Kessil ap700
kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote