Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 04:32 AM   #351
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Ron I'm thinking more along the lines of the radion ab programs or similar.
Corey
The photons do not come with programs. But then I wouldn't expect EcoTech or anybody else to make the lighting program I want for my tank. Not the mix of spectrum, not the sunrise/sunset ramp, not the length of midday and not the time of day that I want.

IMHO it's just not that hard to understand or to set up on your own. I don't think anybody selling led fixtures has an inside track on what the light should be. Different corals and different tanks have different sweet spots. But in general, they are all very similar and a specific program isn't going to be much help unless you don't understand the light needs at all.

Unread 11/07/2017, 08:57 AM   #352
biecacka
Registered Member

I understand Ron. I just like the plug and play aspect, not a deal breakers though

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 12:16 PM   #353
bnagy0
Registered Member

I feel like I might not be getting the best potential growth on my tank. I have a mixed reef in a 60x24x24 150 gallon. I have 2 photon v2's. With all 6 channels, what would be a good max output per channel? Currently I'm using the blue and whites the majority, then I add the others for color. But I don't go much over 10%.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bnagy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 05:37 AM   #354
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnagy0 View Post
I feel like I might not be getting the best potential growth on my tank. I have a mixed reef in a 60x24x24 150 gallon. I have 2 photon v2's. With all 6 channels, what would be a good max output per channel? Currently I'm using the blue and whites the majority, then I add the others for color. But I don't go much over 10%.

Thoughts?
I assume you mean you don't go much over 10% on the red & green channels only? What are the peak percentages for the 2 blue channels and for how long at the peak?

I have a 60"x24"x20" with a 50" V2 fixture. It was 70% sps and in just one year the corals were growing very well. From 1" and 2" frags to 6" and 10" colonies. However, just a month ago my chiller didn't turn off when it was supposed to and drop the water below 60F. I lost 95% of my sps. Now I see how much the zoas had grown under the sps and I'm doing an all zoa and anemone tank.

If your corals aren't growing fast enough for you, there are 3 possible reasons:
1)Your expectations may be too high.
2)You have other issues in your tank (water quality, nutrition, flow...).
3)You don't have the fixture set properly.

Here is my light schedule:

Unread 11/19/2017, 03:31 PM   #355
bnagy0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I assume you mean you don't go much over 10% on the red & green channels only? What are the peak percentages for the 2 blue channels and for how long at the peak?

I have a 60"x24"x20" with a 50" V2 fixture. It was 70% sps and in just one year the corals were growing very well. From 1" and 2" frags to 6" and 10" colonies. However, just a month ago my chiller didn't turn off when it was supposed to and drop the water below 60F. I lost 95% of my sps. Now I see how much the zoas had grown under the sps and I'm doing an all zoa and anemone tank.

If your corals aren't growing fast enough for you, there are 3 possible reasons:
1)Your expectations may be too high.
2)You have other issues in your tank (water quality, nutrition, flow...).
3)You don't have the fixture set properly.

Yes, only the red and green stay low. I run my lights 9am-10pm, ramp up and down. At the peak they run for 4 hrs, 90% blue, 30% white.

I like your table, I may adjust my setup similar to yours, worth a try.

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bnagy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2017, 01:45 PM   #356
ddumanski
Registered Member

44 Gallon Tank

Hi all i have a 44 gallon 36Lx12Dx24H would you suggest the 24 or 32 V-2 thank you

ddumanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 06:10 AM   #357
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddumanski View Post
Hi all i have a 44 gallon 36Lx12Dx24H would you suggest the 24 or 32 V-2 thank you
Either will work. But the 32" will have a couple of advantages. First the coverage will be less of an issue end to end, that's easy. Second, you'll 72 leds vs 44 in the smaller unit. That means you can run it at slightly lower setting to get the same PAR.

If you can afford the 32", that's what I'd buy.

Good luck either way.

Unread 01/16/2018, 03:24 PM   #358
Editour2
Frank

I just replaced my original 3 x 180 watt LED fixtures, (these only contained cool white, blue & royal blue LEDs), with 2 photon V2 32" fixtures. These are supplemented with 4 x 80watt T5 bulbs (photons in the center with 2xT5's in front & back). I was just wondering what the consensus was on the Violet LED's regarding intensity settings. I see Ron from your schedule that you max out at 40%....was just wondering what others are doing. I max out the green and red at 15% and they are only on during peak hours.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 07:25 AM   #359
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

My 40% max on violet is VERY arbitrary and not due to any issues or concerns. I run a lot of blue and adding more violet starts to make the take a deeper blue than I want. I could just as easily reduce some of the blues and add in more violet. But IMHO the blue spectrum is more important to the photosynthesis of the zooxanthellae than the violet. But that's just my opinion, there is very little science behind it.

I tried t5's and didn't like that it eliminated the shimmer and was uncontrollable in terms of intensity. So I went with 2 led strips from 21ledusa. One is all blue in the back (with dimmers) and one is 50/50 white and blue in the front (with individual dimmers). So I have less shadows, still have the shimmer I want, I don't have to replace t5 bulbs, I can control the intensity and my tank is a bit more white at the front and more blue at the back which is a look I real like.

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 01/17/2018 at 07:31 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 08:58 PM   #360
biecacka
Registered Member

Ron, i agree. if i am running leds then i don't want t5 on my tank because to me that defeats one of the purposes of leds. no bulb replacements.... i would want only led and maybe that means an extra fixture or two and then that would be the path i would take, personally.

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 08:15 AM   #361
Editour2
Frank

Thanks guys.....I personally don't think that the 2 x photon 32 V-2's would be sufficient for my tank inhabitants and I like the addition of the 4 x 80 watt T-5's. I have plenty of shimmer, (maybe that's attributed to the Photons being in the center of my tank with the 2 pairs of T-5's being angled-in on both sides, {I'll post a pic}). 2 of the T-5's basically are only on during peak hours. My 2 actinic T-5's are part of my sunrise and sunset. The LED's are on more hours during the day then all of the T-5's. Anyway, all of this is a learning process so I guess time will tell.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Unread 01/30/2018, 07:55 PM   #362
Editour2
Frank

Here is a pic of my hybrid LED/T5 lighting:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1012398.jpg (38.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg P1012400.jpg (52.1 KB, 77 views)

Unread 02/11/2018, 04:54 PM   #363
110Oceanic
Registered Member

I think the new Photon V2 are simple and sleak. I currently have two photon V1 and am looking to buy 4 more 16" units but can't find them anywhere. Does not seam like anyone wants to sell them. If anyone is upgrading I am interested in buying used 16" photon V1s

110Oceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 02:42 PM   #364
christiantt
Registered Member

I'm running the Photon 16-V2 on a IM Fusion 20 mixed tank... Is there any recommendations for light settings??

christiantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 07:01 AM   #365
christiantt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiantt View Post
I'm running the Photon 16-V2 on a IM Fusion 20 mixed tank... Is there any recommendations for light settings??
Any suggestions?

Unread 09/19/2018, 12:33 PM   #366
percula99
Registered Member

[/QUOTE]

Hi Ron

I like your lighting schedule and will try to work with it. I was using Coral Lab Spectrum and PAR settings recommended by BRS.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/...e_CoralLab.pdf

I was using the SPS AB+ settings on Page 5 with UV, Blue and Royal Blue at 100% and Red, Green and White at 24%. I found after about three weeks I would get a cyano bacteria explosion. I turned the lights off in my reef for three days and the cyano would disappear. Turn the lights back on and three weeks later the cyano is back. I have exhausted all other possibilities and have concluded it is the red and green lights causing the cyano bloom. Your schedule does not have any red or green. Is this issue why you do not run them or is there another reason?

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
percula99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 08:33 AM   #367
Editour2
Frank

I utilize 2 x 32" photon V2+ lights in conjunction with 4 x 80 watt T5's. I use all colors on the photons....peak settings are white 35%, green 25%, red 30%, cool blue 80%, royal blue 80% and violet 65%. I use 2 x ATI coral plus and 2 x ATI blue plus bulbs. I do not have any issues with cyano....but then again I have a refugium, I utilize an algae turf scrubber, I run GFO/GAC reactor and I dose 145ml of vinegar every day. Everybody's water chemistry is different but this works for me.

Unread 09/20/2018, 11:49 AM   #368
percula99
Registered Member

Thanks Frank. Good to know. I used to use an ATS also (water fall type) but came home one night and smelled burnt in my house. It turned out spray had gotten on the light fixture and salt water and electricity are not a good mix, so I discontinued the ATS rather than risking burning down my house. I have a carbon and a phosban reactor (both Two Little Fishies 550) and a very effective skimmer (Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS). I also dose 30 ml/day of NoPox. My NO3 and PO4 levels are both very low even after three days of lights out killing off the cyano. Low levels could have been because the cyano was fuelling it's growth with elevated levels of NO3 and PO4. My problems did start in conjunction with adding the Evergrow IT-5080s which are essentially the same as your Photon V2s if I am not mistaken. Interesting that you ran Red and Green channels at slightly higher ratios than I did with no problem and I keep getting cyano.

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
percula99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 02:02 PM   #369
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by percula99 View Post
Thanks Frank. Good to know. I used to use an ATS also (water fall type) but came home one night and smelled burnt in my house. It turned out spray had gotten on the light fixture and salt water and electricity are not a good mix, so I discontinued the ATS rather than risking burning down my house.
My ATS is enclosed in a clear acrylic box with the lights shining on both sides...thankfully no issues with splashing although I do have saltcreep on them. On another note: I just increased all of the channels on the V2+'s a little so if anything changes or any issues occur I'll post.
BTW I also dose Special Blend every once in a while to boost Reefbacteria etc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Algae Turf Scrubber.jpg (48.8 KB, 35 views)

Unread 09/30/2018, 10:23 PM   #370
Ssteve
Registered Member

I have two lumenbar led supplements for sale if anyone is interested. They were on a 48 but work on the 50 also.

Ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 11:00 AM   #371
justy
Registered Member

Hi thinking of buying an it5060 +
Can anybody tell me if individual led's are not as good as led units that use pucks to blend the light?

Many thanks

justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 02:17 PM   #372
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by justy View Post
Hi thinking of buying an it5060 +
Can anybody tell me if individual led's are not as good as led units that use pucks to blend the light?

Many thanks
These lights have different lenses which act to diffuse/focus the light. The Individual LEDs are spread out more than the pucks you reference, which I believe to be a positive attribute.

Unread 12/10/2018, 09:31 AM   #373
christiantt
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Still running my custom schedule.
Is there any good suggestions for my tank??

Unread 12/10/2018, 11:36 AM   #374
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

christiantt--
depends on what you are looking for.
I run a program close to a 12K look with values high.
Do you want a blue, white or warm look?
Are the corals doing OKwhere you are?

Unread 12/13/2018, 04:01 PM   #375
christiantt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
christiantt--
depends on what you are looking for.
I run a program close to a 12K look with values high.
Do you want a blue, white or warm look?
Are the corals doing OKwhere you are?
I would like a blue'ish look. But not to high in kelvin.
The corals look fine, but would like to increase the growth if it is possible. The values are stable, but would still like more growth