Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Rueda13
Registered Member

Connecting outside line to protein skimmer

I want to bring my pH up, right now it stands at 7.47 tested with Hanna Digital Checker. Pretty sure it is due to the CO2. Before spending money on a CO2 scrubber I want to run a line from the skimmer to the outside. My question is where do I connect the outside line to? The protein skimmer is a aquamaxx HOB 1.5. I am attaching a picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hob1.jpg (43.2 KB, 21 views)
Rueda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 12:35 PM   #2
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Rueda13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
so removing the original yellow tube attached there. What do I do with it? leave if off dangling or remove completely?

Unread 09/13/2018, 12:41 PM   #4
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

I would need to see a close up of the yellow tube

But basically that black line is the air injection line you need to just extend that line
I can’t really see how its connected up top

Make sure to protect the other end from bugs and stuff entering

Unread 09/13/2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Others have tried, some with little success.

Before you go crazy, try running the line out a window first to see if there is any improvement before making it more permanent.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 01:12 PM   #6
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

What kind of setup do you have what are your parameters specifically dkh
Are you dosing anything

Unread 09/13/2018, 01:27 PM   #7
reefinmike
Registered Member

First confirm that you have a high co2 issue by testing a sample, aerate it outside for an hour with an air pump and test again. if the PH jumps up then indoor co2 is your issue. I'm fighting an unbelievably frustrating co2 problem. My skimmer pump is a sicce psk-1000 and pulls a good amount of air- I believe 25scfh and is connected to a 1" PVC pipe leading outside. My 55g sump is half covered in glass and my 90g display about 80%. Before this, my PH was 7.6/7.7. Now the average day It dips to 7.8 at night and peaks at 7.95 on a good day. Water aerated outside rises to 8.2 and on the very rare occasion the weather is nice enough to open a few windows, the tank can get up to 8.15. Excess co2 is being drawn in through the surface water keeping my PH down and has clearly shown to affect coral growth and calcium/alk consumption. I test both daily and log it in apex fusion so the trends are easy to spot. I'm replumbing my system here soon and I will be 100% sealing off the top with glass and drilling bulkheads through and down below the surface water for powerhead wires, feeding ports etc. Another bulkhead will attach to the 1" fresh air intake going outside and my skimmer's air intake will be tied into the emergency drain of my herbie overflow setup. This way the skimmer will be drawing fresh air through the surface of the aquarium which should:
A- expose the turbulent surface water exclusively to fresh outside air
B- Fresh air being fed to the skimmer
C- Should solve any excessive humidity/condensation building up on the glass tops.

Very extreme measures but seemingly the only solution to my low PH. My corals aren't yet growing fast enough to mask the problem with a constant kalk drip and being a newer tank, my cheato isn't really growing at all. Hopefully some day corals and cheato will grow fast enough that I dont need glass tops hermetically sealing the display but that will take even longer if I dont take this drastic step.

Unread 09/13/2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

It's been raining here in the NE so the windows have been shut. This afternoon, it's clear out, so the house is open.

NOAA has reported that Co2 is trending up globally. This could explain why so many are reporting Co2 issues were as years ago we didn't have these issues.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

This is my indoor Co2 levels as compared to my tank pH since 12:00 this am.

The windows were opened after the rain stopped. notice the relation ship between the 2 graphs. Definitely interesting!

I might have to start recording the Co2 data in Fusion so I can overlay the graphs.

Indoor Co2 levels

Tank pH

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Rueda13
Registered Member

attached a picture of the motor, do I attach the outside line there and dispose of the yellow line? I believe it is attached to a silencer maybe (cylinder at top of skimmer).

Alk is high 14 tested with Red Sea.

Not adding any additives.

55gal
fluval C4
Aquamaxx HOB 1.5
2 hydor power heads
2 air stones aerating surface

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hob2.jpg (52.9 KB, 11 views)
Unread 09/13/2018, 05:50 PM   #10
reefinmike
Registered Member

Yes, that yellow line is where the pump draws in air. where it connects up top is a muffler of sorts to quiet the air intake. If you do decide to bring in outside air, I would recommend using a much larger tube like flexible 3/8" silicon, vinyl or even pex tubing to minimize restriction. You can just forgo the air silencer because a long line of tubing does a much better job and wont restrict airflow. moving the air intake outside cut my skimmers noise in half.

However, that air line is tiny and the pump likely pulls an equally tiny amount of air so I wouldn't expect a big ph jump. unless your air pump is drawing outside air, the air stones will just negate any difference the skimmer makes. Besides air stones dont really belong in a saltwater tank, they create a lot of salt creep. Lastly if you don't have tight fitting glass tops you will be fighting a losing battle.