Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2017, 03:49 PM   #1
imclownfish
Registered Member

Quick question about cipro protocol

I've read the stickied thread and a few other threads as well about treating nem's with cipro and I just wanted to clarify one thing. If I am changing 50% ff the treatment tank water every night, do i add 125mg of cipro or 250mg? Im confused because I've seen both numbers show up in threads and I just want to be sure. Thanks

imclownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 04:15 PM   #2
taylor t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imclownfish View Post
I am changing 50% ff the treatment tank water every night,
IMO, anything less than 100% changes everyday is not enough. Good luck.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 05:02 PM   #3
imclownfish
Registered Member

Interesting, thanks for your input. Do ypu mind me asking why you think it is necessary for full water turnover? Is it just to ensure water quality?

Unread 05/22/2017, 06:08 PM   #4
taylor t
Registered Member

I'm sorry, my first reply was incomplete. Multitasking...
Yes, to ensure water quality, fresh water made should have the same values of minerals etc. at xyz amount at 24 hour period, stability is key. 100% daily changes are best to help eliminate waste and purging any discharge we can't see during the first few days until they remain inflated all the time. As a general guideline, 100% should be changed. Once experience at rehabbing them applies, that can change depending on the victim too.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 05:20 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

I tried to change 50% of the water before, it is less successful for sure. Several reasons
1. water quality
2. removal of pathogen. When you remove essentially 100% of the water, you remove essential 100% of the pathogen
3. we do not know for sure how much Cipro was degraded by the light, full redosing is advised
When I first tried treatment, I used 50% water change and then try 100%. 100% was better for sure.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 07:39 PM   #6
imclownfish
Registered Member

That makes sense, thanks to both for clearing that up, it is much appreciated! Now just to wait for the nem to arrive...