Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2017, 01:25 PM   #1
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

White spots on glass = snail eggs?

I was looking at my tank after coming home from a weekend of camping, and noticed that there were these white spheres in large groups around my tank. Does anyone have any idea what they are? I don't think that they would be fish eggs. Here's a pic. It looks like there are 6-7 spots of them on the glass.

On the other hand, I recently upgraded my lights to a HO T5 fixture. I added a little bit of phytoplankton about a week ago, and now there is this green stuff growing on the top of the water, and is also spreading to the glass. Whenever I stick my hand in the tank to direct feed corals, it gets all over my hand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.4 KB, 57 views)
ChameleonNYSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 05:55 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Do you have any of those larger Tongan Nassarius snails in your tank? If so, I believe that's where these eggs came from.

That green stuff your seeing might just be a Phytoplankton bloom. Unsightly yes, but completely harmless as far as I know.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 09:20 PM   #3
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that I have some Nassarius snails in my tank, so that would make sense.

What is the best way to combat this phytoplankton bloom? Today it has made the tank unviewable until I scraped the glass.

Unread 06/01/2017, 02:51 PM   #4
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

I am not sure exactly which type of snail they are yet, but there are many small white specs on the glass that resemble snail shells. Some are decently large right now, considering they just hatched. Will provide picture later.

If I scrape the glass with these guys on it, chances are that they will die die to a cracked shell?

Unread 06/05/2017, 04:04 PM   #5
ChameleonNYSea
Registered Member

I think that these guys may be sporbid worms. They look like normal snail shells, but I'm pretty sure I saw a small feather duster crown sticking out of the top of it.

Tags
breeding, eggs, green algae, snail eggs