Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2016, 06:39 PM   #1
slief
RC Sponsor

My new Mitra LX7 just arrived! Loving it so far!

My Mitra LX7 just arrived. It didn't take me long to swap out my 6200 and get the LX7 setup in it's place over one of my tanks that is connected to my main system. Loving the light so far. I need to spend some time playing with it and getting familiar with the new channels. I'm currently using my Mitra 6200 programming on it which was based on a 21,000k project. I haven't turned on the new UV channels yet but I will play with that later if not tomorrow. I will update as soon as I have it all dialed in to my liking and follow up with a video covering the new lights features and setup.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 10/19/2016 at 06:44 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Jerel
Registered Member

Looking forward to your upcoming videos regarding the LX7 pendant.

Unread 10/28/2016, 10:01 PM   #3
Marco@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Scott has been busy filling his frag-tank with large amounts of euphyllia... please forgive his tardiness to provide the promised video :P

Marco@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 10:08 PM   #4
h3dgehog
Registered Member

Would love to see how these do with sps. Making switch to these would be much easier if there was pretty good documentation of someone having success with sps tank.

I don't want all my sps to die or brown out if I were to ever make the switch :/

Unread 11/03/2016, 12:01 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3dgehog View Post
Would love to see how these do with sps. Making switch to these would be much easier if there was pretty good documentation of someone having success with sps tank.

I don't want all my sps to die or brown out if I were to ever make the switch :/
I've seen a number of great SPS tanks with Mitras. If you join the GHL facebook group, one of our members, Jan has posted some great pictures of his SPS tanks running Mitras! One thing about the Mitras is the 9 seperate channels of color control. You can bring out colors in your SPS that you would otherwise not even see. I got some Strawberry Shortcake SPS. I put a huge colony in my main display which is illuminated with Kessils. I placed some frags from it in my other tank that is illuminated with the Mitras LX7 and the color differences between the same coral under different lights is shocking! The Mitras bring out the colors like I've never seen. Check back a bit later today and I will post some comparative photos. I should be home in about an hour and will get some pictures. The difference is so shocking that I am now seriously thinking about switching my Kessils out on my 480G main display for the Mitras 7206's. These lights are pretty damn amazing and everything I have put under the Mitras have responded very well!

Here is the GHL Facebook group in case you want to join it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GHLOwners/

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 11/03/2016, 09:10 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

I took some pictures tonight. These were all taken with my iPhone 7 Plus. It has a remarkably good camera that gives a real good true to life picture. No filters used.. The first is one of a large strawberry shortcake acro colony in my main display under my Kessil 360WE's. I post this because it shows the colors of this coral under the Kessils. I will note that this coral is a bit whiter in real life as this was taken through the viewing pane. Between this picture and the ones that follow, you will understand why I really want to change the lighting on my main display. These Mitras are amazing!

These two are Strawberry Shortcake frags. The tiny one of the left was an accidental frag from the colony above that I broke yesterday and placed in the frag tank under the LX7. The color difference under the two lights is nothing short of shocking. The bigger one looks just as nice and is encrusting the frag plug pretty quickly. The following shots were taken from a coral viewer looking through the surface of the water and these colors are about what I see when I look at them.

Scoly under the LX7

I forgot what this coral is (I wish I remember). I got it about a month ago. Since putting it under the Mitras, its spread to cover nearly the entire frag plug but and the colors completely changed from blue and a bit of yellow to this crazy rainbow color. I am absolutely in awe with how this coral has colored up under the Mitras and how fast it's encrusting the frag plug.

Next up, my branching hammer frags. These things look amazing under the Mitras and they are opening like never before. Completely different than what they look like under Kessils where these hammer corals were grown over the last couple years. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with these Mitras and how the corals have responded to them. Not only are they happy as can be but I'm seeing colors I've never seen before.

I've been pretty careful not to over do it with intensity and I used spectral charts from Advanced Aquarist that shows the peak spectral curve for photosynthesis in corals to come up with my present mix. My project is loosely based on a 21,000k setting which I then modified with a peak between 420 and 460nm. Given that we know what nm diode is at each channel, it made it somewhat easy for me to come up with a lighting mix that provides a good light curve for coral growth with a bit of UV, Red and Green to help bring out colors. I have the UV diodes set low but the rest of the diodes are adjusted such that I have what I believe to be a good light curve to not only provide good coloration but also provide the needed spectrum for great coral growth. Bare in mind that I've been using LED's for the last 6.5 years and am very comfortable with LED's in general. I've got a 12 hour photo period with only 4 hours at peak intensity which is well below 100% on the highest channel. The rest of the photo period is a nice ramp up and ramp down.

Some other random shots of corals under the Mitras. All true to life color under them without any editing.

Last edited by slief; 11/03/2016 at 09:47 PM.
Unread 11/03/2016, 09:39 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

And a couple of the entire frag tank.

Last edited by slief; 11/03/2016 at 09:46 PM.
Unread 11/04/2016, 06:52 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Damn. Photobucket is still down for "maintenance"! Hopefully they are back up soon so the pictures show.

Unread 11/07/2016, 08:55 AM   #9
d2mini
Registered Member

Pics are working now!
Looks great, Scott. I need one of these over my nano!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 02:18 AM   #10
cecilturtle
Premium Member

Nice tank Slief. I just received my LX7's and to say I am amazed at the build and sexiness of these lights is an understatement. Pictures just don't do them justice. My only complaint so far has been instruction wise. I admit flat out that the flex mount kicked my butt. I think I could have finished three NY Times crossword puzzles in less time. Could have helped a bit if I looked at both sides of the long bar and saw the threads, or got my wife to help hold one of the bolts while I set the height.

cecilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 07:56 PM   #11
foxt
Registered Member

Scott - thanks for this thread. I have 3 6200HV's, and am wondering if you considered just upgrading your 6200's to LX7? The upgrade of the leds will only be $180 for each unit, vs $750 for a new light. In my case, that's about $600 for the upgrade vs. $2250 for new lights. That's pretty significant.

Aside from the wireless upgrade (which I already have via the PLM-PWC), as I understand it the other difference is the power balancing technology. I get the potential benefit of that, although I don't really know if it is worth the difference in price.

Since you just went through this, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Did you consider the upgrade, and if so, what drive you to buy new units?

foxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 12:13 PM   #12
Editour2
Frank

I don't believe that you can upgrade the 6200 series with the 7200..... you can only upgrade within the series IE: 7200 freshwater to 7206 marine. From a reef builders review: ....you can swap out the lighting clusters so if you start out with the LX 7200 and want to upgrade to the LX 7206, its as easy as swapping the LED modules. This also helps with other improvements they company issues in the future. While this sounds great in theory, there are limits as owners of the previous family of GHL Mitras LX 6 lights will find as the LX 7 LED modules are not comparable.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 03:31 PM   #13
Vinny@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Current LX6 owners have the option to upgrade their LED clusters to the same LED configuration found on the LX7206. This is easily accomplished by swapping the existing LED clusters for the Mitras LX 6300 LED clusters and setting their fixture to operate as an LX 6300.

LX 6300 will therefore have the same LED layout found on the LX 7206.

Vinny@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 10:09 PM   #14
foxt
Registered Member

Thanks for confirming that Vinny. I suspect that the upgrade option was not available when Scott made his decision, since GHL only recently made this an option. I'm considering it, since it makes it a little less expensive to get the new LEDS, and I hate the idea of buying new ones if I can get most of the benefit through the upgrade ...

foxt is offline   Reply With Quote