Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2010, 09:51 AM   #26
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

anyone have a pic of what a stunted emperor looks like?

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Korrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 01:21 PM   #27
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

thanks for the info-and help, any specific experiences with mushrooms and ricordea mushrooms ? in regards to the emperor within a RT ?

Tourpicks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 01:37 PM   #28
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

my imp could care less about Discosoma spp. in my aquarium.

I imagine it would be the same for Ricordea spp.- especially since they're very toxic.

my "New Canvas" reef aquarium

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors

Last edited by Gary Majchrzak; 12/23/2010 at 01:46 PM.
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 01:51 PM   #29
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrine View Post
anyone have a pic of what a stunted emperor looks like?
IME many people that own one do not realize their fish is stunted.

If they are aware, it's also my experience that people don't like to show off stunted fish

Fenner gives some good advice regarding Emperor Angelfish. This isn't a beginner's species.

Unread 12/24/2010, 02:43 AM   #30
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

They had one on DD last night!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...-_-DDN-_-PRDCT

5.5" adult for $170 and sold very quickly.

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Unread 12/24/2010, 09:23 AM   #31
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
IME many people that own one do not realize their fish is stunted.

If they are aware, it's also my experience that people don't like to show off stunted fish

Fenner gives some good advice regarding Emperor Angelfish. This isn't a beginner's species.
Seems a lot of RC people have all kinds of pics saved for whatever reason. Figured one might have a stunted Emperor.

by the way, I love Bob Fenner and am a huge fan of Wetwebmedia!

Unread 12/24/2010, 05:00 PM   #32
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

what are those bright neon green corals in the tank ? i assume they might be SPS- perhaps neon green acro stag ? or cup/plate corals but how did u get such amazing green neon corals, also what is that coral that looks like neon bright green grass ?
thanks

Unread 12/24/2010, 06:34 PM   #33
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrine View Post
They had one on DD last night!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...-_-DDN-_-PRDCT

5.5" adult for $170 and sold very quickly.

My changing Emperor "Nate" not sure how long "Nate" has been changing as i purchased this fish which is a bit less than 4" a good month ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (72.5 KB, 48 views)
Unread 12/24/2010, 06:35 PM   #34
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

how come my photos are links rather than pictures like the photos from above, sorry i'm new

Unread 12/25/2010, 12:16 AM   #35
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

to gary : what is that beautiful neon grassy looking coral on the bottom left of your tank ? wonderful tank!

Unread 12/25/2010, 03:15 AM   #36
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

my changing emperor "Nate"

a photo of Nate my emperor angelifish changing so far around 5 weeks and hes behaving but being very well fed. a very nice variety of dry frozen prepared foods and Nori.

Unread 12/25/2010, 08:43 AM   #37
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Merry Christmas everyone

I'll reply to more questions in greater detail later (it's Christmas) but Nate- you have a nice Emperor. It's very important at this point in time to keep it well fed with good foods. Keep the water quality up, too. This is important in order for your fish to develop to it's fullest potential.

The bright neon green corals are called "green star polyps" (or GSP's for short) in the reefkeeping hobby. They encrust rockwork and are very easy to maintain. There are several similar looking species and the type that I have is probably the brightest green. (I have others that are less brilliant.)
I'm glad you liked the video.

Korrine- don't purchase an Emperor until you're fully ready. They aren't "rare" by any means. It's most important to prepare for one beforehand- avoid impulse purchases

Unread 12/25/2010, 03:38 PM   #38
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

thanks happy holidays! im Joyce the emperor fish is called "nate" lol thanks

Unread 12/25/2010, 07:50 PM   #39
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

sorry, Joyce! (And Nate)

Unread 12/26/2010, 10:11 AM   #40
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
Korrine- don't purchase an Emperor until you're fully ready. They aren't "rare" by any means. It's most important to prepare for one beforehand- avoid impulse purchases
haha ya I know. I did a couple impulse purchases shortly after I started the hobby and my yellow clown goby went white and died and my Arabian Dottybock started hunting all my shrimps!!! I don't even have a tank set up after the house move yet. Want to have a 180 or 210 in the basement family room some day. Right now I'm like a sponge trying to soak it all up

I have a peaceful reef planned for my upcoming 75(with a 75g sump to boot!) anyway.

Unread 12/26/2010, 11:15 AM   #41
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

This guy had a Emperor in his tank. Was sooo beautiful. Unfortunately, it doesn't show in any of his pics on this page.

I'll try to remember what I saw in his tank when I was there: he had all kinds of sps, an anemone (rbta, I think), soft corals. I can't remember any lps. He had a beautiful tank. Been well over a year since I've seen it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...098961&page=14

edit...I see Dec 2008 pic has the Emporer swimming around. When I was there it always stayed under the rock structure on the right. It was very open under there.

Last edited by Korrine; 12/26/2010 at 11:34 AM.
Unread 01/01/2011, 03:21 AM   #42
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

after 6 weeks or so "Nate" my emperor angelfish, hasn't nipped eating or bothered any corals, he nipps and the LR and the sponge growth on them and is changing nicely- not sure how long until he turns into an adult as i purchased his when he was starting to change, but the colors are very vibrant and he looks very healthy to me. I feed him well and a variety of diet-Nori every day for him and the tangs 1 sheet,and 3-5x a week frozen prepared foods with garlic and zoe and vitamin C.

I just purchased a 4 inch ball sponge -red so far he has not nipped at it or touched it he swam by it a few times but he leaves it alone, when i get in a tree sponge that will be the ultimate test, i think i trained him to eat his diet i care for him and watch him all the time and feed him alot and my tank is very established with tons of caves and LR with so many growths on the LR sponges crustacians etc.. feather dusters coraline algae.
I have many LPS corals he hasn't bothered them, and the only SPS corals I have i nthis tank are Montiporas (encursted) and various colors- which he leaves alone for the most part. even the purple sponge and red and orange sponge on the large rock filled with ricordea florida corals he hasn't nipped at. so "nate" is a good boy or girl lol.

now when "nate" become an adult might be a different story and thats why you have to be prepared as if he acts up with all my aussie LPS corals he will go straight to the 240 FOWLR tank and enjoy his time with a bit more aggresive fish.

for now my tank list is
150 gallon RT
Nate-emperor angelfish
2 mating clowns 3.5" female 1.5" male (the odd couple)
3 yellow tangs
1 powder blue tang
1 tuxedo damselfish

Unread 01/01/2011, 05:34 AM   #43
180+55reef
Registered Member

so I have an emperor angle in my 180 gallons mostly LPS tank
this is what I have found, he will pick at unhealthy/dieing stuff

he will eat
acans
most zoos
doesnt bother rics, or torch or shrooms.......

180+55reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2011, 06:16 PM   #44
Tourpicks1
Registered Member

my emperor got popeye in his left eye

my emperor has on his left eye popeye i posted all the info in the desease section but no1 responded yet i dont know what to do- im affraid taking him out and medicating him with medicine that i dont have would cause more stress. so ill do some whater changes and hope for the best.
before my emperor changing got popeye on his left eye he didint touch any zoos or mushrooms or closed brains.

Unread 01/02/2011, 07:25 PM   #45
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

IME "popeye" can easily be reversed with good diet and excellent water conditions. Eliminate any stressors.

Unread 01/02/2011, 09:30 PM   #46
michael_in_nc
Registered Member

I have an emperor angel, I bought it as a juv that was changing. I've had him for about 1.5 -2 yrs. He's in *way* too small of a tank now, but I am upgrading to a 210G (build is just starting). I'd like to go back to reef (he's the only fish in the tank now), but I'm afraid he might be too aggressive and significantly restrict my coral possibilities. I have been considering taking him back to the LFS for credit but would love to keep him in the new tank. I have thought about a QT for awhile, then moving him to the new tank after adding some other inhabitants first?

Any advice?

michael_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2011, 07:10 PM   #47
Dee12Dee12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD View Post
My emp is in a 210. I don't have corals in that tank at this time. I QT'd him in a 55 gallon reef several years ago when I first got him. (Lets you know where the corals come in on my priority list. ) As a changing subadult, the emp ate every single zoanthid in the tank - probably well over 200 polyps. It didn't bother any leathers, Turbinaria, gorgonian or mushrooms. (The dogface puffer ate all the mushrooms.)

Gary, your tank is gorgeous! Do you still have that set-up? In your opinion, is your emp okay in that tank for life? Not to hijack, but if you still have that tank going, what are the tankmates with Junior? I'd be willing to devote my 210 almost exclusively to my emperor (Elvis).

Here are a couple old pics (sorry, I'm no photographer):

Elvis Is the building. My 210 is up and running and I cant wait to get an emp.

Dee12Dee12 is offline   Reply With Quote