Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2014, 08:36 PM   #1
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Zoas on barebottom ideas

Just wanted some opinions on an idea I have. My original plan was to cover my barebottom tank with zoas. Was waiting for the bottom to gt some coralline growth so the glue would hold a bit better but what about using the square frag tiles? Anyone ever tried just lining the bottom with frag tiles and letting the zoas grow on that? At least if it didn't look as good as I thought it would I could just pull the tiles out instead of razoring zoas off the glass. My main concern would be detritus building up under and inbetween the tiles.

enchelycore808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2014, 08:52 PM   #2
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Detritus isn't as bad as many would think. Of course too much detritus wouldn't be good for any system in the long run, but any system will have some detritus here and there. I syphon detritus as much as I can and I also vacuum my thin sand layer. You could aways do that.

If you're worried about detritus between/under the tiles you could silicone them together side by side and place them on the bottom of the tank as a "rug". You will still have some minor detritus/denitrification environment under the "rug". Not a big deal!

Some people use cutting boards for that purpose, so the tiles would be similar, but less work. That would work for you.

If you want to place the tiles as they are, loosely, you would be able to change them around and remove sections to dip in case you've got problems with bacterial infections and such. If you want to use tiles, then that actually would be the best way to go!!! Simply place the tiles on the bottom of the tank and syphon detritus between them when you do water changes...

It's up to you. Have a good time and enjoy your project!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2014, 08:59 PM   #3
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Being able to remove as needed to frag or to treat is a definite plus. Cutting Board is out of the question as I had to fall in love with the fluval edge. It's a very attractive tank don't get me wrong, but decorating the tank or just basically doing anything in tank is a NIGHTMARE! The opening you work with is only 4x7" so yea... Cool man I give the tiles a try and post a pic when I get it done.

Unread 06/05/2014, 09:18 PM   #4
A. Grandis
Registered Member

If you have a chance and find hexagonal tiles you'll probably have a better way to group them together while changing their positions in the tank. It's just better than the square ones.
Have fun!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Da Maui life
Registered Member

I cut down some travertine squares 1.5x1.5 easily moved if need be, as they grow out.

Last edited by Da Maui life; 06/06/2014 at 03:56 PM.
Da Maui life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Mael
Registered Member

I hate tile frag plugs for use in a DT, but man are they nice for a frag or prop tank. And if your going to get into making a carpet of zoas or decent size frag/prop tank then cut tiles like Da Maui Life has are the cheapest and best method.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2014, 12:40 PM   #7
SantaMonica
Registered Member

The tiles are a genius idea for lining the bottom. Just lift them out if needed

As for detritus, it will be the same amount with or without tiles. If your CUC is enough, however, they will break it up as fast as it settles.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2014, 03:48 PM   #8
NavyBlueSea
Registered Member

Tiles are a great idea. I had cutting board cut to fit the bottom and it did have detritus built up underneath. Being able to move the tiles around would really help in keeping things a little cleaner and to do treatments or if you wanted to change part of the carpet to a different zoa or color.

NavyBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2014, 03:56 PM   #9
nickg
Registered Member

I've seen a couple let them take over the bottom and it looks like turf..

nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 07:22 PM   #10
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Alright just thought I'd update this thread. I FINALLY got off my procrastinating butt and did it with frag tiles. Looks a little strange now but I have to think of the long run. Now I gotta save money for a ton of zoas and Rics lol!

Unread 10/19/2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Coelli
Registered Member

I think it looks really cool actually, like a plaza. Makes me want to do that and add GSP so it looks like a lawn

Coelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 07:47 AM   #12
discoreefer
Registered Member

Those tiles look pretty cool. Is that something you get a home depot or does someone sell them online?

discoreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 12:27 PM   #13
m0nkie
Registered Member

awesome idea! I'm currently running tiles with GSP. going to cover my coast to coast overflow with GSP turf

Unread 10/22/2014, 05:44 PM   #14
Jack5746
Registered Member

I am using white ceramic floor tiles to cover the bottom of my 400 gallon plywood tank. I thought that they might protect the bottom in case any rocks fell. Don't want to take a chance of puncturing the rubberize-it and epoxy membrane. Then I also use six inch tumbled stones to glue my zoa's on so they should be easier to propagate.

Jack5746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 07:02 PM   #15
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Using the ocean wonders and this bulk brand one. Shoulda went with all ocean wonders because they were very uniform in size and it better. I have GSP down the left side of the tank. Had to scrape it all off the glass and regular them to the tiles.