Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2017, 11:53 PM   #3676
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
I have 3 leopard wrasses in my 75. The smallest is a male.

I have had other leopard wrasses and other wrasses jump. They all seem to do it in the late evening when the lights are going down. I use moonlights.

I'm have a rimless tank and I was hesitant to put the cover on it but now I'm going to have to.

That's 5 jumpers this year. Leopard wrasse, coris wrasse, 2 red flasher wrasses, flame angel.

Took me too long to learn my lesson
Did you really allow five extremely delicate known jumpers to jump out of your tank? It sounds like you researched, but just didn't feel like covering tank?

Unread 08/03/2017, 12:57 AM   #3677
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oseymour View Post
I have 3 leopard wrasses in my 75. The smallest is a male.

I have had other leopard wrasses and other wrasses jump. They all seem to do it in the late evening when the lights are going down. I use moonlights.

I'm have a rimless tank and I was hesitant to put the cover on it but now I'm going to have to.

That's 5 jumpers this year. Leopard wrasse, coris wrasse, 2 red flasher wrasses, flame angel.

Took me too long to learn my lesson

Ouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 06:19 PM   #3678
pfan151
Registered Member

Just got a choati in from live aquaria. It got bumped off the plane so it arrived late. It was supposed to be one day late but I managed to go to the local UPS hub and just wait until the delayed truck arrived and maged to get it around 7pm. I opened the box and it was still alive but looked rough. Got it in my established 40 breeder qt (bare bottom with a large tub of sand in one half) and it just kind of drifted to the bottom and looked pretty listless. After about 30 mins I got restless and picked it up and held it over the sand. It then buried itself. Today when I got home from work I assumed it would be dead but it was actually swimming around at looked perfect. Ate some gut loaded live brine.

Question now is what to treat with for parasites? I've heard mixed reports with prazi on them. Is metro safer?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 11:57 PM   #3679
pfan151
Registered Member

Anyone keeping a Moyeri? Thinking of adding one with my Choati.

Unread 01/26/2018, 09:44 AM   #3680
eastlake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Eastlake
Are your wrasses mature? Male and females? Mine are just females. It is possible that during spawn/courtship they may swim up to release eggs and sperms and thus jump out of the tank. Leopard wrasse is one species I have not observe spawning behavior in my tank.
I know this is an old post in this thread but I figured I'd let you folks know that I found my meleagris in the overflow again and promptly returned her to the main tank. You were right OrionN, in this instance it was due to spawning rises. Within about twenty seconds of putting her back into the display her and the male potters were back to doing spawning rises, which I guess would explain the potters' strage coloration and racing around the tank lol.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 10:26 AM   #3681
oldhead
Registered Member

After reading through a lot of this thread, how do you not quarantine when salinity at the lfs is 1.019 and your display is 1.026. Wouldn't that rise be too much too fast?

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:44 PM   #3682
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
After reading through a lot of this thread, how do you not quarantine when salinity at the lfs is 1.019 and your display is 1.026. Wouldn't that rise be too much too fast?

If the salinity is that different then do a slow acclimation. Once you match the store salinity with your quarantine system then put them in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 09:23 PM   #3683
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have tight fitting screens on my main display. Not so much for the leopards, but fir my anthias and flasher wrasses. Both highly motivated to escape the tank. I remain on my multi year 'mission' to keep one of all the varied leopard species. I have multiple Meleagris (including one spectacular male), a Bipartitus, black, ornate and jeweled (Lapillus). In a move that I now regret, I rehomed my large potters male. Idiot! Eyeing a moyers at LFS. Haven't seen a vivienae in years, and choati remains elusive too. I think that's all of them.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 06:21 AM   #3684
tenurepro
Registered Member

My ornate leopard wrasse jumped a couple of weeks ago. I found him a day later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 09:49 PM   #3685
Cancun
Registered Member

Hi! I have read through this thread several times. I like love it! I thought I would share a pic...I have a melegris....a blue star...a ornate...had them all for over a year...all bought at my LFS...dripped about 40 min or so...and added straight to my display tank. All ate frozen at the LFS....and when I brought them home.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL

Last edited by Cancun; 02/20/2018 at 09:56 PM.
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 09:53 PM   #3686
Cancun
Registered Member

I am also hoping @iamwrasseman or someone else can chime in....I added a Moyer's leopard Wrasse two weeks ago....got him from my LFS...he had him in his coral tank for a month... eatting frozen. I haven't been able to get a pic yet....I haven't seen much info on that type of Leopard...I dripped him for 40 min and added him right to my display. If anyone has info about the Moyer's please share... They look similar to a Kuiters leopard. Oh yeah I feed all my leopards Mysis

Last edited by Cancun; 02/20/2018 at 10:00 PM.
Unread 02/20/2018, 10:48 PM   #3687
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
I am also hoping @iamwrasseman or someone else can chime in....I added a Moyer's leopard Wrasse two weeks ago....got him from my LFS...he had him in his coral tank for a month... eatting frozen. I haven't been able to get a pic yet....I haven't seen much info on that type of Leopard...I dripped him for 40 min and added him right to my display. If anyone has info about the Moyer's please share... They look similar to a Kuiters leopard. Oh yeah I feed all my leopards Mysis

I’ve had one for a while. Bought online. I’m hoping it will look better when it turns male. Kind of boring looking now for the price.

Unread 02/20/2018, 10:55 PM   #3688
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I’ve had one for a while. Bought online. I’m hoping it will look better when it turns male. Kind of boring looking now for the price.
Yea.... mine too.... not cheap that's for sure! Hoping he does well....how are they compared to other leopards?

Unread 02/21/2018, 07:19 AM   #3689
eatbreakfast
Registered Member

Moyer's leopards are in the same complex of species as kuiters and vivians. So they get slightly bigger and can be aggressive to other leopards as they mature.

Current tank DB 80g rimless
Wrasse and SPS dominant
eatbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 07:42 PM   #3690
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

purchase size and success rate

Does purchase size have anything to do with success with leopards? I am one for three on keeping M. meleagris alive for more than one week in QT. All three were from Live Aquaria and less than 1.5 inches. Would I be better off getting a larger female, or is it just bad luck on the two I lost? The one doing well is still only eating live, but I am working on frozen foods with it.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 09:04 PM   #3691
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ordner View Post
Does purchase size have anything to do with success with leopards? I am one for three on keeping M. meleagris alive for more than one week in QT. All three were from Live Aquaria and less than 1.5 inches. Would I be better off getting a larger female, or is it just bad luck on the two I lost? The one doing well is still only eating live, but I am working on frozen foods with it.
I got 4 tiny female meleagris leopards. They were the smallest I have ever seen. One was about 1", the other 3 are 3/4".
I've had them in my 240 for a couple months.
One may not make it. I hardly see all four at the same time. Mostly it's just 3.

Unread 02/21/2018, 10:04 PM   #3692
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
How is the QT set up?

Unread 02/22/2018, 08:09 AM   #3693
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
How is the QT set up?
QT that I had them in had fine sand from Padre Island and I use natural seawater. They would burrow into the sand each night. I would do a 95% water change every two days. Since I was down to one wrasse, I have moved him over to a permanent QT tank that has a yellow tail tamarin yesterday. The leopard and yellow tail are both out this morning looking good.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:21 AM   #3694
Sgchick
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1519391858

Super happy with my first wrasse. She dove to sand as soon as I added to my tank, but was out 5 hours later. Didn't eat right away, but out for longer each day and very actively picking on the rocks and starting to eat some mysis.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0475.jpg (74.7 KB, 37 views)
Sgchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 01:07 PM   #3695
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi! When I bought my melegris from my LFS he was one of the smallest leopard I have seen....may a tad larger than a 1/2 inch when I got him. I was a bit nervous because of his size...but he has done great. I don't quarantine leopards. Some might disagree....I only buy them from my LFS if they had them for a few weeks and are eating frozen. The two LFS I frequent keep all of their leopards in their coral tanks....so the salinity matches my tank. I drip them for about 40 minutes...then put them in my display tank. One thought is...what is your salinity in your QT tank? I know LA ships fish at low salinity....

Unread 02/23/2018, 01:13 PM   #3696
Cancun
Registered Member

Oh here is a pic of my Moyers leopard...he is doing well so far....eats seaweed off the grazers....and loves frozen Mysis....oh and thanks for the info. I had trouble finding any info online about a Moyers...my LFS had him for a month...he was eating frozen like a champ..sorry about the pic quality...lol...

Unread 02/23/2018, 01:14 PM   #3697
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgchick View Post
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1519391858

Super happy with my first wrasse. She dove to sand as soon as I added to my tank, but was out 5 hours later. Didn't eat right away, but out for longer each day and very actively picking on the rocks and starting to eat some mysis.
Nice pic... beautiful blue star!!!

Unread 02/26/2018, 03:20 PM   #3698
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So I've been reading through some of this thread, as I'm very interested in picking up a couple of leopard wrasses. After 148 pages though, I'm a bit lost on everything, so if y'all don't mind me asking a few questions:

1. Future stock list - 2 clowns, royal gramma, mandarin (after 1 year), firefish, yellow tang, tomini tang (tangs going in last). Maybe a foxface one day and a goby. Any issues for stocking these along with the leopard wrasses?

2. Looks like multiple wrasses are fine esp if added together. Should these be a 6 month to a year purchase (like a mandarin) to ensure established micro fauna?

3. I have a 150 gallon DT with a Ruby 36 Sump (~35 gal) which includes a refugium. Would two to three wrasses be too much based on stock list above?

4. I was planning about a 2" sand bed, but would a 3" bed be sufficient without going too deep on sand? I'm not sure what the minimum recommendation is here and what is optimal.

5. Quarantine - I imagine this is the most opinionated question based on what I've seen as some of you don't QT this fish due to their hardiness (similar to a mandarin if I understand on that front). Would it be advisable though to have a QT (20 gallon long), cycled with sand bed, either on the bottom or via a container of sand in order to QT these to acclimate over time and establish feeding? I'm guessing TTM isn't worth it due to stress on the fish, lack of sand, and they don't seem to be prone to ich, but internal parasites if anything. I have concerns more so with received SG from a LFS or online store if I'm running at 1.025 or 1.026. My local LFS was at 1.016 the other day. Does anyone have a thread or pics where they used a QT with sand?

Thanks everyone!

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 11:59 PM   #3699
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
So I've been reading through some of this thread, as I'm very interested in picking up a couple of leopard wrasses. After 148 pages though, I'm a bit lost on everything, so if y'all don't mind me asking a few questions:

1. Future stock list - 2 clowns, royal gramma, mandarin (after 1 year), firefish, yellow tang, tomini tang (tangs going in last). Maybe a foxface one day and a goby. Any issues for stocking these along with the leopard wrasses?

2. Looks like multiple wrasses are fine esp if added together. Should these be a 6 month to a year purchase (like a mandarin) to ensure established micro fauna?

3. I have a 150 gallon DT with a Ruby 36 Sump (~35 gal) which includes a refugium. Would two to three wrasses be too much based on stock list above?

4. I was planning about a 2" sand bed, but would a 3" bed be sufficient without going too deep on sand? I'm not sure what the minimum recommendation is here and what is optimal.

5. Quarantine - I imagine this is the most opinionated question based on what I've seen as some of you don't QT this fish due to their hardiness (similar to a mandarin if I understand on that front). Would it be advisable though to have a QT (20 gallon long), cycled with sand bed, either on the bottom or via a container of sand in order to QT these to acclimate over time and establish feeding? I'm guessing TTM isn't worth it due to stress on the fish, lack of sand, and they don't seem to be prone to ich, but internal parasites if anything. I have concerns more so with received SG from a LFS or online store if I'm running at 1.025 or 1.026. My local LFS was at 1.016 the other day. Does anyone have a thread or pics where they used a QT with sand?

Thanks everyone!

Answer: In your size tank that stock list sounds ok....I had one blood orange clown that was really agressive to my leopards...so I traded him in at the LFS....so I have no clowns...and no plans to get any....all though my husband likes clowns...but since it is my tank and I take care of it...I won...he he....

Answer: Yes...I have 4 of them...blue star...Moyers...Ornate...and a Melegris...my tank was 2 years old before I got a Leopard. A year or even be 6 months should be good.

Answer: No...you should be ok...

Answer: 2-3 inch sand bed will be fine...I would not go less than 2 inches...

Answer: I have never QT my leopards....but I bought all of mine from 2 different LFS....all of their leopards are put into their coral tanks at 1.025 salinity....so that matches my tank...I leave them at the LFS for a minimum of a week usually two weeks to make sure they are eating frozen Mysis...then I take them home. I do a 40 min drip...and into the tank...keep in mind leopards are not an easy fish....it is important to make sure the Leopard looks healthy...no damage to the mouth or body...and that it is eatting at the store. Also.... leopards don't handle stress....so they do best in a peaceful tank...with other peaceful fish. This is just my experience and what works for me. If you have any more questions let me know.

About the QT.... maybe others that have QT their Leopards will chime in. Hope this helps! By the way Leopards be are one of the best fish out there. You will enjoy them in your tank!

Here is some pics of mine....

Unread 02/27/2018, 03:08 AM   #3700
makers marc
Registered Member

I just want to find a potters leopard for sale. Anyone buy from dreamaquatic.com before?

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote