Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2017, 04:39 PM   #51
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I have owned my MP60s for almost 3 years now and have cleaned them all of one time. Everyone has different experiences, you have already made up your mind that you are against Ecotech for one reason or another no matter what anyone else's experiences/opinions are. You keep mentioning social media like that is the BBB or something... there are plenty of untruths on all social media.
I'm not against anything. I like Vortech, I just don't like their reliability. Same reason I don't use Gyres anymore. That and the noise.

Also, you're being unfair with the social media comment. I only discussed it once in response to another comment. My reasons for switching are based solely on personal experience.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 04:51 PM   #52
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
I've had Tunzes and have to disagree. Cleaning the Tunze motor block shroud is difficult and hard to access. The Vortech MP60qd disassembles quite nicely for a full clean.

Routine maintenance goes a long way in a successful reef. It benefits an aquarium when maintenance is easy and not burdensome. Cleaning Tunze pumps became my most hated chore, by far.
Maybe you're right. Maybe I'll learn to hate cleaning them, too. But, let's be honest. Do you really need to clean your pumps every month?

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 12/01/2017, 07:33 PM   #53
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Returning to the original question posed ..... have you bought new Tunze pumps (appologies if you already said in this thread)? If so would love to hear your thoughts. I haven't used them in quite some time so I imagine they are much improved over what I remember - and I liked them a lot.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 08:20 PM   #54
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
OK, but it's not a strong argument against a pump when the amount of work it's causing you isn't due to the pump, but due to your "OCD".

Either way, at least you can clean the Tunze. Most of the Vortech isn't accessible for cleaning. Or repair.
The entire wet side comes apart... You can, quite literally, clean every part of it that's exposed to water. And very easily.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 11:58 PM   #55
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Returning to the original question posed ..... have you bought new Tunze pumps (appologies if you already said in this thread)? If so would love to hear your thoughts. I haven't used them in quite some time so I imagine they are much improved over what I remember - and I liked them a lot.
I did. I bought six Stream 3 6150's. I figured since I wanted reliable, I'd get the one with the five year warranty. I only have four installed, trying to find the best orientation, and that's the struggle. They're big, have a cord, and don't work on 3/4" acrylic. So, I'm trying to find something that works placed on my two corner overflows because I don't want to buy magnets.

Flow is OK. It's about half an mp60. The deflector produces a really diffuse flow, but makes placement more flexible. For maximum reach across my 6.5' tank it's best to not use the deflector. But, now it's basically a cannon along the back side of the tank, which limits placement. It would work really well on a sea swirl. Controllability is basic, but will be better once I receive the cables to connect my Profilux.

Overall, it's promising but too early to tell. They're built REALLY well and have a 5 year warranty. It just comes down to placement to get the proper flow. And concealment. They're big, no getting around it. Plus cords suck. I got a couple Tunze frag rocks to run the cords behind. So between that and placement on the back of the tank, I should be good. Coral growth will hide them eventually. You'll always see the Vortech hockey puck on the side of the tank.

Unread 02/20/2018, 09:11 PM   #56
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
I did. I bought six Stream 3 6150's. I figured since I wanted reliable, I'd get the one with the five year warranty. I only have four installed, trying to find the best orientation, and that's the struggle. They're big, have a cord, and don't work on 3/4" acrylic. So, I'm trying to find something that works placed on my two corner overflows because I don't want to buy magnets.

Flow is OK. It's about half an mp60. The deflector produces a really diffuse flow, but makes placement more flexible. For maximum reach across my 6.5' tank it's best to not use the deflector. But, now it's basically a cannon along the back side of the tank, which limits placement. It would work really well on a sea swirl. Controllability is basic, but will be better once I receive the cables to connect my Profilux.

Overall, it's promising but too early to tell. They're built REALLY well and have a 5 year warranty. It just comes down to placement to get the proper flow. And concealment. They're big, no getting around it. Plus cords suck. I got a couple Tunze frag rocks to run the cords behind. So between that and placement on the back of the tank, I should be good. Coral growth will hide them eventually. You'll always see the Vortech hockey puck on the side of the tank.
How are you liking them so far? And six?!?! I just got two and only have one in the tank right now. 72"x36"x27" and at 100% using deflector I get pretty good flow everywhere in the tank. I'm going to figure out a place for the second one this weekend. I couldn't imagine placing six!

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 12:09 PM   #57
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
How are you liking them so far? And six?!?! I just got two and only have one in the tank right now. 72"x36"x27" and at 100% using deflector I get pretty good flow everywhere in the tank. I'm going to figure out a place for the second one this weekend. I couldn't imagine placing six!
I like them now that I've got good placement. They're horizontal in the back corners, controlled by a Profilux. I've still got my two mp60's running as well. So, yeah, a ton of flow. The Tunze are at a maximum of 75%, and I've still got major sand issues, but the fish like the flow.