Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2019, 07:45 AM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Will crabs destroy my pod populations?

I want to put dragnets in a tank with a lot of porcelain crabs and emerald crabs and similar. My plan is to grow pods in a refugium. An associate at my LFS said the crabs might destroy any pod population I try to build. Is this true?

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2019, 10:00 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It is unlikely to be an issue..
While crabs will eat anything its more likely that the dragonets will decimate your pod population faster..

Unread 10/01/2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

No. Your pods will grow best in a knot of cheatomorpha algae with some rock rubble. There might be little room for the crabs as the cheato increases, but they'll be ok, and they certainly wouldn't eat all your pods. Lighting will be important, as will circulation. When I maintained a cheato colony, I lit it 24/7 and had a very strong flow-through.
Also don't worry about them getting chewed up by your circulation pump. They're tiny enough to make it through the impeller of a 3500 gph pump alive. Be aware that even a strong cheato fuge can sustain about 1 dragonet. Their consumption of pods is about 1 every 3 seconds during daylight hours.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2019, 11:59 AM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Be aware that even a strong cheato fuge can sustain about 1 dragonet. Their consumption of pods is about 1 every 3 seconds during daylight hours.

Looks like I have to rethink my plan. I was planning on 1 mandarin dragonet, 1 scooter blenny, 1 red ruby dragonet. I got the idea from someone who had all three in one tank. Do you think this is something I can’t replicate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/01/2019, 12:12 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
Looks like I have to rethink my plan. I was planning on 1 mandarin dragonet, 1 scooter blenny, 1 red ruby dragonet. I got the idea from someone who had all three in one tank. Do you think this is something I can’t replicate?
Its certainly possible..

The statement from Sk8R of "strong cheato fuge" really isn't descriptive enough to tell you anything.

And you also haven't said anything about the size of your tank/fuge,etc...

Unread 10/03/2019, 09:03 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:

3 POD specific eaters in a 20g?
Nope

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 10:31 AM   #7
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
3 POD specific eaters in a 20g?

Nope

They’ll be in a 40 gal with pods grown in a refugium. I’d assume I’d need to add some pods or try to make a lot of space for them in the refugium

Unread 10/03/2019, 10:35 AM   #8
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
They’ll be in a 40 gal with pods grown in a refugium. I’d assume I’d need to add some pods or try to make a lot of space for them in the refugium

Is this sustainable for only 1 pod eater? I saw someone with all 3 online but it was a larger reef tank.

Unread 10/03/2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:

For three POD eaters, I was thinking 100+ with a lot of real mature rock, at least 1 year old, and a big fuge as well.

Just my two cents, POD eaters usually die a slow death as food source dwindles.

Unread 10/03/2019, 10:44 AM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Is this sustainable for only 1 pod eater? I saw someone with all 3 online but it was a larger reef tank.

Yup that large tank is in a position to handle the load as there is a ton more surface area for PODS to replicate.

I keep one stunning mandarin in my 65g, never fed him in 5 years. Added a scotter and in three months both started to shrink. Saved the Original only.

Try one for 6 months, it’s easy to add these type fish

Unread 10/03/2019, 11:21 AM   #11
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
For three POD eaters, I was thinking 100+ with a lot of real mature rock, at least 1 year old, and a big fuge as well.

Just my two cents, POD eaters usually die a slow death as food source dwindles.

Okay - thank you!! I’ll definitely stick to one pod eater

Unread 10/03/2019, 11:43 AM   #12
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The statement from Sk8R of "strong cheato fuge" really isn't descriptive enough to tell you anything.
Really? Maybe you just didn't read the part about the lighting and the circulation, and how she specifically addressed those issues in her refugium?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 12:31 PM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Really? Maybe you just didn't read the part about the lighting and the circulation, and how she specifically addressed those issues in her refugium?

Kevin
Yes really... I read exactly what was posted..

The statement of "beware" lacked any specifics about the size of that "strong chaeto fuge". While she made mention earlier to her specific system that beware statement made no reference to that specific system..
As such I make a comment about it as its not correct to just state that a "strong chaeto fuge can only support 1 fish"..
If that "strong chaeto fuge" is 200 gallons it can support far more than that..

Unread 10/03/2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yes really... I read exactly what was posted..

The statement of "beware" lacked any specifics about the size of that "strong chaeto fuge". While she made mention earlier to her specific system that beware statement made no reference to that specific system..
As such I make a comment about it as its not correct to just state that a "strong chaeto fuge can only support 1 fish"..
If that "strong chaeto fuge" is 200 gallons it can support far more than that..
As usual, and I mean as usual, you must try to slight others to make yourself sound superior. You give good advice, but it's often couched in snarky comments, put downs or swipes at others.

You may call it "being blunt," but many don't see it that way.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 01:38 PM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

In no way was that a slight at anyone.. and I think you are blowing this out of proportion.
You have misunderstood me and my intentions as you for some reason felt the need to defend sk8r. I don't think she needs anyone to defend her here. She seems more than capable of doing that on her own..

As anyone can see from the following post the blanket statement caused the OP to doubt themselves and state that they may need to "rethink their plan".

Based on the specifics provided at that time that may or may not have been true. Only through additional facts can that be realized. My statement was simply to help them out by showing a minor fault in an unclear blanket statement and requesting additional information to help give real answers into if its possible or not before they loose all hope in their dreams.

Quite frankly your comments in this post are worse than anything I've said here.. You have clearly tried to attack me personally in public.. That is conduct unbecoming of an admin.

Unread 10/03/2019, 01:53 PM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Like others I believe that 3 pod eaters in a 40 gallon tank is certainly pushing it and would likely result in thin fish or worse..
In order to have a good chance at success I would suggest at least a 40G sump/fuge to try to cultivate as large of a growing pod population as possible and potentially cultivating/purchasing pods on a routine basis .

In a 40g without doing anything else though 1 pod eater is a good recommendation and even that may require supplemental pod replenishment as needed..

Unread 10/03/2019, 02:11 PM   #17
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you would like specifics: that was a 30 gallon fuge with a soccerball sized cheato ball supporting a 50 gallon tank with a lot of aged rock. 1 mandy was fine. But she was small.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 10:44 AM   #18
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Their consumption of pods is about 1 every 3 seconds during daylight hours.
Thank you! I am currently picking the equipment to set up the tank and fuge right now. I have a 40 gal breeder DT, and a 29 Gal tank for a sump. I'm purchasing a kit to put in the dividers myself - I'm going to try to make the fuge as big as possible. My plan is to use Algae Barn's ultimate refugium starter pack (chateau algae, marine pure block, and pods). I am purchasing Reef Octopus' 100 gal rated skimmer. No powerheads yet.

Just to confirm, do you think the fuge I'll make will be big enough to support pods to feed a single dragonet? It will be in my DT.

Thanks

Edit: Yikes. I just saw your other comment. 30 gal fuge for 1 dragonet. I'm guessing the answer to my question is no and I should give up my dreams of a mandy in a 40 gal.

Unread 10/11/2019, 11:03 AM   #19
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I run a 60 gallon, no sump, no fuge, but I keep only 1 pod eater, a Mandarin.
He has done well for about 5 years now, never fed him once, never seen him eat anything but PODS.

1 POD eater in a 40G with 1 year old rock, no sumps, no fuge, will work fine.

The secret if the aged rock and NO other competitors.

Unread 10/11/2019, 08:08 PM   #20
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:

The secret if the aged rock and NO other competitors.
What fish will count as competitors?
How often do you add pods? How many?

Unread 10/13/2019, 04:54 AM   #21
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
What fish will count as competitors?
How often do you add pods? How many?
Anyone who exclusively eats PODS.

Mandarin, Scooters, anyone who has that mandarin mouth configuration.
I have never added a pod.

Unread 10/21/2019, 05:57 AM   #22
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I have personally seen my Royal Gamma & both my Osc Clowns constantly on the hunt when pods were introduced & flourishing. I added my pods after dark late & the next day these fish were scouring every corner of my tank eyeing everything very closely for pods.
Granted i am not hosting the Clowns with an anemone so they roam freely constantly.
But a lot of species will hunt & eat pods not just mandarin & scooter blennys.
Even my Watchman Goby is a serious constant feeder of pods, micro brittle stars and anything tiny within eye sight and reach near the bottom so...............
1 pod eater can be a very tough decision depending on the fish introduced along with a mandarin, one can very easily mistake a regular predator for a non pod eater but in reality it will also hunt & consume your precious pods.
Best advice i can give is all fish are different & many of the meat eaters can/will hunt pods, if you find you got one that is eating your Mandarins pods then you will have to supplement pods or remove the fish & you really won't know till its in your tank TBH. This is another time when having a huge tank & refug covers a prob.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2019, 03:44 PM   #23
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Sure, all fish will eat pods, but they will also eat other stuff, the mandarin generally not.
A mandarin is an extremely proficient POD hunter, with a mouth made for picking