Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:35 PM   #1
SamS
Registered Member

feeding

I currently have a pair of H. erectus and feed them 2x a day everyday. They get a mix of frozen mysis and enriched brine shrimp as well as live copepods on occasion as a treat (though they seem to really prefer the frozen stuff...go figure).

Anyway, I'm going to be going away for the holidays for about a week and a half. I have a friend that can feed them on 3 different days while I'm away and they are pretty evenly spaced out over that time frame. The most they would go without someone would be 3 days. I've read that for going away for a long weekend, fasting the seahorses is fine, but I'm concerned about fasting them multiple times in such a short period (they would basically be fasted for a day, fed, then fasted 3 days, fed then fasted another 3 days). Are they going to be ok doing this? Or should I try to find others to come feed? Or anyone have any auto-feeder suggestions?

SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 10:01 PM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

First, no one has come up with an auto feeder to handle frozen foods.
Second, I'd NEVER go that long with such few feedings.
They may be alive when you get back but die weeks or a month down the road.
I make sure I have a fish sitter to look after things while I'm away.
Also, you need someone to take care of cleaning the tank of any crap that can provide bedding for nasty bacteria.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 06:15 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

When I go away I have someone come once a day. I have the frozen food pre-measured. After the seahorses have eaten the frozen I have my sitter net 7-10 live shrimp for the ponies to catch at their leisure. I have food pre-measured for the live shrimp as well. I also have a brute can with circulating salt water already made. That way mid week my sitter can do a water change by simply taking out water and then replacing it. I do very thorough cleaning before and after the trip. I don't run filter pads or socks when I go away as I don't want them to trap detritus and become a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Jeff4777
Registered Member

Well.. it seems you already know their care requirements.. So as you know seahorses have primitive digestive systems and need a bunch of small meals. Don't think anyone here will tell you it will be okay. Also you say someone can feed them 3 different days. I don't know if that means 2-3 meals throughout the day spread out or just 1 and the person leaves. Either way its a huge risk. If there is a fuge on the system, make sure its loaded with pods\micro fauna. I'd recommend finding another person to help feed if possible.

Jeff4777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2015, 11:22 AM   #5
kizanne
Registered Member

I'd order 1000 or so amphipods from AD. If your lucky it will be their buy 1000 get a 1000 special they run every once in a while.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 08:09 AM   #6
SamS
Registered Member

I figured the multiple fastings wouldn't be a good idea :/
They would be fed 2x a day on those 3 days but I still doubt that's enough.
I may just cut my trip short and see if I can have someone come a little more frequently.
I use a feeding station so I'm not overly concerned about excess waste in the water while I'm gone, more just the getting them fed enough.

SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 08:13 AM   #7
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
First, no one has come up with an auto feeder to handle frozen foods.
Second, I'd NEVER go that long with such few feedings.
They may be alive when you get back but die weeks or a month down the road.
I make sure I have a fish sitter to look after things while I'm away.
Also, you need someone to take care of cleaning the tank of any crap that can provide bedding for nasty bacteria.
http://************.com/2013/11/25/a...g-diy-project/

While no company has, it can be done if your a genius like this guy.

C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 09:26 AM   #8
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I use a feeding station so I'm not overly concerned about excess waste in the water while I'm gone, more just the getting them fed enough.
I personally would be concerned even with a feeding dish because any uneaten food needs to be removed BEFORE it becomes more contaminated with bacteria.
It can be as little as a few hours to contaminate and possibly affect a seahorse that is eating it later rather than eating newly thawed and rinsed food.

Unread 11/21/2015, 09:31 AM   #9
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Eymann View Post
While no company has, it can be done if your a genius like this guy.
Link didn't work for me but I've seen a site before that may be the same.
In that case it was 900g tank which means the cost of making the set up is more in line with his overall investment.
Then you only have to worry about long power outages if you are away and it is being utilized.