Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2018, 07:04 PM   #3026
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Your latest FTS looks fabulous, Matt. If I wanted to count the number of your corals in this picture, I would have to spend a long time in front of my iMac.

Hopefully, "the damage" will be restricted only to the affected coral you mentioned above.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 10:44 PM   #3027
Pife
Registered Member

Matt your tank is stuffed with coral! I hope the smooth skin bounces back. If it makes you feel any better my urchin went and stole several corals one being my pink cadillac and it's now mia.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 10:53 PM   #3028
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Here is a quick and dirty Iphone fts pic..
Unfortunately, I am suddenly too ****ed off and uninspired to get out the real camera..
Hopefully, the damage won’t spread..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope my reef will look also brown once like this one.
Most nasty things in the tank are due to ourselves, tweaking and getting our hands wet.
Hoping for a fast recovery.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 02:21 AM   #3029
Rakie
In Memoriam

It's looking great Matt. Don't fret too much, there's always gonna be a bump in our road.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 07:57 AM   #3030
plyle02
Registered Member

Matt, your recent coral photos are simply amazing, I cannot express to you how impressed I am with your tank, a masterpiece. You scape is perfect, and you have corals perched everywhere, all I see is colorful corals, no matter what species, they all seem to be thriving. Outstanding Matt!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 11:55 AM   #3031
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
If you are a real acro whore like me and just can’t resist adding new corals, spacing them closer will help enable your addiction.
If your long term goal is to have really nice full grown colonies, then farther is better.
Ive always felt that adding frags close together will eventually force me to space things out but will give me time to really decide which corals I want to keep. The ones that get close and that I don’t want or that I kill, by doing stupid things - like I just did- make it easier to remove corals I don’t want long term.
My great suharsonoi (or caroliniana) that I grew out from a small piece..
Pictured here is now a brown turd that looks like it will rtn within days...
So, not so happy about that..
Here is a quick and dirty Iphone fts pic..
Unfortunately, I am suddenly too ****ed off and uninspired to get out the real camera..
Hopefully, the damage won’t spread..

Brown? WTH Matt... I can’t find anything brown in there

Love it

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 01:25 PM   #3032
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Matt, how do you go about getting rid of a coral that has grown to close to another one? I have a couple corals like that and I would like to take out. I worry about cutting the branches off and smothering the base with kalk, as the high ph might effect the coral close by.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 03:02 AM   #3033
illumnae
Registered Member

How is that suharsonoi anything like turd? If anyone sees turd that colour in their toilet bowl, I suggest quickly going to see your doctor... you might have come into contact with some radioactive material somehow.

Your tank is looking amazing Matt

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 07:21 AM   #3034
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Your latest FTS looks fabulous, Matt. If I wanted to count the number of your corals in this picture, I would have to spend a long time in front of my iMac.

Hopefully, "the damage" will be restricted only to the affected coral you mentioned above.
Hey Bulent, thank you! The tank always looks good from far when you can’t see the little stagnant corals or old damage or slow growers..
And even I have trouble counting the corals - even when standing in from the of the tank... that’s why I don’t bother!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Matt your tank is stuffed with coral! I hope the smooth skin bounces back. If it makes you feel any better my urchin went and stole several corals one being my pink cadillac and it's now mia.
Thanks Brandon. Actually my pink Cadillac was one of the corals to shrivel up like a prim and turn brown..
Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
I hope my reef will look also brown once like this one.
Most nasty things in the tank are due to ourselves, tweaking and getting our hands wet.
Hoping for a fast recovery.
Agreed.. I am usually singularly to blame for the death and poor health of corals in my tank.
Below I’ll show some before and after shots of the worst affected corals.. it was only a handful of corals. Not a wide spread event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
It's looking great Matt. Don't fret too much, there's always gonna be a bump in our road.
Thanks! Oh yeah.. I have a bump about every 6 months or so. I guess partly because I keep changing my routine.. even though I keep preaching the virtues of keeping things stable and not changing anything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
Brown? WTH Matt... I can’t find anything brown in there

Love it
Thanks, Flo.. you will in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Matt, how do you go about getting rid of a coral that has grown to close to another one? I have a couple corals like that and I would like to take out. I worry about cutting the branches off and smothering the base with kalk, as the high ph might effect the coral close by.
Actuall, I haven’t really had to deal with a very large colony yet.. well a large colony that was packed in tight.
Since most of the corals in my tank wee grown from frags, even after the base encrusts and grows out, there is still a weak point there and often you can still crack it off at that point. If not, I usually go to town snipping all the branches down, scrape off as much of the fleshy base as possible and then insert new coral. The new coral will shade the old scratched up base and it usually dies off..
Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
How is that suharsonoi anything like turd? If anyone sees turd that colour in their toilet bowl, I suggest quickly going to see your doctor... you might have come into contact with some radioactive material somehow.

Your tank is looking amazing Matt
your misunderstood my post.. that was a pre treatment pic.. I will post a couple before and after shots in a sec..
And thanks!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 07:32 AM   #3035
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok. Here are the two worst affected corals..
The one that most angers me. Before.. as posted above:

And after.. the springeri was most accommodating in taking up his position!

Here’s another.. before..
And after..

So, yes definitely not the end of the world.. several other smaller corals have also browned out but not anything I really love, thankfully..
I’m really not happy about that suharsonoi, however...
One interesting and disturbing thing I noticed... when a coral goes brown like this, suddenly the aefw bite marks become dramatically more apparent...
Recently, I added several peppermint shrimp and some yellow wrasses.. I’ll have to add a few more peps and I think I’ll begin flatworm stop..
I’ll still post ongoing (and slightly reduced) LC dosing..
I really appreciate all the comments, people! Thank you very much!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 03/19/2018, 09:52 AM   #3036
illumnae
Registered Member

Oops sorry for the misunderstanding!

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 10:22 AM   #3037
watchguy123
Registered Member

Your ups and downs really help those following along. It’s so informative seeing these changes due to one reason or another. I am usually not brave enough to show my many misadventures but your sharing inspires me to do the same more often.

I constantly am amazed and I guess reminded how diligent and consistent one has to be to achieve a tank full of happy corals.

Thank you for constantly sharing, learning along with you.

Current Tank Info: 180 Bowfront, 30 gallon sump, 20 gallon refugium, reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump, 2 x 6105 Tunze ,Tunze ATO, dual chamber CA reactor, 3 x250 metal halides with 2x t5 actinic supplement, Reefbrite Blue XHO's dawn/dusk
watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 06:56 PM   #3038
Stickboy97
Registered Member

Man sorry to see/hear about your browning event. Your tank is still amazing! Thx for the FTS.

Unread 03/27/2018, 08:30 PM   #3039
markalot

Sorry to hear about the troubles Matt. Hopefully we are both over them for the time being!

Unread 03/28/2018, 05:10 AM   #3040
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Sorry to see your having some problems Matt. This hobby/addiction can be a real test of will sometimes. Hang in there bud, there is still so much in your tank that shines brightly.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 07:59 AM   #3041
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Oops sorry for the misunderstanding!
no problem at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
Your ups and downs really help those following along. It’s so informative seeing these changes due to one reason or another. I am usually not brave enough to show my many misadventures but your sharing inspires me to do the same more often.

I constantly am amazed and I guess reminded how diligent and consistent one has to be to achieve a tank full of happy corals.

Thank you for constantly sharing, learning along with you.
Mark, thank you for the very inspiring comments! I really appreciate it. It is totally demoralizing when you screw things up in your tank.. as we all know.. it’s not so bad when it’s only a minor screwup, though.
I realize that this thread and my personal reef keeping practices are a bit hypocritical because on the one hand I totally agree with the reef mentra: Stability is Key yet I continue to mess around with things.. but ultimately my goal is to find the formula that I like and that provides that stability in the long term.
I think I’m inching ever so closer to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Sorry to hear about the troubles Matt. Hopefully we are both over them for the time being!
Amen, Mark! Thanks! My suharsonoi/caroliniana- whichever it may be is regaining color daily, now.. it wasn’t so bad..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Sorry to see your having some problems Matt. This hobby/addiction can be a real test of will sometimes. Hang in there bud, there is still so much in your tank that shines brightly.
Thanks, man! It was a minor blip this time, Scott. The few affected corals are recovering their color and pe... thankfully!!

After the RSR treatment- which I ended after 24 hours, I went on a little 10%/10 day water change refresher on the tank. Using H2Ocean salt.
I really liked the results. Really perked up the whole tank and I found that after about the 5th wc, the tank just looked clearer and more vibrant.. maybe it was all in my head.. but still. I like the results..
I was too busy to do testing last weekend so I’m not sure where nutrients are with the LC dosing but I did reduce it somewhat last week so I’ll check again this weekend.. I hope! I don’t expect them to have changed much from my last readings..
I did however slap my iPhone in my viewing box a couple days ago and made a quick and dirty front/top down video. I have to say that I am quite happy with 80% of the corals in my tank right now..
This is with all lights on..

https://youtu.be/ttQiA3GpsfM

And since it’s been almost exactly two years since I added my Ice/fir echinata frag, I’m going to go over to Tapatalk and post the 12 or so progression shots I have of that coral.. it is not a swift grower for me!

Unread 03/28/2018, 08:03 AM   #3042
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post
Man sorry to see/hear about your browning event. Your tank is still amazing! Thx for the FTS.
Missed this.. thanks! And no problem. It’s easy to get me to post a photo. It’s like forcing me to eat maple ice cream! Real maple ice cream.

Unread 03/28/2018, 08:10 AM   #3043
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok! Two years growth or this, one of my all time favorite corals and ‘till now, most elusive for me to keep... KNOCK IN WOOD.. poopoo, throw salt over my shoulder.. etc etc
From Feb 2016

Unread 03/28/2018, 08:13 AM   #3044
reefmutt
Registered Member

Last week..

Hopefully in a week I can show some recovery pics..

Unread 03/28/2018, 08:22 AM   #3045
fishguy597
Registered Member

Love the pics and the YouTube video.

How long have you had the group of antheas? Do you do anything special for them or just feed them with pellets on a timer?

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 08:32 AM   #3046
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
Love the pics and the YouTube video.

How long have you had the group of antheas? Do you do anything special for them or just feed them with pellets on a timer?
Thanks. I’m not sure they’d eat pellets.. some might.
I only feed twice a day. A mix or frozen mysis shrimp and spirulina brine shrimp. 8 cubes total- two feedings.
When they were new and getting established, I fed more often but now they do fine with this..

Unread 03/28/2018, 09:37 AM   #3047
SawCJack00
Professional Mind Reader

Matt, have you considered adding a few more corals to your tank? It seems a bit barren

My build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670607

Don't forget your towel!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
SawCJack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 09:48 AM   #3048
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawCJack00 View Post
Matt, have you considered adding a few more corals to your tank? It seems a bit barren
I know!! I feel the same. Glad you noticed!
I have a bunch of frags sitting in a cart that I haven’t pulled the trigger on but your comment may have pushed me over the edge.

Unread 03/28/2018, 10:13 AM   #3049
shih87
Registered Member

Wow!!! Is it echinata?
Very very nice!!!

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 10:39 AM   #3050
Sam2832
Registered Member