Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2006, 05:17 PM   #176
clkwrk
Registered Member

Wow that doesn't look like the same coral at all . That dip took its toll but hey its ALIVE and looks as if it will make a good recovery.

Also I will go out on a limb and say that if there are no other signs of them on other corals you might get lucky . I made the mistake of blowing the corals off in the display before removal . My wrasses got alot of them but not all of them so they were able to spread. I don't think they like to roam about on their own .

Unread 08/22/2006, 05:20 PM   #177
melev
Moved On

Hey clkwrk, what type of acro is that in your avatar? I think it needs to be in my tank.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 06:08 PM   #178
clkwrk
Registered Member

yellow Austera with purple/violet polyps. It's still a baby yet but it will be with me for a long time so I will let you know when the time comes. Just bug me every once in a while .

Unread 08/22/2006, 07:58 PM   #179
Sparkss
Registered Member

I had (have) an Austera w/ bright blue polyps on the top 1 1/2" of the tips, then the rest were bright green/yellow. It is one of the survivors so far, but just barely holding on...

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 08:32 PM   #180
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

So after read some of the results that other have got dipping w/ Betadine, I figured that i would give it a try. the first dip that i used in my QT process were with Levamisole. It seemed to kill the AEFW and i had no losts. My results w/ Betadine have been similar so far. AEFW were kill and no losts so far (only 5hrs have past). a few acro aren't looking so great be many have PE. I should be get two bottle of TMPCC next week and will be using it in my next dip.

Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 08:56 PM   #181
clkwrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
I had (have) an Austera w/ bright blue polyps on the top 1 1/2" of the tips, then the rest were bright green/yellow. It is one of the survivors so far, but just barely holding on...
These are purple/violet all the way to the base every single polyp

My bennet and wild yellow do as your does blue polyps towards the tops.

Unread 08/22/2006, 09:08 PM   #182
melev
Moved On

I've got a question for you guys regarding A. secale. Mine has been fading evenly all over the core and up most of the branches. Today as I was studying it closely, I saw some polyps extended while other areas I saw black holes where the polyps should show. This coral has encrusted on m the rockwork in a couple of directions. Does that match your AEFW experience, or is it only the oval bite marks that indicate there's a problem?

Unread 08/22/2006, 09:13 PM   #183
clkwrk
Registered Member

No I have seen them leave patches somewhat bare . Bit marks are from the lil ones and the biger areas are adults.

Here are two adults that were on my avatar

Unread 08/22/2006, 09:20 PM   #184
melev
Moved On

Hmm. So my secale has a totally different issue going on perhaps. Of course it would. Why not just keep things simple for me?

Unread 08/22/2006, 09:54 PM   #185
Travis
10 and over club

Marc, I've experienced the same in the past. Not sure if it was FW related or not. I tend to doubt so. When my AEFW's were all over the place I was not having this issue. Every time a coral has had this issue (polyps disappear leaving behind a hollow hole) the coral eventually died.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 11:12 PM   #186
melev
Moved On

Unread 08/23/2006, 09:36 PM   #187
ikatobiko
Awaiting Email Confirmation

New Frags

It has been 4 months that my tank has been acro free.
For new colonies (small frags) I am thinking that I will not treat for AEFWs but instead quarantine the new frags for a month minimum and inspect them for FWs. If I see worms, eggs or any damaged bald spots then I will treat them and quarantine for an additional month.

I still plan to treat with Interceptor for red bugs.

Has anyone been succesful using this quarantine type approach without treating with Levamisole or Betadine?

ikatobiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 11:13 PM   #188
exoticaquatix
Registered Member.

the only tri-colors i ever had developed strange patches on them just like the pics posted by clkwrk above, the first one to show this immediately got tossed in the trash. i obviously panicked but it seemed to pay off. a few months later the secondv(A. Valida) frag started showing these marks so i fragged that in half and watched it for a week. this seemed to work until i moved my tank when the marks showed up again. this coral also met the same fate only i swished it in fresh water and noticed some very small AEFW in the bottom of the bowl. i have not seen any since (1 1/2 months)..... which leads me to yesterday when i found red bugs on my lokani!

i guess my question is whether or not betadine is effective on both red bugs and AEFW should i decide to dip a colony or 2 if they start looking crappy. sorry for the long winded intro.
-nick

Current Tank Info: 120gal 500w MH 10K XMs 30g sump, MSX-200 skimmer, vortech MP40w and Tunze nanostreams; 9 gal, 29gal FW planted tanks
exoticaquatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2006, 01:24 AM   #189
melev
Moved On

Nick, I don't know, but I have an A. granulosa with redbugs. I could try dipping it perhaps, and see if the bugs get upset enough to jump off.

Here's a picture of the Tyree frag today, from the side.

Unread 08/24/2006, 09:07 AM   #190
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Marc,
coral looks better and have PE. I think u should be fine...Just dont dip it for a week or so. IME,coral like this will recover if u not gonna stress it more..Did u have a lot of AEFW on this coral?

mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2006, 11:58 AM   #191
melev
Moved On

Well, defining a lot is tough. I saw quite a few during the iodine test, but on the betadine dip I only saw a couple during the basting process. When 25 minutes was done, I pulled it out but there were none. Since they dissolve in that solution (apparently) I can't give you a number.

Unread 08/24/2006, 02:50 PM   #192
gflat65
Registered Member

Re: New Frags

Quote:
Originally posted by ikatobiko
It has been 4 months that my tank has been acro free.
For new colonies (small frags) I am thinking that I will not treat for AEFWs but instead quarantine the new frags for a month minimum and inspect them for FWs. If I see worms, eggs or any damaged bald spots then I will treat them and quarantine for an additional month.

I still plan to treat with Interceptor for red bugs.

Has anyone been succesful using this quarantine type approach without treating with Levamisole or Betadine?
I've been doing something similar with TMPCC and have been (seemingly) AEFW free since March or April. I did the Levamisole treatment initially, which dropped me to about 5% of the original number of acros (but no AEFW...). All new additions (doesn't matter what genus they are) get a TMPCC dip upon arrival and get weekly dips after that for a month. If everything looks good, they get to move up to the east side.

Unread 08/27/2006, 12:41 AM   #193
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

well it been nearly a week since my last dip w/ betadine. All of my acros browned and i have lost two out of 23. none of the acros have very good PE and i am wondering weather betadine is any better than levamisole.

Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2006, 11:32 AM   #194
melev
Moved On

The tips on my Tyree are starting to turn purple again, at the top 1/4" or so. The core is still golden brown.

Unread 08/27/2006, 09:22 PM   #195
melev
Moved On

I see some color on this coral again. Just a bit.

Unread 08/28/2006, 10:48 AM   #196
Stoney Mahony
Registered Member

Ok, I think I have a wayyyyyy better treatment. Ill post pics, results and facts when I get home from work. No color loss so far in any corals accept where the aefw ate the tissue off..... Sorry for the tease!!!!!! Ill post later!

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian

Current Tank Info: 45 g hex- 50 lbs LR, Softies, Clams, LPS, wet dry, berlin skimmer w/150 watt HQI. 55 g SPS- 90 lbs LR w/ 20 g caulerpa fuge, 35 g cheato fuge w/ 98w PC. 2x 400 watt XM 20k,Berlin XL skimmer, Intermatic timer on pumps for wave action
Stoney Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 10:54 AM   #197
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoney Mahony
Ok, I think I have a wayyyyyy better treatment. Ill post pics, results and facts when I get home from work. No color loss so far in any corals accept where the aefw ate the tissue off..... Sorry for the tease!!!!!! Ill post later!
NOOOOOOOOO, U cant do this to us..please,tell us about ur treatment at least

mike

MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 11:07 AM   #198
Neptune777
Premium Member

Tease! Please give us some details!

Neptune777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 12:21 PM   #199
gflat65
Registered Member

Stoney-if you keep teasing us like this, you will get a reputation.lol

Unread 08/28/2006, 12:44 PM   #200
Wiskey
Registered Member

That Rules Stony, Ill be checking back when you get home.

Whiskey