Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2015, 05:04 PM   #101
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I hope to get some tomorrow. A local importer/wholesaler/store has a Solomon shipment coming in tonight and they told me that they ordered a bunch of percula among other things.
So I'm busy setting up another QT in the living room - good thing the wife is away for two weeks

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 04/29/2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: .
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 05:15 PM   #102
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Thanks. I thought running it full time would prevent re-infection. On a good note I purchased wild caught true perculas from Solomon and one of them (male) has a black dorsal fin. It's amazing how nicely wild clowns color up. The male is barely over an inch big and already has black markings on top. The female has black but not as much. These are established clowns. Here are some pics.
Male:

Female:
Give them time, they will likely get more black when growing up. My smaller one looked almost like your big one and by now he is all black in the upper 3/4s between the first two bands.

BTW: They look very nice!

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/29/2015, 05:48 PM   #103
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I hope to get some tomorrow. A local importer/wholesaler/store has a Solomon shipment coming in tonight and they told me that they ordered a bunch of percula among other things.
So I'm busy setting up another QT in the living room - good thing the wife is away for two weeks
I'm looking forward to seeing what you pick up!

Unread 04/29/2015, 05:50 PM   #104
D-Nak
Registered Member

LA DD had captive-bred Onyx clowns that sold quickly today. They both have the head of typical CB Onyx clowns.

Unread 04/29/2015, 06:04 PM   #105
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
LA DD had captive-bred Onyx clowns that sold quickly today. They both have the head of typical CB Onyx clowns.

Yes they went pretty quick for the price and looks of those clowns. They were good compared to what (ugly CB onyx) I have seen around lately. Most "higher" grade SA Onyx clowns I have seen sell for $99 around here. So I wasn't surprised to see a $200 for the pair.
And the ORA Picasso pair listed at $270 is gone too.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 06:29 PM   #106
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
In today's market that's saturated with deformed clowns it's easy to understand the desire to own wild caught clowns. The melanistic features of Solomon and PNG percula clowns make them that much more interesting. Let us know if you get new true percs and post some pics too

Unread 04/29/2015, 07:00 PM   #107
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
In today's market that's saturated with deformed clowns it's easy to understand the desire to own wild caught clowns. The melanistic features of Solomon and PNG percula clowns make them that much more interesting. Let us know if you get new true percs and post some pics too
Let's also not forget that many of the designer strains where isolated from Solomon and PNG percula.

I will see if I can take some pictures at the store and for sure will post pictures of what I got

I just hope they don't get too much good stuff

Unread 04/29/2015, 07:13 PM   #108
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:

I almost pulled the trigger if it weren't for their slightly enlarged hump head. Oh well, still looking for the perfect pair of Onyx!

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 07:55 PM   #109
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I almost pulled the trigger if it weren't for their slightly enlarged hump head. Oh well, still looking for the perfect pair of Onyx!
Just out of curiosity, how much did they ask for them?

Unread 04/29/2015, 08:01 PM   #110
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how much did they ask for them?
$200 for the pair

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 04/29/2015 at 08:20 PM.
Unread 04/29/2015, 08:03 PM   #111
Maximus
Registered Member

The other pair was $249 I believe. I have no idea what the difference is between premium and Grade A. Anyone know?

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 08:10 PM   #112
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The other pair was $249 I believe. I have no idea what the difference is between premium and Grade A. Anyone know?
There were 2 pairs? I only saw the one for $200. Wow, they went REALLY fast. LOL

Unread 04/29/2015, 11:21 PM   #113
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Nice, they will look good in an electric green haddoni.
I might get an electric green or blue Haddoni. I plan on going bare bottom on my new acrylic build and I have never kept a Haddoni without sand.

Unread 04/29/2015, 11:55 PM   #114
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I might get an electric green or blue Haddoni. I plan on going bare bottom on my new acrylic build and I have never kept a Haddoni without sand.
I might just know where to get a nice, large and most importantly healthy one...

Unread 04/30/2015, 12:38 AM   #115
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
$200 for the pair
These two are near misses on misbars and are a bit off in their body proportions - no way grade A on my scale. I may classify them as a D

It's crazy what people pay for less than perfect tank bred clowns these days.: uhoh3:

Unread 04/30/2015, 01:14 AM   #116
DasCamel
Registered Member

Lol yeah, yours looked better...

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 01:39 AM   #117
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The female was what I would grade as an A.
The male was a B because the black in the back was incomplete on one side.

Unread 04/30/2015, 01:50 AM   #118
D-Nak
Registered Member

Here's the other pair:

Both pairs looked a bit wide, height-wise. Could be that the photo proportions are off though.

Unread 04/30/2015, 02:03 AM   #119
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Both pairs looked a bit wide, height-wise. Could be that the photo proportions are off though.
I felt the same. I feel a result of too much focus on coloring and not enough on body proportions when selecting the captive bred broodstock.
I think you either need enough wild pairs to get a broad enough genetic range or mix wild and captive bred when making new pairs.
If these are from the C-Quest line they go back to only a hand full of offspring of only two pairs, and I doubt their parents where F1s.

Unread 04/30/2015, 08:19 AM   #120
OrionN
Moved on

The Pelvic fins of both pairs are deformed and small.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 08:26 AM   #121
Ginger bay
Registered Member

Quote:
1.016 is fine! Sick fish do actually better in lower salinity.
+1 I would never quarantine or hospitalize fish in SG greater than 1.019 more closer to 1.017

Current Tank Info: 8gal Nano and 90gal Cube
Ginger bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 08:29 AM   #122
Ginger bay
Registered Member

Quote:
Sad update. The clowns died. They looked terribly stressed and uncomfortable last night so I did a 50% water change to remove a large chunk of the medication. Woke up this morning and both were dead. If I could go back in time I probably would have just kept them in Hikari medication, not do a fresh water dip and not do a tank transfer. I think that all those things really stressed them out.
Oh no. Sorry to see this update. I would suggest CP next time with 37% formulin baths might help more.

Unread 04/30/2015, 08:55 AM   #123
Ginger bay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The Pelvic fins of both pairs are deformed and small.
+1 totally agree

8 years ago, there were some nice C-Quest onyx. Now C-Quest equates to defective fish. Way too much disregard to inbreeding (brother to sister, mother to son) makes it so hard to actually find a good captive bred C-Quest. Too many different defects showing up in the lineage.

Unread 04/30/2015, 09:37 AM   #124
temper76
Registered Member

My kind of group .good to read that this group is not blind and see all the garbage that's out there. coralsAddiction they were a nice pair of onyx .i think they died bcuz to much changes something stressed them out bad.diifrent meds etc.. if i was you Ii would hit them with formalin 37% and just leave them plenty of oxygen have airstone on strong.make sure they don't have open wounds formalin could be toxic .after formalin then worried about parasites clownfish can stay alive with no food nearly 2 weeks .the formalin treatment is less than 5 days after that's done have them on something mild like general cure .but when using formalin I would do it by itself .after you get it all out the system then add what ever choice you have for internal parasites and anti bacterial meds.good luck on your future pair

temper76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 11:31 AM   #125
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temper76 View Post
My kind of group .good to read that this group is not blind and see all the garbage that's out there. coralsAddiction they were a nice pair of onyx .i think they died bcuz to much changes something stressed them out bad.diifrent meds etc.. if i was you Ii would hit them with formalin 37% and just leave them plenty of oxygen have airstone on strong.make sure they don't have open wounds formalin could be toxic .after formalin then worried about parasites clownfish can stay alive with no food nearly 2 weeks .the formalin treatment is less than 5 days after that's done have them on something mild like general cure .but when using formalin I would do it by itself .after you get it all out the system then add what ever choice you have for internal parasites and anti bacterial meds.good luck on your future pair
Welcome to the purist club