Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2020, 02:56 AM   #1
MummysReefTank
Registered Member

Exclamation Help please!

Hi,

I've added 2 cardinals to my 450L tank, they have been in there since Saturday, and this AM I noticed that one was looking a little raged. Now I've watched fish A attacking (the now raggedy) fish B. What should I do? They are all that is in there atm, will this stop once pecking order is established or will Fish A kill B?

V

MummysReefTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

What type of cardinal? They usually get along if given sufficient space and it sounds like you have the space. Do you have a QT tank? You could remove the aggressor, letting the passive one have time to heal and get situated before re-introducing the other cardinal.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Welcome to RC, MummysReefTank!

I agree with Monkeyfish. Separate the two. It may help to set it up so they can see each other, like with a tank divider or acclimation box.

It sounds like you may have two males, or two fish that are more mature than the typical juveniles sold. If they are kinda big, consider trading them in for smaller fish.

As a general statement, the older fish get, the meaner and less tolerant of tank mates they become. So it is always better to choose the smaller fish available, when buying.

The ragged fish will be susceptible to illness, so you may want to get it back to QT, so you can medicate/pamper it.

A few ideas. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish advice, fish aggression, fish behaviour, help 120 gallon, new additions