Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2021, 03:55 PM   #1
salty joe
Registered Member

pairing large angels

I got a couple juvi blue ring angels a month ago hoping that the dominant one would morph into a male and I'd end up with a bonded pair. One is dominant all right. It mostly chases and nips the other's tail. There is some damage, though not severe. Sometimes they hang together but mostly the dominant one chases the other. Sometimes the other will behave in a submissive manner but the dominant one runs it off. Not sure how long they might take to sort things out, if ever.

Anybody have experience pairing large angels?

Unread 04/28/2021, 10:20 AM   #2
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with the gender of all angels. I know some are born as all females, but I'm not sure if that is true with the Pomacanthus Angels???

Not everyone likes each other. If it's possible maybe put the dominant one into the sump on time out for a few months. Let the submissive one recover and maybe even outgrow the dominant one and then try a slow add back to the tank using an acclimation box.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2021, 05:37 PM   #3
salty joe
Registered Member

From what I've read, they are hermaphrodites.
The dominant one was a little smaller than the other when I got them but now is the bigger fish. The dominant one is also more skittish. I'm still hoping they pair up, the submissive one approached the other from behind and they both shook and wiggled for a few seconds before the dominant one turned and chased it away.
There's not much damage on the submissive's tail, it's eating and looking good. I'm leaving things as is for now with crossed fingers.