Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2018, 05:15 PM   #1
dmsprague
Registered Member

Help with icecap gyre 3k disassembly

Trying to clean mine and can not get the driver out. All the videos and info I can find look like a different version. Mine are only a month or so old. When I try to push it out like CV shows on the video it pushed a hole in the marker cap. I am pushing in the direction they say but tried the other direction as well. I am afraid of breaking it.

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2018, 05:17 PM   #2
dmsprague
Registered Member

Photos of both ends

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unread 09/01/2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Ccoffel81
Registered Member

Icecap or maxspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ccoffel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Ccoffel81
Registered Member

Put back together and run full blast in 100% vinegar for 30 minuets then try again.

Unread 09/02/2018, 08:03 AM   #5
dmsprague
Registered Member

icecap
I watched a couple of videos and I'm wondering if they changed the design because mine look different. I even tried pulling with pliers to the point I was afraid of breaking it.
Never thought to run it in vinegar. I guess I could do that next time since its back in the tank now.

Unread 09/02/2018, 02:05 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

Although mine are Maxspect, I know that to get the magnet out of the housing for cleaning can be very difficult. First you have to decide which side is molded and which come out. Covered in gunk it's not an easy task. Then you have to pull it apart. I use a pair of hemostats to get a death grip on it any wiggle it out a bit at a time. At least I know that I'll never hace to worry about it just flying apart on it's own!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 01:44 PM   #7
dmsprague
Registered Member

Thanks. I had a hold of it with a Leatherman which bite very strong and no go. Been wrenching for 30+ years so I kinda get a feeling when something is ready to break and that's the feeling I was getting so I stopped. It's quite now so I think I will wait until I have to get it apart and then try running it in vinegar like Ccoffe recommended

Unread 09/27/2018, 11:00 AM   #8
dmsprague
Registered Member

Anyone with a newer icecap gyre 3k able to get the driver out for cleaning. I bought a second one and like the first the driver will not come out. It looks different than the videos I've found showing disassembly.

Unread 09/27/2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Ccoffel81
Registered Member

Mines a maxspect sorry I soak when hard to disassemble

Unread 09/27/2018, 01:54 PM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

Maxspect here also, but I believe they are built the same. Only one side does the little spline piece come out of, then the motor block slides out that side.

From looking at your pics, I would say its the side in the second pic, but without it in my hands, it's hard to tell.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 06:26 PM   #11
dmsprague
Registered Member

So do I need to try to get a hold of the black piece which really is too small and recessed to get a grip on? I've tried pushing on the white shaft (?) and push it through from both directions and it doesn't move. Running it in vinegar and then soaking it didn't help either. I'm probably just missing something. Since I have 2 in the same tank I'm going to pull them tomorrow and swap impellers so they will run in true gyre mode so I'll have another go at it.

Unread 09/28/2018, 10:21 PM   #12
Ccoffel81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsprague View Post
So do I need to try to get a hold of the black piece which really is too small and recessed to get a grip on? I've tried pushing on the white shaft (?) and push it through from both directions and it doesn't move. Running it in vinegar and then soaking it didn't help either. I'm probably just missing something. Since I have 2 in the same tank I'm going to pull them tomorrow and swap impellers so they will run in true gyre mode so I'll have another go at it.

Can you grab small piece in question with needle nose pliers and pull?

Unread 09/29/2018, 07:17 AM   #13
dmsprague
Registered Member

I give up. I even got a brass drift and was tapping on it and it neither one of them will budge in either direction. I've wrenched for 32 years so I have a pretty decent feeling when something is going to break before it comes apart and that is where I'm at on these. I guess I'll just keep cleaning them as much as I can and when they get to the point I have to disassemble the driver or scrap them I'll be more force full and see what happens On another note I took both of them apart so I have 2 A impellers on one and 2 B impellers on the other and the flow is much nicer. Its a nice back and forth motion.

Unread 01/24/2021, 10:59 AM   #14
shaywood
Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with a newer IceCap 4k Gyre. The instruction video is pretty clear about how to remove, but I can't get it budge. I don't want to break it.

Unread 03/10/2021, 04:21 PM   #15
Snook65
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaywood View Post
I'm having the same problem with a newer IceCap 4k Gyre. The instruction video is pretty clear about how to remove, but I can't get it budge. I don't want to break it.
I have the same issue with both my 4K Gyre. I'm giving it a ton of force and can't get it to budge. I emailed Coral Vue support and this is the answer I received:

"You should not have to remove the impeller shaft during normal cleaning, only when replacing the shaft or the motor block bushings. To remove the shaft it will take a little force, I suggest holding the motor block in your hand with the shaft vertical and tapping the shaft on the side with "p" in the logo on a hard surface or tabletop, you might have to whack it pretty hard a couple times to get the bushing to move. I don't suggest doing this unless you have replacement shaft on hand in case the shaft breaks."

Snook65 is offline   Reply With Quote