Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2020, 09:24 PM   #1
collegereefs
Registered Member

Question Tuning Tank Parameters

I tested my, now, coral QT tank after letting it sit empty for a month after fish, below are the results:

Nitrate and PH measured using API tests. dKH, Magnesium, and Calcium measured using Red Sea Foundation Pro. Salinity measured by taste, or if you don't believe that a refractometer.

Nitrate ~0
Alk 10.4 DKH
Calcium 390
Mg 1320
ph ~8.4
Salinity 1.023

Compared to where I am planning on getting coral, my calcium is low, my Alk is high, and my salinity is low. These are the listed parameters listed on the website:

PH 7.8 to 8.3
Temp 75-82
Salinity 1.027
Alkalinity 6.5-8.5 DKH
Magnesium 1350
Calcium 420-440
Nitrate .01-10 ppm

What can I do to bring my alk down and calc up?

Last edited by collegereefs; 09/08/2020 at 09:47 PM.
collegereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2020, 02:43 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The alkalinity might drop on its own, given some time and some coralline algae growth. I'd let evaporation bring up the SG, and work from there. Calcium chloride is fine for dosing just calcium. That'll be useful to maintain and raise the calcium level while letting alkalinity fall.

Unread 09/15/2020, 11:12 AM   #3
clevername
Registered Member

Yes dont forget Coraline in a new tank will uptake ALK like crazy once its going. I was dropping 2DKH a day just from coraline (no corals in tank). If it was me for a fish only tank, id test and dose twice a week just to be safe starting out.
Since im going for stability and adding corals, then test the same time every day. Write it down.