Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2011, 07:37 AM   #26
fowldave
Registered Member

Hey guys sorry about no response, hectic few days at work and dealing with mr tang. I greatly appreciate the help from everyone and I think we are going somewhere and couldn't have done it without u guys.

So an update first: I did a third bath but this time around put him in a new tank(obviously making sure to aclimate correctly beforehand etc). He didn't take too well to the bath and I only kept him in for 2.5 minutes as a result. But the next day I noticed no black spots on him, but then started battling with him bc he didn't eat for 2 consequitive days. Finally got him to eat like a pig for one meal yesterday, but then started noticing black spots covering one side of his tail only (odd ??). So this morning he didn't eat again and I noticed his right gill stopped moving, but spots haven't gotten worse, just one side of his tail is covered still.

So I have prazipro on hand which contains a 5% solution of praziquizantel (or however u spell it). I will begin treatment tonight. Anyone have info on recommended dosage for this med and treating this worm? Otherwise I will just follow directions on package for bath and administer that in the qt. That would be fine correct?

Last question, can anyone confirm using prazipro with amquel +? All my bioloaded filter material has been used up because I have been taking it out of the QT with water/full tank changes so I minimze their pouplation.

Thanks and awaiting a response if someone has a minute.

fowldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 08:28 AM   #27
fowldave
Registered Member

Ok, I really can't shake this thing whatever it is and I don't think its black ich anymore.

I've had him on prazipro for 5 days now after I did another formalin/freshwater dip and a full tank swap. Three days later, guess what the spots are back, just as much as always. The other thing I noticed is that this thing doesn't have a life span similar to ich or black ich and therefore I don't think its it anymore. He will have the spots for 24-48 hours and then they all dissappear and then come back in 3-4 days (this is after I put him in a completely new tank after a formalin dip).

Other things I have noticed.
Last night his left gill wasn't moving much, this morning his right gill isn't moving much.
The area around the base of his front fins (sort like our armpit area) is orange sometimes when he is covered in his black spots.
The black spots never come in a few at a time, they cover his body and never his fins.
The day after a freshwater/formalin dip the black spots are gone.

Someone please help, I really can't get rid of this thing and am at a loss of what to do next :/

fowldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 08:56 AM   #28
sjwitt
Registered Member

First, let me say I haven't had experience with this type of disease, but do you think it's possible that all the back and forth, dips and returns to QT are actually exacerbating the problem by stressing the fish? I have used 2 products that seem to clear up white spot ... they are Herbtana for white spot and other parasitics, and Artemiss for bacterial diseases. I regularly use this for QT treatment (even if they show no signs) and immediately in the DT if I see anything that even looks like a spot on a fin. I have a mixed reef with all types of inverts and an anemone and no one/thing has had ill effects from the treatments.

I'm not saying this will solve your problem... just offering another option.

sjwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 12:47 PM   #29
Sk8r
RC Mod

Just a basic question---no sandbed or rock in that qt, right? If there are, it could be reinfesting from that source.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 12:57 PM   #30
125G Reefer
Moved On

Ya know guys. That if the fish eats and is healthy, he will get rid of the bacteria himself. Why stress the crap outta him?? And, the small items in the fish that I saw would not warrant a red alert and throw him into a FWD, just to stress him out more.....But, again, just my 2 cents from experience here.

125G Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 06:09 PM   #31
bertoni
RC Mod

Is the quarantine tank at SG 1.008 or so?

Unread 04/09/2011, 11:05 PM   #32
rodster912000
Registered Member

im a bit of a noob but i also had a battle with black ich. im thinking maybe you should make your qt into a hospital and dose the whole tank. i used organi-cure (which is a copper formaldihyde mix) did one drop per gal for 48 hour. after 48 hours i did a water change and redosed for another 48 hours. i did this 3 times for a total of 6 days and my fish no longer has black ich. hes looking good eating good and i think he may just be ready for the dt soon.

rodster912000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 09:37 AM   #33
fpv930
Reef Addict

FowlDave - I know I am very late to the thread. Just thought I would post to see how you did battling the black ich.
I am going through this right now with good success so far. FW dip (1) and QT tank with hyposalinity at 1.010. 82deg.

All is going well for two weeks.

fpv930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2014, 08:07 PM   #34
REEFconnection
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=687775

Look at
This tread

REEFconnection is offline   Reply With Quote