Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2017, 02:39 PM   #2501
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Michael, the seminole goby looks pretty sweet!

Thanks for the recommendation Sam. I'll have to check that out. I like the flexibility of changing the LED layout in case I move on to a reef tank later.

Jeffkrol from the planted tank forum suggested this light for this tank, which looks pretty good to me, if I don't move on to a reef:
http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_M...FILDPO-vi.html

The LED layout in this unit seems logical to me. What do you think?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 03:11 PM   #2502
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That link doesn't work, but I went to marine depot to find it. None of the lights had that configuration with the 4 reds, but what they did have did look good. In the video, they said these are the best LEDs around, so that's a pretty glowing review.

I don't envy you making this choice. As Run DMC once said, it's tricky!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 04:45 PM   #2503
sam.basye
Registered Member

Here's a quick example from my 2.5g with box light (4x 3w cool white and 1x 3w blue: WWBWW).

White and blue

White only - sweet finger trick. Lol.

Full comparison later this evening of the 26g..

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 08:13 PM   #2504
sam.basye
Registered Member

Alright, managed to get some pictures of the 26 - There's something new in it!

I took 5 pictures and morphed them into one

From left to right you get natural daylight to the generic blue iPhone picture. lol

Whites only

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/vySLzz3gTKA

This YouTube video is really good showing the different spectrum's you can get from a Radion. Keep in mind that this is the REEF model. After watching this, I don't see a reason to go for the freshwater model as the reef model seems more that adequate for a planted tank.
Radions are one of the best LED light on the market. If I wasn't poor, Id have the XR30 G5 PRO over my tank. I will have one over my next tank, whenever that happens. lol

As Michael well knows, I likes LED's! haha
I try to put them in everything if I can!

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 05/02/2017, 09:48 PM   #2505
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That spliced image is cool! From the vid, it looks like you can adjust the Radion really well.

Unread 05/02/2017, 10:37 PM   #2506
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I was laying on the couch, getting the full tank view, when I noticed a plume of sand rise up from the tallest rock of the DSB planter. It turned out that it was Tim, checking out some new digs. It's great to see him venturing about, just stay out of Big Daddy's way!

It's hard to tell in this zoomed pic, but he's really dinky. Lousy pic quality, but I didn't want to spook him by cleaning the glass.

I was hunting for spaghetti worms today, and I think I found another worm species. It's possible they are tiny serpent star arms, but the way they moved looked more worm-like, extending and contracting rather than unfurling. I suppose either one is good! More biodiversity in the sand bed - good!

I've got a couple plants coming from GCE thursday. One is dictoya, a plant many have sought to eradicate, but this particular species is not supposed to be invasive. I've tried this one before and my snails devoured it in less than two days. I'm hoping their love for the ulva will keep them at bay long enough for it to get established. I love how it moves in the current and its subtle color looks very natural.

The other is halimeda opuntia. This is the same species I ordered from reef cleaners, that was DOA and the wrong plant. This is a spreading, ground cover variety I hope to grow on the back wall.

Oh, I also want to note that ulva growth now seems to outpace predation.

Unread 05/03/2017, 06:24 AM   #2507
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Tim looks proud of his new construction! Very cool. Yeah, he is tiny, wow! But, that is good because you get to see him for an entire life span pretty much.

Very cool that the Ulva growth is outpacing predation. It's a bonus to have a renewable food source. Can't wait to see all of your new plants, sponges, tunicates and worms take hold in this tank. It should be exciting.

Sam, thanks for the light info and video. It looks like the white only and the 100% blue/100% white almost look the same, interesting. Does it look like that in real life too? So you think that I should get the reef Radion light as opposed to the FW version? I like the flexibility of using it on a reef later.

Here's the link, not sure what I did to mess it up:
http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_M...FILDPO-vi.html

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump

Last edited by Chasmodes; 05/03/2017 at 06:31 AM.
Unread 05/03/2017, 08:13 AM   #2508
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think the reef version as well. That big red peak in the FW version is not necessary for good plant growth. In Daiana Walstead's book, they tested various lights, including grow lights with the red peak, on plant growth. They were somewhat surprised to find that plants did best under 55k daylight.

Yes, with the tank back up to normal (for me) salinity, the ulva is growing, rather than gradually shrinking. I look forward to posting pics of all the new life too. The seagrasses are the slowest to rebound. I read something that makes me think the plant tabs I added a month ago aren't helping. I can't remember exactly, but it had something to do with the chemical form working for terrestrial plants but not submerged ones. I'll have to look for a better one. The reason I think they could be helpful is that seagrasses, like other higher plants, prefer root uptake of phosphate. So I was trying to give them what they want.

Tim is still there on top of the tallest rock, this morning. Such a brave little guy…TIMMAH!

Unread 05/03/2017, 08:24 AM   #2509
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Yes, with the tank back up to normal (for me) salinity, the ulva is growing, rather than gradually shrinking. I look forward to posting pics of all the new life too. The seagrasses are the slowest to rebound. I read something that makes me think the plant tabs I added a month ago aren't helping. I can't remember exactly, but it had something to do with the chemical form working for terrestrial plants but not submerged ones. I'll have to look for a better one. The reason I think they could be helpful is that seagrasses, like other higher plants, prefer root uptake of phosphate. So I was trying to give them what they want.
Of course, I'm watching intently to see what happens because I'll be doing very similar stuff. Even more reason for me to increase salinity once I have my fish stocked. I can always set up a QT tank, if not to just treatment of diseases, but also to acclimate fish and other critters to salinity over a longer period of time.

As far as my lighting choice goes, I need to double check my finances to see if I can swing it, or make sure that I can rather. But, I guess this is my dream tank, so I should not skimp.

Quote:
TIMMAH!
This cracks me up!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/03/2017, 08:45 AM   #2510
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Not to complicate the issue, but did you see Ron Reefman's post in BonesCJ's thread on lighting? Here's the link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=233

If you decide not to spend the big bucks, those look to be some good options.

I'm VERY excited to see what you come up with, Chasmodes! It's going to be cool!

Unread 05/03/2017, 01:07 PM   #2511
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael, and also for the link (except I couldn't get it to work). But, I'll find Ron's thread and read through it before I make a decision.

Another thing that I want is the colors of my fish to really pop (some don't have much, but most have a little bright coloration). Have you ever seen tanks that have nice lights but the fish don't look as colorful as they could be because the light is directly overhead and the side of the fish is shaded, making them look kind of dull?

Back in the day I had a 55 gallon FO tank, and I noticed that I could get a really spectacular display of color on my fish if I took my fluorescent light off the top of the tank and shined it from the front (kind of above my head down through the front glass through to the fish), almost like if you've ever taken a photo with a flash of brightly colored fish. I think that no matter what tank light I get, I want to supplement it with a ceiling light fixture (like track lighting) or something to get that same effect. I don't need it on constantly, but only when I'm in the room or someone enjoying the tank. If it works out the way that I think that it would, then I'll do the same thing with my FW tank. I figure that I could just swap out the recessed lighting for a fixture.

For example, my first store bought saltwater fish was a blue devil. They're bright already with the light over top of the tank, but when it was lit from the side, it looked like blue glowing fire, spectacular. Anyway, sorry to ramble.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/03/2017, 03:01 PM   #2512
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It's BonesCJ's thread, "Lighting Question", here in the plant forum. Ron's post, in that thread, had the link to his experience with LED lights. It's very insightful.

I totally get what you're trying to accomplish with the blue light. That 'pop' will make even the dullest fish prettier. An actinic LED strip light, mounted at the front rim of the tank, and angled towards the back should do it. Then you have your daylight light lighting the plants and the rest of the tank.

It's kind of like the 'magic hour' for photographers, sunrise and sunset, where everything photos better, because of the angle and color of the light.

Unread 05/03/2017, 09:22 PM   #2513
sam.basye
Registered Member

I would definitely get the reef version, Chasmodes.
I don't see any real benefit with the FW over the Reef model.

... ****. After looking at the spliced pic, the middle and second from left got switched..

50/50

100% white / 50 % blue

White only

White only ends up more yellow without the blues. The blues ironically make the tank "whiter" up to the 50/50 point. Beyond that, the tank turns more blue.

Having a bow front tank, I ran into the issue you described with fish color. Back in the day I had a blue/green chromis that looked great shimmering under my light... until is swam up front to the bowed part where it turned dull. This is because my light is centered with the rectangular shape of the tank behind the bowed part. Anytime the fish came forward of that line the light only hit the back side of the first, not the front.
Placing the light further forward and angling it back slightly will help.

But then again, sounds like your migrating towards a reef tank. Lol
The oyster reefs are a rather dull, aren't they? Obviously, no one wants​ a dull tank, but before you know it you end up straying away from the true biotope and BAM! Reef Tank

Foam Wall
Unread 05/03/2017, 10:55 PM   #2514
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Is it possible the first two are switched? It seems odd that the 50/50 would be brighter than the 100/50.

I think his oyster reef will be colorful and beautiful and unique!

Unread 05/03/2017, 11:28 PM   #2515
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it possible the first two are switched? It seems odd that the 50/50 would be brighter than the 100/50.

I think his oyster reef will be colorful and beautiful and unique!
Sorry, needed better clarification..
50/50 is 100% intensity on both channels.

I picture an oyster reef as being lots of dull shades of gray (oyster shells) in particulate rich, almost murky, water with ~55k sunlight. Most of the blennies in the stocking list are different shades of gray.
Plants will help to brighten and contrast the shells. Also, if you can find some calliactis tricolor anemones or sea pansies or yellow/red/purple sea whips, you can add a lot of color while maintaining the true biotope.

It's definitely a cool concept! One day I'd like to make a biotope for fiddler crabs in a long tank that is essentially a beach with a little wave-like action...
The wife might have to die before that happens though. Lol

Foam Wall
Unread 05/04/2017, 06:55 AM   #2516
Chasmodes
Registered Member

This tank will always be the Bay biotope, but as I move more to the saltier water, I'll collect further South where I can get tropical strays, sea whips, different macros, different more colorful anemones, and red and yellow sponges. It won't be as colorful as a reef, but much more than you'd expect.

As far as the species found in the lower salinities where I'll be collecting, the male Chasmodes blennies are quite colorful in their breeding colors, sporting a bright blue spot on the dorsal fin, orange and blue along the dorsal and anal fins, a dash of red, the operculum gets splashed with orange, all on a brownish/tan background with horizontal tan stripes (see my avatar). The females are always gray and brown with light tan horizontal stripes.

Mature feather blenny males also have that bright blue spot along with bright orange thick cirri (look like orange horns or carrots), but the females are tan, brown and white.

Naked goby males also get a tint of red on their fins during spawning. Male sticklebacks can get quite colorful too.

Anyway, color in this tank is cool, and I'd like to show off as much as I can, but it's the fish personalities and antics along with other unusual tank creatures that will make this tank interesting.

However, you're correct about my desire for a reef, but it won't be this tank. This is another reason that I'm interested in anything Caribbean, like Michael's tank, because I'd like another biotope to work on. If I get a tank like that, I'd like the show fish to be a queen angelfish as I'm fascinated by them. That is where a light like the one that you recommended will really be nice to have. I can always buy a cheaper one for the Bay tank.

That said, ultimately, I can see having a smaller Pacific reef tank too, all depends on finances and space in the house. A larger sized cube nano tank might be the ticket for that. I'd drool if I could have one as nice as your tank Sam.

So, if I hit the lotto, I'd have all of these

And if I'm dreaming, a jawfish tank like ThRoewer has would be cool too with a bunch of sailfin or barnacle blennies. I love that tank.

Sorry to hijack your thread Michael

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/04/2017, 06:59 AM   #2517
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.basye View Post
The wife might have to die before that happens though. Lol

...or just make sure you keep up on your honey-do's LOL

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/04/2017, 07:02 AM   #2518
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
However, you're correct about my desire for a reef, but it won't be this tank. This is another reason that I'm interested in anything Caribbean, like Michael's tank, because I'd like another biotope to work on. If I get a tank like that, I'd like the show fish to be a queen angelfish as I'm fascinated by them. That is where a light like the one that you recommended will really be nice to have. I can always buy a cheaper one for the Bay tank.
I've talked about this dream before, but there used to be a cool Caribbean reef to lagoon tank at the DC Smithsonian Natural Museum of History that had a huge bucket dump wavemaker where fish could pass through the reef rock structure to the lagoon. It was really cool. I could see doing that but also incorporating Michael's concept with the mangrove lagoon, a tank large enough for a queen angelfish to thrive. I'm going to get a lotto subscription, now that I'm all fired up.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/04/2017, 10:51 AM   #2519
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great discussion, guys! Don't worry about the hijack. However…

I started this thread MONTHS before I had the tank set up, and there was so much to discuss! Chasmodes, I think you are now in that place, so I think you should start your very own thread. You'll be free to ramble on in any direction you want and not feel guilty for camping out here.

If it were me, I would be bummed that all of this great discussion and history of my tank, was on someone else's thread! So, I'm not suggesting this for me, I'm suggesting it for you. Well, it's kind of for me, because I look forward to reading another tank thread similar to mine!

Also, not having your own thread indicates a lack of commitment. Are you really going to build an oyster reef tank? I really don't know! Prove it…

Unread 05/04/2017, 11:43 AM   #2520
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Great discussion, guys! Don't worry about the hijack. However…

I started this thread MONTHS before I had the tank set up, and there was so much to discuss! Chasmodes, I think you are now in that place, so I think you should start your very own thread. You'll be free to ramble on in any direction you want and not feel guilty for camping out here.

If it were me, I would be bummed that all of this great discussion and history of my tank, was on someone else's thread! So, I'm not suggesting this for me, I'm suggesting it for you. Well, it's kind of for me, because I look forward to reading another tank thread similar to mine!

Also, not having your own thread indicates a lack of commitment. Are you really going to build an oyster reef tank? I really don't know! Prove it…

Preach it Michael!

I agree 100%. Michael is usually nuts, but has a good point.
He pushed me to make my own build thread and it's very convenient being able to look back where all the tank information and history are in one place. Even if no one responds to your posts, it acts as a journal to document the progress and things you have tried. Not to mention before and after pics are pretty cool.

I wish I had done this for my 4Runner in the T4R.org forum because I can't remember when I upgraded parts or how old things are because my laptop crashed and I lost a spreadsheet with all that info.
You can save ideas as well for later use.

Everything is in one convenient place. A great example is let's say Michael wants to look back at all the times he's shoved a plant tab in the DSB, or mentioned the words "plant tab" in his thread. There's a hundred plages to sift through, but it's all documented in here somewhere and he can go back and see what worked and what didn't work instead of trying something again that didn't work just because he can't remember. Lol

Make one!

That makes two swift kicks in the ... right direction

Foam Wall
Unread 05/04/2017, 11:55 AM   #2521
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sure, I'm nuts, he says, as he's sewing LEDs into his wife's lingerie…

Unread 05/04/2017, 11:56 AM   #2522
sam.basye
Registered Member

Caribbean Biotope Seagrass Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post

...or just make sure you keep up on your honey-do's LOL

I've been told numerous times that if my wife dies before me, I'm not allowed to get remarried. Lol
My response is always - I'll just replace you with fish tanks! Haha
I think she's okay with that...

I wouldn't be surprised if you had the Calliactis tricolor anemones, sea pansies, and sea whips natively in the MD bay areas. I've never been north of SC for beach trips, but I assume it's pretty much the same as the VA, NC, SC coast. I have found (live) big yellow Sea whips in the intertidal inlets in SC where the water was cold around October.
I only find the tricolor nems washed up on the beach, but they live symbiotically with the thin stripe hermits that live in the intertidal estuaries.
I caught some baby northern Atlantic puffers and baby filefish last year and found a little Atlantic pistol shrimp.
I've never seen any blennies though.

Foam Wall

Last edited by sam.basye; 05/04/2017 at 12:46 PM.
Unread 05/04/2017, 11:58 AM   #2523
sam.basye
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure, I'm nuts, he says, as he's sewing LEDs into his wife's lingerie…
I'll add that to the list!

Foam Wall
Unread 05/04/2017, 01:21 PM   #2524
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks guys, points taken, and I agree. I actually do have a build thread, it's just that I haven't posted on it in a while because I didn't have anything to really update on.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=839286

But, yes, the lighting discussion should have been there. I definitely will post as I complete my purchases, should be this weekend. I just didn't think that I should post there without a good reason to do so, but asking questions are good reasons, so I goofed up there.

I think that the reason that I've talked about it so much here is that there are similarities between your tank (Michael) and mine, and also a little with Sam's since he kept a sheepshead minnow and it's possible that I might too.

Thanks again for your patience with me and also for answering my questions both here and elsewhere.

Now, back to your tank Michael. What's next?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/04/2017, 01:41 PM   #2525
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's right, you DO have a thread! You should post something to get it moved back up the list.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the discussion! Can't wait to see more!

What's next for me is two new plants come in today! Tim is still hangin' in his new spot. I've seen a few spaghetti worms! Hallelujah!

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass