Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2006, 08:00 PM   #26
Dirtball
Registered Member

Richard if they have any nice Florida rics that I wouldnt have to fight Lisa over I would be glad to get a couple of them and make it fair to you when you get back. Thanks Brandon

Current Tank Info: 24 gallon aquapod just getting started.
Dirtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2006, 11:41 PM   #27
masterswimmer
Registered Member.

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Great commentary. Thank you for taking the time to keep the rest of the reefing world abreast of all the happenings. Have fun.

swimmer

Current Tank Info: 75 10ecor, SLS TEK 6 x 54w T-5, Lifereef sump & VS2-24" skimmer, 15 gal. AGA fuge
masterswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2006, 03:58 PM   #28
Fragmented
Registered Member

Have the results of the salt study been revealed by Eric Borneman yet?

Fragmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2006, 05:39 PM   #29
crpeck
Premium Member

Wow, Richard.

Seems you're the star reporter for all of Reef Central at MACNA this year. There are at least 2 links to this thread from the general forums and you've got over 860 views here.

Okay West Tennessee reefers .... we'd better behave for a little while since we've got RC'ers from all over checking into our forum right now.

Maybe they'll like Dave's tank sitting tips.

crpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2006, 05:53 PM   #30
Fragmented
Registered Member

Found the results here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=936493

Fragmented is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 01:36 AM   #31
melev
Moved On

Great pictures. Good job!

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 10:09 AM   #32
bshumake
Registered Member

Hey everyone. I drove in straight from Houston last night. 11 hours straight. I left at about 6PM and got in at 5AM this morning. This being my first MACNA I absolutely had a great time. Driving sucks a bit but I got all my orals home and the floated till now. I'm acclimating and dipping. Well, I was the big winner of the raffel for our club. I won an Blue maxima, an Eric Borneman frag pack (5 pieces) and the piece de resistance... a pair of ORA Picasso Clowns. The pair that they were gonna give me were dead-ish so the Sales manager Vince Rado graceously offered to send me a pair once he got back home. Thank you very much Vince, i'm on pins and needles for your e-mail!
I also got some samples from Blue Life (a company based in LA) for Phosphate remover and Aptasia control (it also works on Majano for a complete kill). Being a medical technologis with an extensive background in organic chemistry I spent probably an hour talking to them and I'm really interested in their product line. Its not out in full circulation but I'm really looking forward to what they have to offer! All of the vendors were really pleasant and many made donations (and more plan on making some) to our St Jude Project! I'll post more later on that!

Current Tank Info: 90 Reef, 440W of T5, blah, blah
bshumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 10:14 AM   #33
crpeck
Premium Member

WOW! Congratulations Barrett!

Does the color form on the Picasso Clowns pass on to the babies?

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 40/AI Hydra 26
crpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 10:22 AM   #34
bshumake
Registered Member

1-2%
The other 99-98% are regular Osc.

Unread 09/25/2006, 10:30 AM   #35
eyebedam
Is Sailing the Seas

those pics are fraggin sweet.

“I’ve always believed that America’s government was a unique political system — one designed by geniuses so that it could be run by idiots. I was wrong. No system can be smart enough to survive this level of incompetence and recklessness by the people charged to run it."

Thomas Friedman, NY Times

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal plumbed in the basement with 200 gal sump. Decided to go aggressive from this point on.
eyebedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 11:20 AM   #36
Tomzpc
Registered Member

Excellent shots Richard! Thanks for sharing and for getting a couple with us HVRK guys in there! =) I remember when you took that pic by the Deltec booth and thinking "we were in that guy's shot". LOL.

Tomzpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 02:27 PM   #37
Apon
Registered Member

great pics! which vendor had all those clams?

Arnold
BAR Member

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon soft coral reef/ 120 galon mixed reef tank
Apon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 02:40 PM   #38
eddybabyhd
RC Sponsor

reefsavers

eddybabyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 03:28 PM   #39
original-reefland
Reefer

Anyone have issues getting critters home with the "no liquids" restrictions on the airlines?

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.

Current Tank Info: 180G Oceanic SPS/Clams/LPS, AB Aquaspace Light 3x250w AB 14K HQI with 4x24w PC Actinic, 2x80w T5, Dual Tunze 6100 and Vortec (10,000 GPH), Euro Reef RC-500 Skimmer.
original-reefland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 04:07 PM   #40
scarson61
Registered Member

Rich, here was our synopsis of getting the corals on the airline-- Overall a good experience:

We had to check the corals since they were in liquid. The ticket counter person asked us what was perishable in our boxes. She didn't blink an eye when we told her it was corals and she then proceeded to put extra tape on the boxes for us!. Our luggage was too heavy to fit the styrofoam coral boxes, so the boxes went as a separate piece of luggage. We did have a some leakage which I believe was caused by the pressure changes and not by rough handling. The bags containing the corals were pretty taut so when the pressure changed I think it caused some of the bags to 'pop' and get holes in them, however each baggy still contained at least a little water. I'm not sure how to avoid this--thicker bags maybe. Regardless of this, the corals made it home safely and are doing great in our tanks

scarson61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 06:29 PM   #41
Rendos
Registered Member

Glad I could go, and share with everyone who did not attend.
I drove so I do not have any commentary on the airlines handling of live goods. I do have a couple of comments...

First - MARSH - great job on just about everything involved with this MACNA. The hotel, and facilities were top notch. The vendor area was great...lots of vendors with lots of great stuff to show. I noticed a lot of companies showing their edgeless tanks, the Jelliquarium was cool, the trimless tanks (euro style) are finally making an appearance here in the states. I love 'em. Food was good, presenters/speakers were excellent. Wish I knew more Spanish as Houston (much like the rest of the country) is full of Spanish speaking people.

One place that I think everyone was a bit disappointed...RAFFLES. The prizes were great, but I think it would behouv future MACNA hosts to only allow ONE winner per raffle. If you were there you know what I am talking about. EuroReef generously donated a whopping 55 protein skimmers to the raffle, but one individual won 12-15 of those. He placed all his tickets in the bowl for that raffle. It was funny the first time, second time, and maybe slightly humorous the third time, but by the 4th, 5th, 12th, etc. time it was disheartening to the rest of us who did not win.

I hope MARSH will not take this in a bad way...it was not their fault that this happened, but for future shows, PLEASE change the way this is handled.

Vendors of live stock - please take note.
Extreme Corals had a system of tagging the items that were sold for those who were not picking up items until the end of the show...many others did not. There were a few issues of people coming back to pick up their items, and they were given to someone else. This is an easy fix. Give people receipts.

Kudos to Extreme Corals for their professionalism in this area. They seemed to be the most organized.

Now - on to what I picked up. : )
********** - Acropora plana...SWEET! I love it.
Coral Dynamics - Blue Ridge coral, red table acro, and Monti Vietnamensis. Sweet!
The guy selling Bermuda skimmers - Platygyra, and really sweet Monti sp. - sorry I forgot your name, and the company name, but I really enjoyed talking with you and your wife(?) throughout the show.
ReefSavers - nice pink zoos with grey skirt. Really nice.
P.S. - credit to you for bringing the Clams. Clams Direct was mentioned during the raffle for bringing the clams....it was not Clams Direct.
MARSH - Nice yellow Porites.
Extreme Corals - 5 items. Huge piece of Monti. (green with blue polyps), Superman Monti frag, Poker Stars Monti frag, and a couple of others. (like Acropora Sarmentosa frag - drool)

Thanks to all the vendors, all the speakers, all the attendees, and most of all to MARSH. This was a HUGE undertaking, and you deserve recognition.

Richard

Current Tank Info: 92 gallon corner bowfront
Rendos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 07:41 PM   #42
Rendos
Registered Member

Forgot someone.
Aquarium Specialty - Purple Monti digitata, and Purple w/green polyp acro.

Current Tank Info: 92 gallon corner bowfront
Rendos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2006, 07:46 PM   #43
original-reefland
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rendos
EuroReef generously donated a whopping 55 protein skimmers to the raffle, but one individual won 12-15 of those. He placed all his tickets in the bowl for that raffle. It was funny the first time, second time, and maybe slightly humorous the third time, but by the 4th, 5th, 12th, etc. time it was disheartening to the rest of us who did not win.
That happened at IMAC this year as well in raffle with Ora items. Some guy won something around 60% of the clams raffled and when we had a sigh of relief from another name drawn.... it was his girlfriend/partner.

Really annoying.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.

Current Tank Info: 180G Oceanic SPS/Clams/LPS, AB Aquaspace Light 3x250w AB 14K HQI with 4x24w PC Actinic, 2x80w T5, Dual Tunze 6100 and Vortec (10,000 GPH), Euro Reef RC-500 Skimmer.
original-reefland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2006, 01:11 AM   #44
just dave
11th in '11

IMO if the tickets were purchased and the drawing of said tickets was on the up and up, it's fair. Disheartening perhaps but fair. I mean if someone spends hundreds of dollars on tickets and places them all in one bowl he's going to have a better chance as opposed to someone who purchases the same amount of tickets and spreads them around or someone who purchases fewer tickets. We all know that. What would really be disheartening is to have purchased a lot of tickets and won nothing while standing next to someone who only purchased one ticket and did win something.

just dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2006, 05:18 AM   #45
bshumake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
IMO if the tickets were purchased and the drawing of said tickets was on the up and up, it's fair. Disheartening perhaps but fair.
I think what Richard is getting at here is this guy is a store owner. When others are looking to win to benefit themselves and their system, thats one thing. But when you get 1/3rd of the same prize? Honestly, whats one person gonna do with 15 of the exact type of skimmer? I know. It'll be on his shelves for full price. It was fantastic for someone to have donated items like that, but next time I won't bother wasting my tickets on that item.

Unread 09/26/2006, 07:57 AM   #46
just dave
11th in '11

Quote:
Originally posted by bshumake
I think what Richard is getting at here is this guy is a store owner. When others are looking to win to benefit themselves and their system, thats one thing. But when you get 1/3rd of the same prize? Honestly, whats one person gonna do with 15 of the exact type of skimmer? I know. It'll be on his shelves for full price. It was fantastic for someone to have donated items like that, but next time I won't bother wasting my tickets on that item.

My point was that there is really nothing that can be done about that kind of thing happening without doing something that would be unfair or by limiting the number of tickets one can purchase or enter into any given drawing. Limiting the tickets would run counter to the goals of the raffle by limiting the revenue it generates and I think ,that in this case ,the revenue was given to a charity.

I certainly wouldn't let it sour an otherwise wonderful conference.

Who knows, maybe he is going to use them himself. Been by Lisa's place ( aka Seaworld Mississippi ) lately? It's possible.

just dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2006, 08:29 AM   #47
bshumake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
My point was that there is really nothing that can be done about that kind of thing happening without doing something that would be unfair or by limiting the number of tickets one can purchase or enter into any given drawing. Limiting the tickets would run counter to the goals of the raffle by limiting the revenue it generates and I think ,that in this case ,the revenue was given to a charity.

I certainly wouldn't let it sour an otherwise wonderful conference.

Who knows, maybe he is going to use them himself. Been by Lisa's place ( aka Seaworld Mississippi ) lately? It's possible.
Oh I understand what you're getting at. I did have a great time and I'm glad i went. Course, after that I'm glad i only put 5 tickets into that pot though. And yeah, it would make things difficult to moniter. I haven't been to Lisea World lately but hearing them talk about it I immagine its hard to sleep with the constant crash of water.

Unread 09/26/2006, 01:50 PM   #48
ShaneV
Registered Member

Quote:

One place that I think everyone was a bit disappointed...RAFFLES. The prizes were great, but I think it would behouv future MACNA hosts to only allow ONE winner per raffle. If you were there you know what I am talking about. EuroReef generously donated a whopping 55 protein skimmers to the raffle, but one individual won 12-15 of those. He placed all his tickets in the bowl for that raffle. It was funny the first time, second time, and maybe slightly humorous the third time, but by the 4th, 5th, 12th, etc. time it was disheartening to the rest of us who did not win.

I hope MARSH will not take this in a bad way...it was not their fault that this happened, but for future shows, PLEASE change the way this is handled.

Thanks to all the vendors, all the speakers, all the attendees, and most of all to MARSH. This was a HUGE undertaking, and you deserve recognition.

Richard

Thanks for the support we appreciate it.

About the raffle, Im not sure what could be done to prevent this issue. The raffle was already almost 2 hours long, if we had to confirm single winners for items it probally would have added another hour to the process! It also wouldnt stop someone from splitting it amongst a bunch of buddys to accomplish the same thing! Im not sure on an answer here, but its something for PMASI to think about for next year!

Unread 09/26/2006, 10:17 PM   #49
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Hey Richard,

Glad you like the porites! That is me in the MARSH frag booth! The big tall guy with the big belly!

This MACNA was SOOOO much fun, but I don't want to work the next one, I want to just watch presentations and get more cool free stuff and fabulous products at good prices

Now to figure out how to get to Pittsburgh cheaply

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
BrianPlankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2006, 06:11 AM   #50
marinelife
Registered Member

I can not wait until next year, I am only a 4 hour drive from Pittsburgh

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote