Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Johny123
Registered Member

Bubble Tip Anemone is shrinking (out of no where)

I've had my bubble tip anemone for several months. My tank is close to two years old. Nitrates and ammonia is undetectable, salinity is 1.026, temperature is 78, pH is 8.2.

This anemone looked so amazing, huge magnificent! I couldn't believe how well it was doing. Then, about 3 days ago I noticed it wasn't perking up as big when the lights came on...today it looks like a baby version of its former self.

The only thing I've done differently is I did start feeding a few myssis shrimp maybe 1-2x per week. It also started to move around a few weeks ago, looking for new spots (which I'm assuming means it wasn't happy).

Here are two pictures (before and after). It isn't a great comparison, because of the difference in color but I guess you can get the idea (you can see the difference in comparison to the clownfish)

IMG_6086 IMG_6544

What do I do? Do I feed it some miss shrimp?

Johny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have an identical problem, same nem, same time, and even worse, a couple of days ago it shrunk to a golf ball and came off the rock.
Even worse, I replaced it last week, and the new one is doing same.

Now sometimes, they will just shrink up for a few days, then return to normal.

They don't need regular feedings so for now, let him be.

So I will tag along here to see....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Johny123
Registered Member

I hate to say it man but this forum feels deader than dead. I’d imagine on some saltwater aquarium forum on Facebook I’d have dozens of responses by now.

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:48 PM   #4
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny123 View Post
I've had my bubble tip anemone for several months. My tank is close to two years old. Nitrates and ammonia is undetectable, salinity is 1.026, temperature is 78, pH is 8.2.

This anemone looked so amazing, huge magnificent! I couldn't believe how well it was doing. Then, about 3 days ago I noticed it wasn't perking up as big when the lights came on...today it looks like a baby version of its former self.

The only thing I've done differently is I did start feeding a few myssis shrimp maybe 1-2x per week. It also started to move around a few weeks ago, looking for new spots (which I'm assuming means it wasn't happy).

Here are two pictures (before and after). It isn't a great comparison, because of the difference in color but I guess you can get the idea (you can see the difference in comparison to the clownfish)

IMG_6086 IMG_6544

What do I do? Do I feed it some miss shrimp?
Hi there! Your parameters look good. I would not feed it for now until it opens up more. As long as he is still attached to a rock, and his mouth is not gaping I would just keep a eye on him.

I have several RBT and a S. Haddoni. The RBT nems every now and then have shrunk up on me, but they would be back to normal in a few days. I only feed my nems Mysis every few weeks. I don't keep clowns though.

Just a thought.....do you think your clown is irritating the nem? Clowns can be hard on nems.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 07:41 PM   #5
cuadradoa1
Registered Member

I’m having same issue with mine and we’ve got something in common. I fed mine my sis shrimp as well; and now it went to hide in the back and looks just like yours. Maybe they got annoyed?

cuadradoa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 03:32 PM   #6
jmareef1022
Registered Member

Give it more time, maybe it wants to split.

jmareef1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Cancun
Registered Member

Any update from the OP?

Unread 08/29/2018, 07:19 PM   #8
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
Any update from the OP?

A few days after this post it returned to its former glory and is bigger and more robust than ever. What a strange thing. I was starting to worry he was a goner.

I’ve added weekly music shrimp feedings. Once a week. Seems to like it.

Yeah. He’s bigger than ever. Looks awsome.

Unread 08/29/2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny123 View Post
A few days after this post it returned to its former glory and is bigger and more robust than ever. What a strange thing. I was starting to worry he was a goner.

I’ve added weekly music shrimp feedings. Once a week. Seems to like it.

Yeah. He’s bigger than ever. Looks awsome.
Yea! Good to hear!!! Do you have any pics?

Unread 08/30/2018, 05:13 AM   #10
Johny123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
Yea! Good to hear!!! Do you have any pics?

F1_C9241_E_D451_4380_A5_E7_7_DE520_BFA050 FE0362_AC_99_E4_4_AFF_9_AE3_CBAC898_DBE57

74_BA4_C33_6660_4_FEF_A831_457_EB4_EBA2_E6 A4_A345_F6_B4_C2_421_D_851_B_760897_CC7084

It’s early morning, lights went on an hour ago...so in a few hours he is even bigger. But doing great as you can see.

(After a few hours of light he gets enormous)

Last edited by Johny123; 08/30/2018 at 05:20 AM.