Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2016, 10:48 AM   #1
RadagastWizard
Registered Member

Marineland durability

Hi guys so I decided on a marine land 220. I was looking into miracles but I could save almost 2000$ with marineland.

Anyways, my question is if I do an external c2c overflow will it compromise a marine land tank? I plan to put supports under the box so it's not "pulling" on the back wall

RadagastWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2016, 02:49 PM   #2
HaleMoana
Registered Member

It'll be fine. I have a custom 220 by Marineland and I installed a beananimal on the side with the external glass box. It is flawless.

Check my build if you wanna see pics...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1983314

Current Tank Info: Custom Starphire 220 In Wall Wrasse Retreat
HaleMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2016, 11:41 AM   #3
vashawn
Registered Member

honestly i had problem with there 265 leaking. they did replace it 2x but it s so frustrating when u have a tank up and running and then have to go through this.
funny thing is both tanks leaked at the same place. under the right side brace
but they do have excellent customer service from my experience and there tanks are life time warranty

Current Tank Info: 300gal reef
vashawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Mpek
Registered Member

I've had two Marineland tanks. The first was a 150 long that the back glass panel cracked from the overflow to the center of the rear panel. I then upgraded to a 300DD where the silicone holding the tank together gave way 10 months after being installed. 70k worth of damage to my house that I'm still dealing with. It's been over a year since that disaster where I had to hire an attorney to fight my insurance company to fix my house.
My advice is...spend the money on a tank that is built by a reputable company that makes their tanks strong. Don't get a tank to just save money.
You have to take into consideration that Marineland is a very large company. Most of their tanks sit on shelves until they are ready to be sold. They also mass produce them which means that they don't spend the extra time to make them last.
Think about it. I've made the same mistake twice and it cost me approx. 100k (not exaggerated). I don't mean to rain on your parade but I'd feel pretty crappy if I didn't say something and you experience what some of us have.

Mpek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Hulkster
Registered Member

Aqueon if you want off the shelf tank that won't leak.. larger tanks are better built than marineland tanks and don't leak. when people are having marineland tanks leak and then the replacement from them is also leaking its more than just a fluke. that's scary. on these boards there are lots of marineland problems lately but very few if any Aqueon problems, at least on the larger tanks. but for custom work, miracles is tops they say. good luck with whichever one you pick. congrats!

Hulkster is offline   Reply With Quote