Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2015, 02:53 PM   #1
sealtea116
Registered Member

Sump marcoaglae

I have read so much about macro Algae and which ones and I just get even more confused on what to get I have a sump with a refuge in and I want to get plants to help out my tank I don't know if size of sump matters or how much sand and live rock I have if someone can help that would be great I know there is so much info in here if someone can just tell me what to get and why that would be great or even a place I can buy thanks so much for all your help

sealtea116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 04:18 PM   #2
dendrite
Registered Member

probably any sump size between 25% ofthe display tank and the sky's the limit would be helpful. You need a separate area with constant depth for your protein skimmer, and a final chamber for your return pump. A separate area for the refugium and lights is important so that macroalgae doesn't fowl the return pump. I would avoid sand as there is no way to clean it and it becomes a sink for organic waste. A healthy amount of live rock could be anywhere from 1/2 lb to 1 lb./sump volume, and I would stick with chaetomorphia for macroalgae. You can probably get a starter from a lfs, fellow hobbyist or online such as ReefCleaners. Finnex sells reasonable refugia lights or better yet shop lights with LED bulbs at 5000 or 6000 K 90 or 120 watt equivalents from Home Depot.

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 05:01 PM   #3
sealtea116
Registered Member

thanks for your comments im looking more on the macro algae side i have the sump and lights and sand and live rock already i just didnt know if your suppose to have a certain amount of macro algae per gallon sorry i worded it wrong but that was still good imput i was looking at chaetom at my LFS but was wounder about shave brush or mangroves and stuff like that i just dont know what is best and the more i read the more it says lol

Unread 02/08/2015, 07:12 PM   #4
andresht
Registered Member

Chaeto is right........, and I think everyone here who have used it have started with a small ball of chaetto. I think initially the size is not important, the macro will grow if the conditions exist for it and then you'll have to prune to export nutrients.

Particularly I keep the chaeto so widespread and uncompressed so that there is good circulation and lighting.

andresht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2015, 10:15 PM   #5
sealtea116
Registered Member

Could I use a emeralds crab to eat the chaeto or is it best to trim

Unread 02/12/2015, 02:38 PM   #6
novadan67
Registered Member

You want to trim. That is the whole point of chaeto, to REMOVE nutrients from your system. If something eats it, those nutrients will get pooped back into the system (and I don't think emerald crabs will eat chaeto).

novadan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 02:40 PM   #7
ajespo85
Espo

+1 Chaeto. No crabs needed. Just trim and maybe give someone a baggy of chaeto if it gets too crazy.

ajespo85 is offline   Reply With Quote