Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/19/2018, 06:33 PM   #26
OrionN
Anemones

Here he is today. Quite a bit more colorful than when he was first placed in my tank 1 month ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SailfinFW2018021901Resized.jpg (67.7 KB, 612 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 07:48 PM   #27
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
These were first offered widely about a year and a half ago. They tend to lose the blue chin in captivity just a FYI.
Is that due to food or some other missing thing in wild vs captivity?

Also - dumb question for anyone - do wrasses require net / screen for all or just specific types? I've been considering one or possibly two and not sure. I like the flame wrasse (is that the name) but may wait a bit due to the price. I've seen a few others but looking for something quick and a splash of color with personality wrasse wise.

I am getting a small pygmy wrasse but those are not the same I guess has those you show here.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder w/LEDs (Upgrade in progress. 30" H x 54" W x 30" D 240 or so gallons)
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2018, 05:18 AM   #28
OrionN
Anemones

Certain wrasses tend to jump more than other. The wrasses that sleep in the sand tend not to jump out when they are not happy. When started, they dive for the sand instead of go airborne. From personal experiences I keep these wrasses in coverless tank for many years and have lost none to jumping:

Leopard Wrasses (only keep M. meleagris group for many years)
Sixline wrasses (will never ever put in my tank again)
H. chrysus. I have to remove him when one day out of the blue he start to take chunks out of my Maxima clam. Was a perfect reef fish prior to that. This was 20 year ago and have not put them in my tanks since.
Harlequin Tusk fish
Cleaner wrasse

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(2), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(trio and a spare)
Old 03/03/2018, 07:34 AM   #29
OrionN
Anemones

So far there is no color lost of my fish. The color intensify when he is excited. My Bluethroat is much more colorful now than when I first got him. Certainly most colorful when he flash. This is a rare treat for me. Since he is the only fairy wrasse in my tank, he only flash when I put a mirror on the tank. I cannot take picture easy when he is flashing since he is right up against the mirror and he is soooo fast.
I think in a larger tank, with other Fairy Wrasse, he will be a stunner. Below are two picture from yesterday when he was not excited and one when he is excited. Sorry for the poor picture but I use this to show the color, not how beautiful my wrasse is. It is hard to take picture of this fish, with a cell phone since I don't have my camera at work. The tank is my office tank.
IMO, the throat color is more of a state of mind of the fish rather than permanent colors that may loose due to inadequate nutrition in captivity.

Normal State

More Excited state

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BluethroatNormal.jpg (61.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg BluethroatExcited.jpg (46.2 KB, 75 views)

Old 03/03/2018, 07:38 AM   #30
OrionN
Anemones

This Wrasse, at least mine, is an easy wrasse to care for. He eats absolutely everything and is getting markedly fatter. I feed the tank small amount of flakes several times a day on the weekday. I also have a nori clip that I put nori in daily. Bluethroat does eat the nori but I have not observe him eat algae on the the rock.

Old 04/16/2018, 10:19 AM   #31
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Just picked up one of these from a local reefer. They're jumpers though, like most fairies. Only fish to ever find it's way out of my socialization box (not sure how). Anyhoo, eats everything and holds it's own against established wrasses.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2018, 07:11 PM   #32
OrionN
Anemones

My wrasse is getting more and more beautiful. He is not aggressive IMO, but can handle his own against a Flame Angel pair, clown pair and a yellow tang

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SailfinFW2018041806.jpg (85.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg SailfinFW2018041804.jpg (94.1 KB, 126 views)

Old 04/19/2018, 04:17 AM   #33
Kactai
Registered Member

Looks great!

Kactai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2018, 05:09 AM   #34
OrionN
Anemones

Thanks. This wrasse actually looks brighter in real live. I did not do any editing.

Anyone else have experiences and pictures?