Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/16/2018, 10:49 AM   #1
mclaman
Registered Member
 
mclaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ladera Ranch, CA
Posts: 602
SPS Dipping

Just getting back into reefing after 8 years away. I was hoping to get some ideas on routines people go through for introducing SPS and other corals into their aquariums. I'm curious what dips people use, their quarantine process and anything else they might do. I remember all the usual pests such as red bugs and AEFW and want to avoid this this go round.


mclaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 11:02 AM   #2
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member
 
DivingTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 1,617
I find the most important thing is to know exactly where your corals are coming from. If buying from a fellow reefer, check out their tank and ask them about their own dipping regime.

For the actual dip, I use Bayer (10ml per 1/2 cup of water). I dip for 15 minutes, followed by two additional freshwater only dips for 15 minutes each. Then into the tank. Quarantine would be better, but I can't set up a second tank.


__________________
Current Tank Info: LeeMar Rimless (40x24x22), ATI 8x39 Dimmable w/Reefbrite Tech, 2x Vortech MP40w QD w/ Battery Backup, Apex Gold, Trigger Systems Ruby30S, Reef Octopus POV-DC1 w/Auto Waste Collector
DivingTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 11:18 AM   #3
mclaman
Registered Member
 
mclaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ladera Ranch, CA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
I find the most important thing is to know exactly where your corals are coming from. If buying from a fellow reefer, check out their tank and ask them about their own dipping regime.

For the actual dip, I use Bayer (10ml per 1/2 cup of water). I dip for 15 minutes, followed by two additional freshwater only dips for 15 minutes each. Then into the tank. Quarantine would be better, but I can't set up a second tank.
What does the Bayer treat? And are you crushing up a pill or do they sell a liquid version?


mclaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 11:29 AM   #4
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member
 
DivingTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaman View Post
What does the Bayer treat? And are you crushing up a pill or do they sell a liquid version?
It's a liquid that you mix with tank water. It's an over the counter pesticide which was sold by Home Depot but I'm not sure if they still carry it. You can get it off Amazon. There are numerous threads on here discussing different recipes using it. From my experience, it's far more effective and far less expensive than the various dips sold through aquarium companies. But...it is a pesticide, so you need to use some precautions such as gloves and proper clean up afterwards.


__________________
Current Tank Info: LeeMar Rimless (40x24x22), ATI 8x39 Dimmable w/Reefbrite Tech, 2x Vortech MP40w QD w/ Battery Backup, Apex Gold, Trigger Systems Ruby30S, Reef Octopus POV-DC1 w/Auto Waste Collector
DivingTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 12:02 PM   #5
mclaman
Registered Member
 
mclaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ladera Ranch, CA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
It's a liquid that you mix with tank water. It's an over the counter pesticide which was sold by Home Depot but I'm not sure if they still carry it. You can get it off Amazon. There are numerous threads on here discussing different recipes using it. From my experience, it's far more effective and far less expensive than the various dips sold through aquarium companies. But...it is a pesticide, so you need to use some precautions such as gloves and proper clean up afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion.


mclaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 12:10 PM   #6
rvareef
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
I find the most important thing is to know exactly where your corals are coming from. If buying from a fellow reefer, check out their tank and ask them about their own dipping regime.

For the actual dip, I use Bayer (10ml per 1/2 cup of water). I dip for 15 minutes, followed by two additional freshwater only dips for 15 minutes each. Then into the tank. Quarantine would be better, but I can't set up a second tank.
this does nothing but make you feel good and does not kill the eggs of the parasites, so if youre not quarantining dont worry about dipping, because dipping once does not kill the eggs, easiest way to avoid pests without a quarantine is to find one person with all the parasite free corals you want and dont keep buying packs or a few corals from multiple sources


rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.