Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2015, 03:19 AM   #1
MrSkumFrog
Registered Member

Germany?

Hello everyone!

The last time I had posted, I had been looking to transfer to a tropical bases position (GS).

After long discussions with my wife. We have reconsidered. We have been seeing a lot of jobs available for me (and some for my wife) in Germany. I had submitted resumes to Stuttgart and Wiesbaden for a transfer. Now, it's a waiting game.

Have you been stationed to either of these locations? Your thoughts on either location? My resources are basically youtube. If there, were you in the hobby at that time? Is Germany the mecca of reefing?

Unread 12/30/2015, 01:15 PM   #2
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkumFrog View Post
Hello everyone!

The last time I had posted, I had been looking to transfer to a tropical bases position (GS).

After long discussions with my wife. We have reconsidered. We have been seeing a lot of jobs available for me (and some for my wife) in Germany. I had submitted resumes to Stuttgart and Wiesbaden for a transfer. Now, it's a waiting game.

Have you been stationed to either of these locations? Your thoughts on either location? My resources are basically youtube. If there, were you in the hobby at that time? Is Germany the mecca of reefing?
Was in Wiesbaden 62-64....was a great station....but we are talking 52 years ago.....great city...close to everything for travel......good housing.....would do it again in a heartbeat!

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 08:16 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

And I was in Berlin 79-81, when there was still a Wall. Loved the city and the people. Great food, even better beer.

IMHO, wherever you go it will be just as good as you make it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 05:46 PM   #4
bhbell
Registered Member

You're going to find a much smaller US footprint in Deutschland now.

bhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2016, 04:52 AM   #5
A.Astore
Registered Member

I was at Spangdahlem from 06 - 10. It was a great experience. I recommend Germany to anyone who has the opportunity.

A.Astore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2016, 11:50 AM   #6
braaap
Registered Member

My cousin is in Germany right now. Rotates out the 19th. I don't think there is much reefkeeping there. Although he may not have time. He used to keep one and doesn't have one now. He LOVES it there though. He is always talking about the food and the beer haha

braaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2016, 08:07 AM   #7
BlackburnD
Registered Member

This thread is a little old now, so I don't know how helpful it will be. My wife was in Wiessbaden for a short time. Then I came to Germany, and they moved her to Hohenfels, so we could be at the same duty station. Stuttgart is not far from us, and I have been there twice. Not a huge fan. Seemed kind of run down. I am currently on my second time living in Hohenfels (this time a civilian). I have not owned a tank here, but I have found a few places that carry fish, corals, and reefer equip. I don't know how big it is here, but it certainly exists.

BlackburnD is offline   Reply With Quote