Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2018, 11:05 AM   #1
crav
Registered Member

34g reef tank stocking

My tank is 32''x16''x16'' (128L ~ 34g). I will have a few SPS and soft corals, and aquascape is going to be minimalist (not that many rocks, more islands, and lots of swimming space).

I intend to stock it with:

- ocellaris pair (or a maroon pair or single maroon)
- sixline wrasse OR cryptic sixline (pink streaked wrasse)
- yellowtail damsel
- yellow eye tang (kole tang)

- 2 peppermint shrimp
- 1 emerald crab

The only other fish I'd want in it is a yellow tang (would be the last to be added). Also I'd trade the wrasse for another similar non agressive one, or a similar fish.

Any advice? What clean up crew would be suggested?

I think the size is ok for a kole tang, and I know a yellow tang is pushing it, but I can set up a bigger system in the future.

I'd skip the wrasse for a similar, non agressive fish, that preferably doesn't spend too much time hiding.

crav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 01:56 AM   #2
agruetz
Registered Member

The Kole Tang needs a minimum of a 70 gallon tank. I do not know of any tangs that are going to survive let alone thrive in a 34 gallon tank. The Maroon Pair will do well. I do not have any experience with the other so I cannot say.

Unread 01/15/2018, 02:08 PM   #3
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

The Tang Police will get made if you put tangs in a tank that small.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Heavysledz
Registered Member

yea, the tang is going to grow to big for that tank in about a years time....so unless you plan on getting rid of him in advance, I would recommend against it.

COC:
- Emerald crab (check)
- Lettuce Nudibranch
- Cerith Snails
- Turbo Snails
- Blue or red Leg Hermit Crabs
- Nassarius Snail
- Sand sifter star or brittle star
- Cleaner or Peppermint shrimp
- Lawnmower Blenny/Goby

Heavysledz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

I wouldn't do any of the tangs. That tank is too small and you will likely see major aggression issues. Also, do not suggest maroon clowns if you want to keep other fish. Maroons are major a-holes. They are extremely aggressive and would probably kill any other fish in the tank. If you want ONLY the pair of maroons, then go for it, but if you want more then clownfish, I highly suggest sticking with the ocellaris pair. Also, do not suggest a yellow-tail damsel...another aggressive fish. They can be okay in larger tanks but in a nano tank you will have a hard time with it not harrassing/even killing other fish. The same goes for the six-line wrasse. It gets pretty aggressive too. I suggest looking at less aggressive fish. Look at some of the gobies and blennies. If you want a wrasse, look at the possum wrasse. They are not aggressive and are pretty cool fish.

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 09:50 PM   #6
crav
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!

I'd get the tangs very young (1'' to 2''). I've got a future project for a new tank that will have the appropriate footprint (4'x20'' footprint) for adults kole and yellow tang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudburst2000 View Post
I wouldn't do any of the tangs. That tank is too small and you will likely see major aggression issues. Also, do not suggest maroon clowns if you want to keep other fish. Maroons are major a-holes. They are extremely aggressive and would probably kill any other fish in the tank. If you want ONLY the pair of maroons, then go for it, but if you want more then clownfish, I highly suggest sticking with the ocellaris pair. Also, do not suggest a yellow-tail damsel...another aggressive fish. They can be okay in larger tanks but in a nano tank you will have a hard time with it not harrassing/even killing other fish. The same goes for the six-line wrasse. It gets pretty aggressive too. I suggest looking at less aggressive fish. Look at some of the gobies and blennies. If you want a wrasse, look at the possum wrasse. They are not aggressive and are pretty cool fish.

Regarding the damsel, I'm aware that they can be a-holes. I've kept a yellow tail before, but it was tame (got lucky). From my experience, it's hit or miss.
Never kept a sixline though, but heard about their temperament.

I've seen a maroon in a community setting, 55g tank. Is it possible in a larger tank, or a no go either way in your experience? Maybe it worked for that tank only temporarily?

The idea was that almost all of the fish are semi-agressive, and the clowns (ocellaris) are mostly ignored + can fight back. Theoretically no fish would be bullied too much.

I though about gobies and blennies, but my options in fish are somewhat limited (I'm in Brazil). I was interested in a goby+shrimp pair, but I don't know if I can get the right species of shrimp here for that.

As for blennies, haven't seen too much interesting ones. Are they especially personable? From what I saw, both gobies and blennies in general were always more shy, hiding a lot of the time amongst corals or in caves. I wanted fish that are out, swimming and active.

Also thought about a dwarf angel, but I don't have any knowledge or experience on them.

crav is offline   Reply With Quote