Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2015, 12:47 PM   #1001
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

They say the color of your sump indicates what kind of mood you are in. Not sure how I'm feeling today:

Unread 11/03/2015, 12:49 PM   #1002
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
I think the Rock work looks fantastic. Too many tanks these days are doing the 'minimal' rock approach, which I think has a nice aesthetic, but is not an environment that more delicate fish do well in.

With your rock structure there is plenty of hiding spots for shyer and smaller fish, and giving them an area to hide and hunt for food will give you a lot more fish opportunities to add to the tank.

If you need help with the Apex (plotting what you need, what components to order, and where to order from), shoot me a PM. I have helped out and installed over 20 Apex and a few of them are extremely complex, with separate buildings for tanks and filtration equipment. So helping you plan for your tank vs sump garage I may have some insight for you.

Dave B
PM Sent. Thank you.

Unread 11/03/2015, 01:33 PM   #1003
csantanavaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
They say the color of your sump indicates what kind of mood you are in. Not sure how I'm feeling today:

Wait till you try out disco mode on the tank with the radions....

Current Tank Info: Reefspace 900 build started! Tank Filled & waiting for the cycle to finish!
csantanavaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 03:18 PM   #1004
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Catalina water truck arriving in 5 minutes. Let's get this party started

Unread 11/03/2015, 03:34 PM   #1005
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
Catalina water truck arriving in 5 minutes. Let's get this party started
Nice! Wet tank coming soon ladies and gents!

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 03:40 PM   #1006
new_world_disor
Registered Member

You know you've made it when you have a mood lit sump haha

new_world_disor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 03:57 PM   #1007
blt4ever
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_world_disor View Post
You know you've made it when you have a mood lit sump haha
And a truck delivering your water, very cool. I've been keeping up with the build, congratulations on an over the top nice setup.

blt4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 04:35 PM   #1008
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

No time for words- just pictures. Details later. Everything flowing well. One minor minor tiny leak. Plumber coming over to fix. Dailing in the pumps so that the flow perfectly matches the return. Everything going great!

Unread 11/03/2015, 04:36 PM   #1009
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Unread 11/03/2015, 04:38 PM   #1010
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

And here is the money shot. A view of the tank from my living room sofa

Sump and skimmer doing great. Water already starting to clear up. Filter socks sucking up a lot of gunk. Enjoy and thanks for tagging along.

Unread 11/03/2015, 05:27 PM   #1011
rickztahone
Registered Member

That last shot is epic

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 07:47 PM   #1012
blt4ever
Registered Member

Very awesome, congratulations on this milestone.

blt4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 08:26 PM   #1013
CafeReef
Registered Member

I cant wait to see this setup a year from today! Looks great

Unread 11/03/2015, 08:33 PM   #1014
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Congrats it's wet now the real fun can begin

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 08:55 PM   #1015
shamus
Registered Member

What a journey! good job on the tank and house. Amazing

shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 09:12 PM   #1016
alin2
Registered Member

Awesome.

alin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2015, 09:39 PM   #1017
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
That last shot is epic
Thank you! When the water clears up, it will be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4ever View Post
Very awesome, congratulations on this milestone.
Thank you. i cant believe it took this long to get here and get this sucker filled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
I cant wait to see this setup a year from today! Looks great
I cant wait to wake up every morning for the rest of my life, have a cup of coffee and enjoy my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernam Invalid View Post
Congrats it's wet now the real fun can begin
I agree. But honestly Im a bit nervous- I've spent so much time planning the plumbing, motors, tank, location, logistics etc etc, now I feel like I don't know what to do with myself. I feel unprepared to start loading the tank up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
What a journey! good job on the tank and house. Amazing
Appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alin2 View Post
Awesome.
Thanks so much.

Im grateful to have all of you follow along on my journey. Phase 1 is over. Next phase begins. You all have been so helpful in the planning phase of my tank, any and all suggestions for a successful startup are welcome and appreciated.

I have my skimmer running. Its bubbling nicely. My two returns pumps I have at about 180 watts each and there is good flow. The filter socks are already starting to fill up with crap.

I have a couple of tunze wave boxes that Im considering setting up. I did not do a closed loop. Wanted to run powerheads- just was afraid of a leak in the living room. I need to start my Apex automation journey. I have to start planning out the fish and decide what corals I want.

I have 3 media reactors that I want to run carbon and gfo in. Everything is running quiet and smooth- its a bit effortless. The hardest and most fun thing was to clean the sediment off the inside of the acrylic. Those of you that told me to get a shorter tank- many thanks. I should have listened. But the height is worth it. This is one task that I will hire someone out for no doubt to come and clean the glass on a regular basis.

Lots to do- so little time.

Frankly its a bit anticlimactic, a bit overwhelming and a bit of satisfaction all at once.

Unread 11/04/2015, 10:48 AM   #1018
new_world_disor
Registered Member

That tanker is crazy big haha! Lookimg really good!

new_world_disor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2015, 10:57 AM   #1019
Pastey
Registered Member

My only question is: why are you not on the other side of the tank in the bar having an old fashioned right now???

Time of day makes no difference on an occasion such as this

Unread 11/04/2015, 11:09 AM   #1020
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastey View Post
My only question is: why are you not on the other side of the tank in the bar having an old fashioned right now???

Time of day makes no difference on an occasion such as this
waiting for the cloudy water to dissipate. Definitely time for a cocktail tonight.

Unread 11/04/2015, 12:07 PM   #1021
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Congrats on getting it wet, just did the same myself recently, it looks great. I think salt water dictates the use of rum in that drink, enjoy!

tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2015, 12:21 PM   #1022
wild1
Registered Member

Quote:

WHAT no Brown, in case your feeling crappy....lol Sorry I couldn't resist!

Unread 11/04/2015, 12:31 PM   #1023
oldbones
Registered Member

Fantastic! Now, here's the hard part. Tank is full of water and looking beautiful, but you have to wait WEEKS before you can put any critters in it! Well, live critters anyway. If it were mine, there would already be a few raw shrimp floating around in there. Wait, with the size and magnificence of that system, maybe a whole lobster tail would be more fitting???

Also... We need to have a talk about stocking that bar. I know Pappy is difficult to come by, and frankly, way over priced. However, there's a LOT of room between there and Makers Mark.

oldbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2015, 01:03 PM   #1024
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Raw shrimp has been inserted. Bar stocking in progress. Brown mode for sump happened this morning as I awoke to find the level in the tank had dropped 8 inches only to find out one of my pump controllers had failed. They are sending me a new one asap.

Tank level back to normal as I adjusted switches and valves and flow. Luckily I had two return pumps so all is not lost.

tank is cycling now. Im tempted to throw some fish in there but patience is a virtue.

Unread 11/04/2015, 01:45 PM   #1025
CuzzA
Registered Member

A tank with this volume could have nearly immediate "small" additions of fish without having to be concerned about ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Of course the issue is quarantine and a tank this size would be a nightmare to try and catch fish to fallow the tank.

What's your qt plan?

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote