Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 12:50 PM   #1
cnestor
Registered Member

Algae Finger

I have an issue with finger algae (Neomeris Annulata) that's spreading like weeds (see picture).
I brushed a few rocks with white vinegar to dissolve the skeleton, it seems to work but I still have a lot left where I can only remove the algae manually one at a time , and this thing seems to multiply like anything else .
If anybody had any chance eradicating it please let me know how.

My parameters are:
PH:8.2
KH:8
Ca:400
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Phosphate:0
Salinity:1025
Mg: ?

I am dosing b-ionic 2 parts daily.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

cnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 03:03 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Being that it is a Calcium based algae you could try starving it out by lowering your Calcium for awhile and see if that helps. Manually remove what you can and maybe smother any remaining tissue with some epoxy. A wire brush can work wonders too though. Good luck!

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLi...CritterID=2046

Last edited by AlSimmons; 01/21/2018 at 11:50 AM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 12:42 AM   #3
JTJreef
Registered Member

I’ve had it before. Seemed to starve itself out. After spreading for awhile it slowly died off. I haven’t had any in years. I’d try chemipure and Vibrant reef additive.

JTJreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 08:33 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Depending on the type of lighting you can change it around to mess with the spectrum..
I've seen neomeris problems go away just from a change in the lighting spectrum..

Unread 01/21/2018, 09:00 AM   #5
cnestor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJreef View Post
I’ve had it before. Seemed to starve itself out. After spreading for awhile it slowly died off. I haven’t had any in years. I’d try chemipure and Vibrant reef additive.
Not sure I want to go that way. It overtaking the corals, zoa, acan are not opening anymore, so I had to relocate the corals, extract the rock and clean, but some rocks are just inaccessible unless I take down the tank....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

cnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 10:55 AM   #6
kware
Registered Member

I have the same algae. It’s hard to remove and it can take over your tank. I’d love to know how to get rid of it.

kware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Drix
Premium Member

Burn it with fire. That might be some of the most invasive algae we see. It's taken over my tank, has had a foot hold for years and no amount of calcium starvation (I haven't dosed calcium in at least 7 years), temperature changing, or anything else I've looked at has mattered.

My next step might be to literally boil my LR. I'm considering just boiling up some water, dunking my LR for a few minutes and seeing how it goes- i not only want to kill off the algae but I also want to nuke the spores and root structure. I'm planning on doing a YouTube series on the rebuild of my infested tank as I rehab it back if I can find a place to start.

Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 12:44 PM   #8
kware
Registered Member

Same for me i’ve Had the stuff for a few years now
It doesn’t go away

kware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 12:56 PM   #9
tonyreef
Registered Member

It was on my rock too and it is going away on its own I do have a tuxedo urchin that seems to help a little. Just be patient let it grow out. It will get about 3" long then break away, I siphon out about 30 or 40 every week now & it's just about gone. I freaked at first too but as it grew more and more were piling up on the bottom.

tonyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Drix
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreef View Post
It was on my rock too and it is going away on its own I do have a tuxedo urchin that seems to help a little. Just be patient let it grow out. It will get about 3" long then break away, I siphon out about 30 or 40 every week now & it's just about gone. I freaked at first too but as it grew more and more were piling up on the bottom.
From what I've read tuxedo urchins and black longspines will eat it, however, it's a matter of how much do you have. This stuff is prolific,so if you're not ontop of it it will out pace your urchin quick. I'm not sure how many you would need to be able to cover what size tank to ensure eradication either.

Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 02:23 PM   #11
tonyreef
Registered Member

My tuxedo urchin didn't out write eat it he kind of took bites out of the base of them which led to the decay then it would fall away. The rest just petered out?

Last edited by tonyreef; 01/21/2018 at 02:32 PM.
tonyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 11:52 PM   #12
tonyjd34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post

My next step might be to literally boil my LR. I'm considering just boiling up some water, dunking my LR for a few minutes and seeing how it goes
Please do not do this! boiling live rock can release toxic gases that can be very harmful to your health and can land you in the ER and leave you with long lasting medical conditions.

tonyjd34 is offline   Reply With Quote