Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2019, 01:48 AM   #1
raydeon
Registered Member

A reliable/inexpensive RO/DI, heater, skimmer?

can any of you pros suggest some reliable/inexpensive items/brand to start my tank?

ive had fresh water fish for decades and interested in setting up my first saltwater tank. I've read some of the stickies on this forum but none tells which one to get.

thanks !!

raydeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 04:28 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

RO/DI... check out airwaterice.com, bulkreefsupply, buckeye hydro, and Spectrapure..
Can't go wrong with any units those companies sell.

Heater.. Eheim Jager.. Nothing else

Skimmer... What size tank? I really like my Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer..

Unread 06/17/2019, 05:58 AM   #3
j.falk
Registered Member

If you are patient, Black Friday deals on RODI units from some of the companies mentioned above are some of the best prices of the year.

Note 1: When it comes to this hobby, don't be in a rush. Save up $ for good quality equipment if you need to. Quality equipment will last you for years to come whereas cheap items will cost you more in the long run. I learned this the hard way. Save yourself the headache. Good lights, good filtration, good skimmers...this stuff costs more money upfront...but it is worth it in the long run.

Note 2: Don't build a tank you can't afford. I see a lot of people who buy big tanks because they find cheap deals on used aquariums and then don't have the money to maintain them. Saltwater is not a cheap hobby. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by j.falk; 06/17/2019 at 06:07 AM.
j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 06:35 AM   #4
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

for RODI i've had two Spectrapure units for years now and love them:
https://www.spectrapure.com/product-...s/rodi-90-gpd/

for heaters, i like my ViaAqua, i have two of the older models:
https://www.marinedepot.com/ViaAqua_...A73558-vi.html

for skimmers, i like both of my Reef Octopus:
http://reefoctopus.com/

and for ATO, i couldn't reef without my Tunze:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze...o-top-off.html

i highly recommend avoiding cheap equipment. i've bought, then subsequently replaced about every piece of kit i have before i wised up and started buying the good one the first time.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

For the heater, the Fluval E - Series.
It’s digital, it’s smart, on board screen digital temp coloured for easy checking, comes in a cage will never get stuck on and boil your fish.

I replaced every Jager I had with this heater!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 01:12 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Get your posts up and look for deals in the selling forum. You need to have 50 post to access that section. Join your local (state) reefers forum and check out that selling section for used equipment. Possibly ebay.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 08:15 PM   #7
jphayes921
Registered Member

http://fountainheadwatersystems.com/aquariums.html

Cheap, but quality RO/DI. I have not had any issues with mine. Add booster pump, pressure gauge, pressure switch and you are all set.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jphayes921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 01:22 PM   #8
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Check out the simplicity line of skimmers.

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...otein-skimmers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2019, 12:35 PM   #9
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
If you are patient, Black Friday deals on RODI units from some of the companies mentioned above are some of the best prices of the year.

Note 1: When it comes to this hobby, don't be in a rush. Save up $ for good quality equipment if you need to. Quality equipment will last you for years to come whereas cheap items will cost you more in the long run. I learned this the hard way. Save yourself the headache. Good lights, good filtration, good skimmers...this stuff costs more money upfront...but it is worth it in the long run.

Note 2: Don't build a tank you can't afford. I see a lot of people who buy big tanks because they find cheap deals on used aquariums and then don't have the money to maintain them. Saltwater is not a cheap hobby. Plan accordingly.

1) Amen
2) Amen

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote