Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 08:34 PM   #1
jjoos99
Registered Member

low iron glass, is it worth the extra $

Been planning on a new tank build for alittle while now and was wondering if low iron glass is worth the extra money and is the viewing that much different then standard glass. I have read where the low iron glass will scratch easier, truth or fiction?
thanks
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:45 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It has improved optical clarity.. Many have stated that it was worth it to them...

And I don't believe it scratches any easier on average.. The hardness of low iron and regular float glass are basically identical so it shouldn't but it really depends on the specific glass being used as hardness can vary by glass manufacturer..
Scratches may be more pronounced in low iron hence the rumor..

Unread 03/22/2018, 05:38 AM   #3
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
It has improved optical clarity.. Many have stated that it was worth it to them...

And I don't believe it scratches any easier on average.. The hardness of low iron and regular float glass are basically identical so it shouldn't but it really depends on the specific glass being used as hardness can vary by glass manufacturer..
Scratches may be more pronounced in low iron hence the rumor..
What he said! I have a 29 gallon made by the original Oceanic with PPG Starfire glass, and it has no scratches in 15 years. My Planet Crystalline on the other hand has some and I just use a plastic scraper and its only a couple years old

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:44 AM   #4
gargoylenest
Registered Member

I believe low iron makes a difference on thick panels. On small 5 gallon tank, you wont see the diff, but if you go on a 700 gal with 1inch glass panel, that might make a big difference

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 01:01 PM   #5
UnderCoverDork
Registered Member

i have a 65g starfire tank by Coast to Coast Custom Aquariums and it's beautiful. No scratches, yet. i'm using a acrylic mag float to clean the glass.

UnderCoverDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:38 PM   #6
earwicker7
Registered Member

Unless it's a walk-around tank, just use it on the front, and you can save some money.

And yes, it's worth it.

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 05:06 PM   #7
jjoos99
Registered Member

Can low iron glass be drilled just like standard glass? I'm looking at a new tank that was built but the order was cancelled. It needs a top frame, holes in bottom panel sealed over and holes drilled for a synergy overflow in the back panel. From the pics it looks like all sides are low iron.
Thanks for the advice
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 05:58 PM   #8
JaimeAdams
PMASI

To me, it's how clean do you keep the glass. A slight biofilm at there goes your clarity. I could see there being truth to the comments in regards to thick glass panels.

JaimeAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 06:02 PM   #9
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

Absolutely. I have an AGE peninsula and every side is low iron. 96x48x30 The tank is bright. If it was green glass the standard stuff it would not be as bright. If I ordered a standard 3 sided tank I would probably do all 3 sides so it would look consistent. no scratches yet and never using a magnet.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 08:36 PM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

For anything north of 40g, I'd consider low iron glass. You lose something that you don't realize you're missing when you have a thicker tank with regular glass. The difference is obvious when you're in front of it, but not so much otherwise. I'd still go for it if you can.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:21 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I ended up concluding low iron was not worth the extra cost - at least not for 1/2" walls. The difference is apparent when the tank is empty (and certainly when looking down through the edge of the glass) but far less so when filled. If you want absolute clarity, go acrylic. It adds no color at all. I have heard a few complaints of 'etching' with low iron glass, but just anecdotes.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 06:33 AM   #12
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

my current tank has a Starfire (low iron) front panel, it made a big difference over my 75 that did not.

the 75 definitely added a small amount of green "tint" when viewing. this isn't something i ever really noticed unless i took a top down view vs front on, but it does happen. there was a noticeable difference when moving things in to the new tank.

FWIW i've found the specific panel on my tank very easy to scratch with things stuck in my mag float. so now, i usually just don't use my mag float, but rather a regular scraper, that seems to work better.

ultimately, is it worth it? for me yes, on any panel you will regularly be viewing the tank through.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 08:18 AM   #13
McPuff
Registered Member

I bought my tank used and it has 3 sides starphire glass... so for me I wasn't paying a premium for the extra clarity. Comparing this to my previous 120 (1/2") regular glass... not even close. The colors are much more vivid. You can really tell how much the color is changed if you look at your corals/fish from above, them look through the glass. There is minimal difference with the low iron glass. There is a large difference between the glass types. Whether it is worth it depends on your preference 100%. I'd go see a couple tanks in person so you can make a more informed decision on which you prefer.

If I were to buy a new tank it would only be if I was able to go larger than 300 and I would either 1) only get the front panel in low iron, or 2) not get any low iron glass. It's an amazing price jump and for me a large tank would be mainly about the fish... so ultra clear glass would not be a priority.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote