Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2019, 07:51 PM   #526
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ooh, that sounds nice! I look forward to seeing your haul!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2019, 07:27 PM   #527
vlangel
Registered Member

See this Instagram photo by @vlangelbike https://www.instagram.com/p/BxqU5YhJ...n_native_share

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2019, 09:42 PM   #528
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool pic! Good luck with them!

Unread 05/20/2019, 05:29 AM   #529
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Cool pic! Good luck with them!
Thanks Michael, they all look good this morning except the war coral. The super glue did not bond it to the rock and its gone. 😕 Hopefully I can find it. The other 5 corals seem to be liking where I placed them though.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 05/20/2019, 05:01 PM   #530
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

With the new SPS corals, what will you do differently?

Unread 05/21/2019, 05:49 PM   #531
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
With the new SPS corals, what will you do differently?
I guess I will have to do some testing to see how much alk and CA is being used. I think 2 part will be able to keep up. I am hoping to add it to the water change water but I may need to do it more often than once a week. I hope it wont be a daily duty though.

Unread 05/21/2019, 06:44 PM   #532
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, two-part was what I was thinking too. I'm excited for you!

Unread 05/23/2019, 09:43 AM   #533
vlangel
Registered Member

As things often happen, I stumbled onto a cool thing quite by accident. My gyre was eroding my DSB at the front of the tank. I wondered if I put some larger rubble rock pieces under the sand with smaller pieces more at the surface if it would impede the erosion. Not only does it seem to be working but its a pretty cool looking zone in and of itself. It is the perfect place for a jawfish lair and they have been on my wish list. I plan to do a video soon so anyone interested can see it then. O yeah, I think I will order some pods and squirt them in that area as its a good safe place from most of the fish.

Unread 05/23/2019, 01:57 PM   #534
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I love it when that happens! It's magic. I could see a jawfish in your tank, big time. You're really getting a nice, peaceful community of fish. Agreed on the pod addition too. Coarse gravel makes for a handy refuge for them.

Unread 05/24/2019, 05:50 AM   #535
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Oh goody, new stuff in the tank! That is a great deal!!! Jawfish are very cool fish. They should be a good fit in your tank depending on the species you get. I'd stay away from a blue spotted jawfish, as they do best in cooler water, unless you want to reduce your tank temps. With sps, that's probably not a good idea. Nice FTS!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 03:06 PM   #536
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

Where did u find that seahorse statue u had in tank?

Forgiven1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 06:01 PM   #537
Systemwizardinc
Registered Member

i just cant seem to keep a seahorse alive

Systemwizardinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 04:52 PM   #538
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1973 View Post
Where did u find that seahorse statue u had in tank?
I used to work at a lfs and they had it. Unfortunately they closed down about 5 years ago, so I don't even know where they found it.

Unread 05/27/2019, 04:56 PM   #539
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemwizardinc View Post
i just cant seem to keep a seahorse alive
They have very specific needs that must be met or else they don't do well.

Their immune systems are more inefficient than other fishes so bacterial infections of the gut, gills or skin are a problem unless pathogenic bacteria is kept in check.

Unread 05/31/2019, 05:34 AM   #540
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/xn9vKrLLW8I
I took a feeding video yesterday. You can see all the fish plus the new rubble zone in the right foreground. I get close to see one of my crabs motoring through the rubble. I am seeing copepods in that area which is very exciting and also lots of micro brittle stars. Its a fun place to check out with a magnifying glass.

Unread 05/31/2019, 07:24 AM   #541
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice video Dawn. Lots of serpent stars and chubby fish! The tank looks good too. I like the rubble zone. The Red Grapes look very happy. I wish I had as much luck with them as you do. Nice!

Unread 06/01/2019, 05:37 AM   #542
vlangel
Registered Member

I love having chubby fish. I try to keep myself, my hubby and my dog lean but I like my fish chubby, LOL. I am really happy with the rubble zone. I am hoping I can see amphipods tunneling and such.

Yes, I have had good luck with red grape as long as I keep the green grape and caulerpa prolifera pruned back. I can tell that I am due for a WC however. I think the coral are either getting too much PO4 or not enough nutrients because they have browned out a bit.

Unread 06/03/2019, 01:52 PM   #543
vlangel
Registered Member

Today I gave all the tanks some overdue love, but especially the 56 high nutrient tank. I did a bigger than usual WC because I never got to it last week. I also did a good job on the glass rather than just using the magnet cleaner. I removed a few bubble algaes that I saw, pruned back the grape caulerpa and removed all the caulerpa prolifera I saw except the one area I am allowing it to grow. I like that Marmalade eats some of it and maybe the linear blenny does too. It stays pretty short anyhow which is great. I also dosed coral vite, strongium and iodine. Finally I changed the filter floss. Tonight I hope to check PO4 and NO3 just to make sure they are not crazy out of line.

Unread 06/05/2019, 05:09 AM   #544
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/p3QzjcGdJOs
I had not posted a video of the ponies for a while so here is a short clip.

Unread 06/05/2019, 06:18 AM   #545
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
https://youtu.be/xn9vKrLLW8I
I took a feeding video yesterday.
That tank is just so FULL of life. Well done!

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2019, 07:26 AM   #546
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool vid. Those seahorses are fascinating! Also, I'm jealous of your red grapes…

Unread 06/05/2019, 07:55 AM   #547
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I loved both videos Dawn, and your tank. The aquascaping is really well done, and the rubble is a nice touch. The fish look very happy, and of course, your blennies are so fun. The barnacle blenny is so cute!!!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2019, 10:20 AM   #548
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
That tank is just so FULL of life. Well done!
Thank you Eric. What I really enjoy about a marine reef is all the diversity. I am endeavoring to pack as much in this tank as is safe for the inhabitants. Someday when I hook it up to the sump where water changes are a breese, I will add more creatures. For now I am enjoying what I have. 😊

Unread 06/05/2019, 10:30 AM   #549
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I loved both videos Dawn, and your tank. The aquascaping is really well done, and the rubble is a nice touch. The fish look very happy, and of course, your blennies are so fun. The barnacle blenny is so cute!!!
Thanks Kevin. Both tanks are doing well. I also love the aquascape of the 56g. It has a lot of rock and sand without feeling crowded. Mostly it was just dumb luck but hey, I will take it.

The blennies are so much fun, especially the 2 barnacle blennies and the 2 combtooth blennies. I never get tired of watching them.

Thanks for the tips on the jawfish. I will probably go for dusky jawfish after reading your comments in Michael's thread. I would expect a jawfish to build in the rubble zone, or at least that is my hope.

Unread 06/05/2019, 10:33 AM   #550
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool vid. Those seahorses are fascinating! Also, I'm jealous of your red grapes…
I am jealous of your sargassum and quite a few other macros that you have, so I think I win in the 'envy' column.